SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 August 2020, 23:05
Confirmed User

Sig Sauer M17 / P320: Is this gun safe?

Sig Sauer is getting sued again for the various combinations of this gun, with improved trigger etc, firing on its own.

Multiple LEO body cam showing holstered gun firing on its own with no shell ejection.

The US Army said we’ll take the gun but you need to fix, pretty much everything except the plastic.

Why oh why didn’t The Army pick the Beretta, or Glock, or S&W...all seem to be better pistols.

https://youtu.be/-SBpZBs3foA

https://www.nhpr.org/post/nh-man-sue...-pull#stream/0
Old 8 August 2020, 23:27
0311/8651

My 19x Glock shoots just fine
Old 9 August 2020, 07:53
BTDT

I wouldn't own one. The lawsuit examples are staggering. The 'Guns & Gadgets' YouTube Channel did a breakdown of all of them (or most - there were a ton).

The Karen Proclamation: “I fear the virus. I fear the outside. I fear other citizens. I will remain inside forever and live twice is long. I sit with Karen, now and eternally.”
Old 9 August 2020, 08:38
Freelancer

Couple of questions.

1) What holsters are being used?
2) Were said holsters correct for that weapon?

As we know folks don't like to spend money on quality holsters. So I can see someone using a holster that sort of fits their weapon.

Be curious if any of the alleged failures FCUs were fucked with by end users to " make it better.". Not defending SIG, seen enough botched kitchen table gunsmith jobs to cast some doubt.

Any issues with the X series guns?
Old 9 August 2020, 09:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Couple of questions.

1) What holsters are being used?
2) Were said holsters correct for that weapon?

As we know folks don't like to spend money on quality holsters. So I can see someone using a holster that sort of fits their weapon.

Be curious if any of the alleged failures FCUs were fucked with by end users to " make it better.". Not defending SIG, seen enough botched kitchen table gunsmith jobs to cast some doubt.

Any issues with the X series guns?

I can’t speak to whether the holsters were monkeyed with or not. But in the video the dude going over the lawsuit mentioned many many police officers body cam or dash cam capturing the guns discharging with no stimulus. I wouldn’t think those holsters would be too modified.

If I understood the video correctly the problem with the gun is that the sear is not robust enough to keep the firing pin from self firing. The US Army apparently was/is aware of it before they ordered the gun, asked Sig to change pretty much all internals and with a wink and a nod Sig won the contract but didn’t change anything.

I was looking into getting one and people seem to like them. But the gun doesn’t seem safe to me and was wondering about others experience.
Old 9 August 2020, 09:38
Red Headed Stepchild

Given the body cam evidence, if you have to ask "is this gun safe", my question would be why are you even considering one?
Old 9 August 2020, 09:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Given the body cam evidence, if you have to ask "is this gun safe", my question would be why are you even considering one?
Ha! I’m not any longer. I guess I was just curious about the pistol in a larger sense.
Old 9 August 2020, 10:17
Authorized Personnel

SOF is using G19s and with the way that Big Army is currently trying to make everyone special, I'm not sure why they didn't go with the Glock. Didn't they even put a manual safety on their submission to appease Uncle Sugar?

Y'all have fun with your Sigs, I'll never buy another.
Old 9 August 2020, 10:36
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
SOF is using G19s and with the way that Big Army is currently trying to make everyone special, I'm not sure why they didn't go with the Glock. Didn't they even put a manual safety on their submission to appease Uncle Sugar?

Y'all have fun with your Sigs, I'll never buy another.
Yep Glock offered weapons with a safety to the Army. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys who wrote the RFP and tested it now work for a Sig sub-contractor.
Old 9 August 2020, 10:38
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Dibiase View Post
I can’t speak to whether the holsters were monkeyed with or not. But in the video the dude going over the lawsuit mentioned many many police officers body cam or dash cam capturing the guns discharging with no stimulus. I wouldn’t think those holsters would be too modified.

If I understood the video correctly the problem with the gun is that the sear is not robust enough to keep the firing pin from self firing. The US Army apparently was/is aware of it before they ordered the gun, asked Sig to change pretty much all internals and with a wink and a nod Sig won the contract but didn’t change anything.

I was looking into getting one and people seem to like them. But the gun doesn’t seem safe to me and was wondering about others experience.
I tested the X-Carry pretty extensively bought it used. I also had holster that properly fit the weapon made. I only bring up holsters as I've seen people use cardboard and tape to make their gun fit. I have also watched people buy a new weapon then go to the bargain bin for a rig. Blackhawk makes a one size fits all holster IIRC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 320 FCU is like the Rem 700 trigger. You fuck with it, you might compromise safety.

The only modification I did was change to a WC grip module.
Old 9 August 2020, 10:44
Hard to Kill

I have an M 17 and after 1k rds, no issues. Maybe I need to sell it. Or get it fixed.

ETA, I just checked and mine has the Voluntary Upgrades discussed in the article.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 9 August 2020 at 11:01.
Old 10 August 2020, 09:21
BTDT

First Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBpZBs3foA

Follow-Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTtnrFPLGs

The Karen Proclamation: “I fear the virus. I fear the outside. I fear other citizens. I will remain inside forever and live twice is long. I sit with Karen, now and eternally.”
Old 10 August 2020, 10:53
I reckon so. . .

I knew we'd discussed this here before. . . .miss those gavin supplied Zingers LOL.
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=125906

*Victims* Hate Winners.
Old 10 August 2020, 14:24

The ONLY issue I have with mine, is the screws holding the sight plate. After about 50 rounds, it'll come loose. I know I need to pop some blue loctite on there, I've just been lazy.
Outside of that, zero issues. Trigger is great, everything feels great in my hand, and I'm drilling at 25 yds, so far. haven't tried pushing it out any further than that.
I'll have to check to see if mine came with the upgrades. Bought it new, stock, haven't modified it, yet.
Old 11 August 2020, 21:00
Been There Done That

If there is doubt, there is no doubt.
Old 12 August 2020, 09:27
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I tested the X-Carry pretty extensively bought it used. I also had holster that properly fit the weapon made. I only bring up holsters as I've seen people use cardboard and tape to make their gun fit. I have also watched people buy a new weapon then go to the bargain bin for a rig. Blackhawk makes a one size fits all holster IIRC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 320 FCU is like the Rem 700 trigger. You fuck with it, you might compromise safety.

The only modification I did was change to a WC grip module.
I bet this is beyond holster issues.

That said, to not bring up holsters is ignoring the alt-elephant.
I holster and unholster as part of my work. All day/every day. I can feel material get in the way and redirect it with a slight movement and not have to look down.

And while many people will tell you that all 1911's fit the same holster, I can say they don't. Otherwise I wouldn't have 25+ molds for the things.
I probably have 5 or 6 slightly different molds for the P320 SIG alone.

*Victims* Hate Winners.
Old 12 August 2020, 11:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post

I holster and unholster as part of my work. All day/every day. I can feel material get in the way and redirect it with a slight movement and not have to look down.

And while many people will tell you that all 1911's fit the same holster, I can say they don't. Otherwise I wouldn't have 25+ molds for the things.
Les Baers sure don’t fit other 1911 molds.
Old 12 August 2020, 18:29
Ditch Doc

I've been happy with mine. I've carried it every day since getting it. Put a couple thousand rounds through it without any hiccups, ball or HP. Only mod done to it was changing to the "x" grip. I haven't sent it in for the factory upgrade, not sure I will.
Old 14 August 2020, 09:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
ETA, I just checked and mine has the Voluntary Upgrades discussed in the article.

Same here. I'm glad they got it fixed because I love mine.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 14 August 2020, 11:54
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post

I agree, I like to start with simple stuff first. Holster, TV tray trigger polish etc.

Our new posting rules