SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 25 July 2020, 12:22

Job advice WPS 2 PSS and SS

Wanted to ask advice from all that have worked in the PSS world. If you could get a entry job as a PSS member or a SS (Site supervisor) which would be the better position ? Money a little higher for the SS but not by a lot both under the WPS 2 contract. I do know that the PSS job training is about a week longer then the SS. Locations are the same Africa or Iraq. Looking for input for future resume building, more opportunity down the road, and what job is more enjoyable. Thanks in advance
Old 26 July 2020, 09:40
Confirmed User

Welcome to SOCNET.

I have one question for you as a cop/detective with 27yrs on the job (and ASSuming you were on the road and not in the jail): Where would you rather spend your day: in the jail or on the road?

There aren’t that many differences between the 2 positions. One is static and one is mobile.

IME, I liked the PSS side of the house. I only had 2 jobs/2 years working inside an Embassy/site and neither of them was a SS/Static. The other years were spent on the roads or training.

Depending on which contract you get on, some PSS may only be working on the inside (ERT) and after a week sitting in a room or bearcat for 12hrs, you were wishing you were outside. But on the majority of other contracts the PSS run the roads from point A to point B. Haven’t kept up with who has what these days and where they are working, so not sure what they are doing in Africa.

Money is a motivating factor, but you also get more experiences, opportunities, and fun as PSS. When I started in ’06 there were ‘Site Supervisors’ and ‘GFC ‘and whatever else they are called these days. I liked those guys as they kept me safe while I slept at night.

I’ve seen SS/Static guys perform 3 checks on their guards a day. The rest of their day was spent in the DFAC or their room. But, some guys sit in a CAC for 12hrs with their guards. And this was on the same contract. A lot of the guys were solid and took care of the guards and glad they chose Static positions.

Mobile vs. Static? I’ll pick Mobile every time.

Oh yea, if you go Static, you will also be wearing a uniform or 5.11shirts CIF hands out and everyone else wears. I still wear a few of the ones I managed to acquire.

Last edited by Sgt Jeep; 26 July 2020 at 09:42. Reason: If you get the choice, BLUF, go Mobile even if it is ERT.
Old 26 July 2020, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Jeep View Post
Welcome to SOCNET.

I have one question for you as a cop/detective with 27yrs on the job (and ASSuming you were on the road and not in the jail): Where would you rather spend your day: in the jail or on the road?

There arenít that many differences between the 2 positions. One is static and one is mobile.

IME, I liked the PSS side of the house. I only had 2 jobs/2 years working inside an Embassy/site and neither of them was a SS/Static. The other years were spent on the roads or training.

Depending on which contract you get on, some PSS may only be working on the inside (ERT) and after a week sitting in a room or bearcat for 12hrs, you were wishing you were outside. But on the majority of other contracts the PSS run the roads from point A to point B. Havenít kept up with who has what these days and where they are working, so not sure what they are doing in Africa.

Money is a motivating factor, but you also get more experiences, opportunities, and fun as PSS. When I started in í06 there were ĎSite Supervisorsí and ĎGFC Ďand whatever else they are called these days. I liked those guys as they kept me safe while I slept at night.

Iíve seen SS/Static guys perform 3 checks on their guards a day. The rest of their day was spent in the DFAC or their room. But, some guys sit in a CAC for 12hrs with their guards. And this was on the same contract. A lot of the guys were solid and took care of the guards and glad they chose Static positions.

Mobile vs. Static? Iíll pick Mobile every time.

Oh yea, if you go Static, you will also be wearing a uniform or 5.11shirts CIF hands out and everyone else wears. I still wear a few of the ones I managed to acquire.
Plenty of PSS are static.

Task Order 7 in Kabul: PSS is all ERT and Static
SOC at BDSC" and Embassy are ERT and Static
Janus in Erbil: is split ERT/ Movement
Janus/SOC in MOG: PSS does both

PSS course is about 53 days with ARF and ERT portions. The SS course is about 21 days. The PSS course will open more doors for you and allow greater movement. SS is considered a G clin which will limit your movement up and to other contracts.
Old 26 July 2020, 13:30

And I also forgot to reply.

PSS in Kabul all wear uniforms

TC QRF in Kabul wear uniforms

SOC in Baghdad all wear uniforms

DOS has made uniforms mostly a thing, with the exception of the low pro teams, and movement teams. But ERT which is PSS and the QRF (which is technically mobile) are all uniformed now.. WPS2 saw to that.
Old 26 July 2020, 14:33

Thank you guys for the comments, I really appreciate the input.
Old 26 July 2020, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade111 View Post
Thank you guys for the comments, I really appreciate the input.
SGT hit the nail on the head.. Let money be your guide. Get into the industry do well on your first contract make connections then figure out your next move.

The days or running and gunning are long long gone. Afghanistan and Iraq especially.
Old 26 July 2020, 15:32
Confirmed User

Guess there are a lot of changes since I hung up the contractor belt.

Miss it all the time!
Old 26 July 2020, 19:28

Have you considered one of the High Threat static contracts? Have met many former WPS guys that talk about the quality of life improvement on the High Threat side.
Old 26 July 2020, 22:24

I would absolutely consider it, if the money was better. I will have to search it. Thanks
Old 27 July 2020, 06:36
Authorized Personnel

PSS in Mogadishu wasn't doing static when SOC had it.

Maybe that changed with Janus taking over the contract in the near future.
Old 27 July 2020, 09:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTempo View Post
Have you considered one of the High Threat static contracts? Have met many former WPS guys that talk about the quality of life improvement on the High Threat side.
Different requirements.
Old 27 July 2020, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
PSS in Mogadishu wasn't doing static when SOC had it.

Maybe that changed with Janus taking over the contract in the near future.
I mean static may be misleading PSS covered ERT/QRF. Not to mean sitting in towers or such..
Old 28 July 2020, 05:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicFL View Post
I mean static may be misleading PSS covered ERT/QRF. Not to mean sitting in towers or such..

Remember, WPS III is the P to G. New guys coming in already have the PSS/SRG dual CLIN
Asked why it was dishonorable to return without a shield and not without a helmet, the Spartan king, Demaratos (510 - 491) is said to have replied: "Because the latter they put on for their own protection, but the shield for the common good of all." (Plutarch, Mor.220
Old 28 July 2020, 05:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardknocks View Post
Remember, WPS III is the P to G. New guys coming in already have the PSS/SRG dual CLIN
What do you mean by P to G?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 28 July 2020, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
What do you mean by P to G?
There is a push for WPS 3 and at several of the static task orders to do away with the PSS P clin and make ERT a G clin or armed guard. COVID has put this transition on hold for now but it is coming.

Only movement teams will be PSS or P clin qualified and all ERT and static task orders will be Senior Guard or Armed Guard and hold a G clin.

A cost cutting measure as the training course will be only about 21-24 days as opposed to 53 days for PSS currently and the hiring requirements will be lower for G clin.
Old 28 July 2020, 13:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
There is a push for WPS 3 and at several of the static task orders to do away with the PSS P clin and make ERT a G clin or armed guard. COVID has put this transition on hold for now but it is coming.

Only movement teams will be PSS or P clin qualified and all ERT and static task orders will be Senior Guard or Armed Guard and hold a G clin.

A cost cutting measure as the training course will be only about 21-24 days as opposed to 53 days for PSS currently and the hiring requirements will be lower for G clin.
Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea what he was referring to when he said that.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 30 July 2020, 04:40
Confirmed User

Quote:

Thank you.
Asked why it was dishonorable to return without a shield and not without a helmet, the Spartan king, Demaratos (510 - 491) is said to have replied: "Because the latter they put on for their own protection, but the shield for the common good of all." (Plutarch, Mor.220
Old 13 August 2020, 19:56
Confirmed User

Quote:

Will be interesting to see how the mobile contracts pick up guys off of the static task orders if they're no longer P clin. I assume the current P clins on static task orders will still retain their certs as PSS.

I know at TO1 quite a few of the new guys are coming from Baghdad (BEC and BDSC).
Old 15 August 2020, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangercon View Post
Will be interesting to see how the mobile contracts pick up guys off of the static task orders if they're no longer P clin. I assume the current P clins on static task orders will still retain their certs as PSS.

I know at TO1 quite a few of the new guys are coming from Baghdad (BEC and BDSC).
Once the transition is done you will no longer get a PSS (P) Clin cert if you work on a Static Task Order.

Yes you will retain your PSS (P) Clin if previously trained, HOWEVER once you are out of a P clin for more than 6-12 months you must go to a PSS update course to work in a P Clin on a WPS Task Order.

Our new posting rules