Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 November 2015, 20:02
Drawing my cutlass

GORUCK Heavy tomorrow in Tampa. 24 hours of suck starting at Cypress Point Park; one event we've been given a WARNORD on is an 18-mile timed, long walk with, of course, a ruck; the standard is 15 minute miles.

Attrition rate on this one is about 50%. Regardless of my own personal outcome, I'll post an AAR.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 5 November 2015, 20:39
Been There Done That

^outstanding. Sounds like a good challenge. Best wishes.

What type of Ruck do you personally use?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 November 2015, 20:43
The Sagacious One

Bonne Chance!

Let these words echo through your head.....

........Though I be the lone survivor
Old 5 November 2015, 21:04
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^outstanding. Sounds like a good challenge. Best wishes.

What type of Ruck do you personally use?
Thank you, it will be a real challenge.

I use a GR0, which fits my frame perfectly and holds a plate, water bladder and the rest of the packing list. Think the Delta's medic bag. Pricey, but it has a lifetime guarantee against damage except if you drill drain holes.

For training I use a 45lb plate, but the standard for the event is 30. Total weight for the Heavy is a little north of 45lbs.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 5 November 2015, 21:06
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Bonne Chance!

Let these words echo through your head.....

........Though I be the lone survivor
Thank you, I will pass out before I give up.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Old 6 November 2015, 09:12
Confirmed User

I did a GR event on Oct 17. It reminded me of the things I miss--and do not miss--about being in the military. All in all, quite a lot of fun. The event cadre were exceptional.
Old 10 November 2015, 00:08
Drawing my cutlass

First off, I failed. I rounded the first half of the 18 mile long walk below the standard and was told to pick it up by the Cadre. At about the 10 mile mark, I had a sudden and violent ulcerative colitis flare up and politely put it was not a pretty sight. As much as I wanted to crawl the next 8 miles, I could not physically move without causing more damage.

Some observations:

1. Getting old (57) sucks. When I was in my 20s and 30s I could shake off shit because my internals were humming like a proverbial machine. In my late 50s the machine has seen some mileage and is running down.

2. Getting old does not keep you from working hard, but when your system is compromised (in this case my intestines) there is no PT on the face of the earth that will correct internal issues. I'll get this fixed.

3. This was fucking disappointing.

These are not excuses and after feeling sorry for myself for about 10 minutes, I made the decision to go again (Jacksonville 3/31/16). Never give up.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Old 10 November 2015, 00:36
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Think of the number of people your age fighting diabeetus, and chill out. You're good, dude. Don't let disappointment get in between you and satisfaction.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 10 November 2015, 03:25
What could possibly go wrong?

Reading these comments reminded me of a couple occasions that I said to myself that I was too old to still be running hard. The latest being climbing a goat trail in AF, thousands of feet elevation, with sheer kill you drop on one side and bad guys down the other side. Oh yeah, it was pitch black and under nods with a hard TOT......and be completely silent.
Later, i said it just wasn't hard enough. Next time we need to blind ourselves in one eye or do it on one leg.

I've been asked by friends to do these events and I try to explain why I don't feel the need to do them anymore or prove anything to myself.
But good on those of you who do...they are challenging
Old 10 November 2015, 09:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
First off, I failed. I rounded the first half of the 18 mile long walk below the standard and was told to pick it up by the Cadre. At about the 10 mile mark, I had a sudden and violent ulcerative colitis flare up and politely put it was not a pretty sight. As much as I wanted to crawl the next 8 miles, I could not physically move without causing more damage.

Some observations:

1. Getting old (57) sucks. When I was in my 20s and 30s I could shake off shit because my internals were humming like a proverbial machine. In my late 50s the machine has seen some mileage and is running down.

2. Getting old does not keep you from working hard, but when your system is compromised (in this case my intestines) there is no PT on the face of the earth that will correct internal issues. I'll get this fixed.

These are not excuses and after feeling sorry for myself for about 10 minutes, I made the decision to go again (Jacksonville 3/31/16). Never give up.
That old saying, "do you hurt or are you injured?" Well, you were injured, and you live to fight another day. There will be another.
Old 10 November 2015, 09:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
I've been asked by friends to do these events and I try to explain why I don't feel the need to do them anymore or prove anything to myself.
I was in the same boat, but when the opportunity came up to do a GR custom event with my workout group, the price was right, I had the weekend off, so I figured, what the hell.

I have to say, it was nice to see that the first time since I was in the military a bunch of guys give up "self" for "team", and for the vast, vast majority who had not been in the service before, you could see the lights come on. For them it was just a wee taste. For the rest of us, a reminder.
Old 10 November 2015, 09:44
BTDT

Quote:

Some observations:

Hold your head high...
Old 10 November 2015, 17:12
Drawing my cutlass

Thank you, all. In the heat of the moment it's hard to keep emotions in check. However, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and find a solution. There is always a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Think of the number of people your age fighting diabeetus, and chill out. You're good, dude. Don't let disappointment get in between you and satisfaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SGT View Post
Reading these comments reminded me of a couple occasions that I said to myself that I was too old to still be running hard. The latest being climbing a goat trail in AF, thousands of feet elevation, with sheer kill you drop on one side and bad guys down the other side. Oh yeah, it was pitch black and under nods with a hard TOT......and be completely silent.
Later, i said it just wasn't hard enough. Next time we need to blind ourselves in one eye or do it on one leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
That old saying, "do you hurt or are you injured?" Well, you were injured, and you live to fight another day. There will be another.
Quote:
I was in the same boat, but when the opportunity came up to do a GR custom event with my workout group, the price was right, I had the weekend off, so I figured, what the hell.

I have to say, it was nice to see that the first time since I was in the military a bunch of guys give up "self" for "team", and for the vast, vast majority who had not been in the service before, you could see the lights come on. For them it was just a wee taste. For the rest of us, a reminder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Hold your head high...

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Old 10 November 2015, 22:12
Another pool cleaner

Justaclerk, at least you tried.

Now train and get better.
Old 10 November 2015, 22:55
Authorized Personnel

I was recently on a solo hike about 3,000 ft up in the mountains (above the tree line) and 5-6 miles into my hike. There was 5 inches of snow on the ground and it was a poorly marked trail. I stopped to catch my breath and realized that I could no longer see the trail, there were no other footprints in the snow, and I was almost at my self-imposed turn around time. I took off my pack, drank some water, and ate one of my anti-bear throw-down Snickers bars while I considered my situation. I realized the best part of getting old was knowing my limitations. I put on my fleece (unneeded going uphill), my pack, and followed my own footprints back to the trail, my car, and a hot shower at my hotel. At my age or yours, it's better to live and hike another day than it is to be a brave victim getting evacuated by the PJs.
Old 17 July 2017, 13:34
I aim to misbehave

I finally let a friend talk me into doing a Goruck event last month. Jedburgh event, so more "scenario" based, with lots of patrolling and recon activities and that sort of thing. It was extremely physical, but without the physicality being the purpose of the whole thing. I had never agreed to do one before, just because I couldn't see the point in paying money to have someone PT me when I could do that myself.

That said, I had an absolute blast at the Jed event...which led to letting another friend talk me into doing the Light here in Atlanta in a few weeks.

It is worth noting, the improvements in rucks since I was in are pretty phenomenal. I took my old ALICE pack, and while I didn't regret it, I did pick up some of the other guys' rucks, and was amazed at how much easier they were to carry, with the same amount of weight in them.

Anyway...point being, I had a lot of fun, and will probably do quite a few more GR events moving forward. The cadre were incredibly good, the classes were well designed, and the scenarios were ass-kickers.

While true:
Continue
Old 17 July 2017, 14:09
0311/8651

I'm 68. Bad right knee. still do workouts as you know. Will go down swinging. ok, I'm getting one of handicap cards, tired of seeing want a be's that haven't done crap parking close to the door, so to speak.
It's almost time for a boxing workout!
Old 17 July 2017, 14:22

I did Jedburg a few years ago. I thought the role players in the scenarios did a great job challenging us to think on our feet.

I also did something called Constellation a couple weeks ago. I would skip it. Promising idea but the scenarios and field work fell flat.
Old 17 July 2017, 16:10
Confirmed User

GR used to have three events: the Light, the Challenge/Tough, and the Heavy. Now they have a crapload. My workout group has a subgroup that does all the events within 100 miles.

I did the one, I'm good, but it did get me rucking for fitness.
Old 17 July 2017, 16:46
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
GR used to have three events: the Light, the Challenge/Tough, and the Heavy. Now they have a crapload. My workout group has a subgroup that does all the events within 100 miles.

I did the one, I'm good, but it did get me rucking for fitness.
I don't really know what to expect from the Light I'm doing. I mean, I don't expect it to kick my ass physically, but I don't know if it will be "fun," or not. If it's not, I'll limit myself to things like the Jed. If I enjoy it...then I guess I'll look for more to do. I don't have anything to "prove" to myself at a civilian event...I'm just looking for things that are fun and keep me active.

While true:
Continue

Our new posting rules