SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 3 August 2020, 18:13
Old Scroll

Remember the Sultana

On Amazon Prime
Amazing story of the near-death survivors of the Confederate POW camp at Andersonville who were released at war's end, only to find themselves aboard the Sultana sidewheeler, headed north on the Mississippi to freedom and home, when three of it's four boilers exploded. There were 2,137 souls aboard the ship, which was designed for only 375. 1,260 perished, making it the greatest maritime disaster in American history, and nobody has ever heard of it.

This happened as Lincoln's funeral train was touring America, and the day after John Wilkes Booth was killed, so the combination of those two momentous occasions, and a feckless press that was in the steamboat industry's pocket, so the story was squelched, and nobody was ever held accountable.

A truly fascinating and horrifying story.

Wiki on the topic

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 3 August 2020, 20:56
Rage against the machine

Added to my list. Thanks.
Old 5 August 2020, 08:58
Been There Done That

I'll have to check that out. My wife's grandfather is buried at Andersonville. He was a WWII POW. We went to visit, what a very sobering experience. Not a very large place either, just to imagine all the people piled into that pretty small area makes ya say ...daaamn...

That must have been horrible.
Old 13 August 2020, 09:59

Finally got around to watch this and found it to be one of the most interesting, shocking and disturbing documentaries concerning the Civil War, maritime disasters and good old fashion human greed, I've ever seen.

Our new posting rules