Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 17 January 2017, 11:57
Russian Tycoon

I just finished reading The Lady in Gold by Anne-Marie O'Connor. It is a very well researched and written work.

In short, this is the story of Gustav Klimt's masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I (the one you can see on all tourist postcards and keychains), from its creation to the world-famous lawsuit, Republic of Austria v. Altmann (2004). But the book is so much more than that. It is a mesmerizing account of the life of Gustav Klimt, the rise and the fall of Viennese society, the arrival of Nazi troops to Austria and the tragic destiny met by too many Jewish families, with just a few of them finding escape in the United States, including Adele's niece, the woman immortalized by Klimt in that portrait.

The book will be likely appreciated by anyone who loves art or history. I am looking forward to watching the movie Woman in Gold based on this story, starring Helen Mirren.
Old 29 January 2017, 17:14
Been There Done That

The Earth is Weeping by Peter Cozzens. It's a history of the Indian wars in the western US after the Civil War.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It's very well written and the thesis seems to be there was plenty of blame to go around; the wars were not a white on Indian genocide--in fact, many of the tribes had been warring between themselves for years and some (many) signed on with the US to fight their enemies. Seems like an even-handed treatment so far.

Very interesting to me, although I'm not a student of the topic. I did grow up in western Nebraska and Kansas where much of the action is set, at least in the first segments of the book. I guess I'm a sucker for any book that mentions Ft. Hays where I kinda grew up, 7 years of my ill spent youth were there, and the Smoky Hill river where I used to shoot carp with a long bow.
Old 31 January 2017, 10:12
Confirmed User

Isaac Hooke Mil / SciFi. (Kindle Unlimited = free)

I started off with the Atlas series. The Navy Atlas Mechs are nuke powered mechanized battle suits and to become a 'MOTH', MObile Tactical Human, recruits go through SEAL style training and are known as 'caterpillars' until they earn a call-sign. Pretty good series with the typical mechanized armored suit, and alien infestations every mil scifi has. Nothing really new but the SEAL aspect of it was interesting to me. Good camaraderie and brotherhood scenes.

Finished the Atlas series and reading Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Never read it before and enjoying it. What's awesome about Troopers is that it was written in 1959 and Heinlein's imagination was incredible. Should have read this a long time ago!

ATLAS TRILOGY (Mech warfare):

ATLAS 1 (Book 1)
ATLAS 2 (Book 2)
ATLAS 3 (Book 3)

THE ALIEN WAR TRILOGY (Mech warfare):

Hoplite (Book 1)
Zeus (Book 2)
Titan (Book 3)

A CAPTAIN'S CRUCIBLE SERIES (Fleet warfare):

Flagship (Book 1)
Test of Mettle (Book 2)
Cradle of War (Book 3)
Planet Killer (Book 4) - Dec. 2016
Worlds at War (Book 5) - Jan. 2017
Old 5 February 2017, 22:47
0311/8651

Ordered Living with a SEAL
Will try to get myself out of my comfort zone
Old 8 February 2017, 23:52
Authorized Personnel

Enhanced Interrogation by James Mitchell. Very interesting book as he takes you through how the whole program came to be. He also talks about the behind the scene goings on before/during/after EIT and non-EIT interrogations.

He had one statement w/words to effect of "The Agency released me from the NDA so I could write this book and refute the SSCI 6,000 page and $40million report". I think he succeeded.
Old 10 February 2017, 01:56

Studying...

The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons "Advanced Emergency Care and Teansport of the Sick and Injured" Second Edition.

Gotta get my AEMT cert to get hired as a PSS/Medic to do my Doc thing for all you guys out there. I miss it every day for the last 8 years or so.
Old 13 February 2017, 04:46
Confirmed User

The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War. I've been on a Korean War kick recently. It is interesting to read how badly we misjudged the Chinese intentions, underestimated their ability, and assumed they would fight just like we would. The Chinese gave clear indications they intended to intervene on a large scale in Korea, but MacArthur and his staff ignored the warnings, and intentionally altered intelligence.
Old 18 February 2017, 21:09
Been There Done That

"The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of the Donner Party"

Book written in 2009. Before I started it, I know they were some folks traveling to CA but got stuck in the mountains and had to resort to cannibalism to stay alive.

What I learned was they ate a lot of their own people to stay alive. Even a couple of Mexican cowboys got shot and eaten. It's the most depressing book you'll even read. Or maybe not but it was for me. Most of them (except the very small children) had to walk out of the mountains with little to no food. By the time they reached a cabin or two for help, they were frost bitten, extremely emaciated, and were wearing little clothing as most of it (shoes, pants, shirts) had been worn off their bodies.
Old 18 February 2017, 22:46
0311/8651

Finished Living with a SEAL. It has made me look at things a little differently. My workout routine is different. Looking at life, seeing some things just aren't that important
Old 19 February 2017, 01:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
The Earth is Weeping by Peter Cozzens. It's a history of the Indian wars in the western US after the Civil War.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It's very well written and the thesis seems to be there was plenty of blame to go around; the wars were not a white on Indian genocide--in fact, many of the tribes had been warring between themselves for years and some (many) signed on with the US to fight their enemies. Seems like an even-handed treatment so far.

Very interesting to me, although I'm not a student of the topic. I did grow up in western Nebraska and Kansas where much of the action is set, at least in the first segments of the book. I guess I'm a sucker for any book that mentions Ft. Hays where I kinda grew up, 7 years of my ill spent youth were there, and the Smoky Hill river where I used to shoot carp with a long bow.
Still. I've tried to quit but I can't. I can barely remember what it's about....
Old 19 February 2017, 08:43
Confirmed User

more new books on the KW at http://www.koreanwar.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronErik View Post
The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War. I've been on a Korean War kick recently. It is interesting to read how badly we misjudged the Chinese intentions, underestimated their ability, and assumed they would fight just like we would. The Chinese gave clear indications they intended to intervene on a large scale in Korea, but MacArthur and his staff ignored the warnings, and intentionally altered intelligence.
Old 19 February 2017, 23:57
Calix Meus Inebrians

The Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings & Simon Jenkins. Good read for history geeks and military non-fiction fans.
Old 26 February 2017, 09:16

The Day After Never.

It one of the free books for Kindle I get from BookBub. It is the 3rd part of the Ben Travers, time traveler Trilogy. I know, kinda silly but I enjoy reading books by new, unknown authors and this one gave his subject a lot of thought about the downsides to time travel and how it really would be akin to impossible not to end up floating in the vacuum of space or fused to a wall.
Old 1 March 2017, 13:28

Killing Rommel by Stephen Pressfield (author of Gates of Fire).

Really entertaining read on the long range desert group/WWII. Definitely recommend for anyone interested in the north African campaign.
Old 20 March 2017, 19:32

I signal two recent and interesting books that have not been mentioned here :

Modern American Snipers, by Chris Martin

As the title says, it's about US military snipers in recent wars. A lot is about known ground (Chris Kyle, The Reaper, Brandon Webb...) and I only leafed through. But there are numerous little details, names outed and new short stories about the roles of special mission units' snipers and Ranger sniper operations out there such as an "accidental" rescue of a hostage. If you like tidbits about JSOC, this is one book useful.

The Butcher's Trail, by Julian Borger

That book is about the hunt for people indicted for war crimes by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. It's heartwarming to know that out of the 161 indicted, none is on the run anymore. The books devotes a good part of the captures done by the special operations forces, mostly from first-hand sources, and it covers the snatch operations of all the countries involved : Poland, UK, Netherlands, US, Germany and France.
Old 20 March 2017, 19:35
Been There Done That

Just loaded 14 of the Jack Reacher novels into the Nook

I'll be busy for a while. A buddy flipped me a hardback copy of Gone Tomorrow a few days ago, and I thought it was pretty good. Not too bad for a pulp novel, so I'll put in some time over the next few months reading them.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 21 March 2017, 13:13
Drawing my cutlass

"Dark Money" by Jane Mayer. Whatever side of the political spectrum you fall on this book will piss you off.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 22 March 2017, 00:11
As Above So Below

Scars of the Prophet by our own Mingo Kane. Almost done and look forward to the next one.

Great read.
Old 1 April 2017, 02:16
Been There Done That

Dodge City: Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, and the Wickedest Town in the American West

http://www.amazon.com/Dodge-City-Mas.../dp/1250071488

I grew up in this part of the world. Pretty good book, seems to jump around in time a little too much (like a lot of historical non-fiction has to) and a bit too much flowery language-- lots of 'with his six guns spewing fire' kinda stuff-- but overall pretty interesting read.
Old 1 April 2017, 05:11
Confirmed User

Murph - you might like "The Last Gunfight" by Jeff Guinn

Our new posting rules