SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 April 2019, 20:58
Been There Done That

Tax question

So a former shipmate sent me a Facebook message saying that under a new interpretation of IRS rules from 2016. He said that a military retiree could not pay taxes on their retirement based on your percentage of disability.

Like if I was 70% disabled I wouldn’t have to pay taxes on 70% of my retirement.

Can anyone confirm and/or explain this?

I know I don’t pay taxes on my disability.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 9 April 2019, 22:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2bob View Post
So a former shipmate sent me a Facebook message saying that under a new interpretation of IRS rules from 2016. He said that a military retiree could not pay taxes on their retirement based on your percentage of disability.

Like if I was 70% disabled I wouldn’t have to pay taxes on 70% of my retirement.

Can anyone confirm and/or explain this?

I know I don’t pay taxes on my disability.
I've done a quick review of this and it seems that you're able to exclude an amount equal to the amount of your VA disability pay. So if you're 70% disabled, you can exclude an amount equal to 70% disability pay from the VA from your income, so long as your retiree pay is greater than that amount.

Does that help?
Old 10 April 2019, 04:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
I've done a quick review of this and it seems that you're able to exclude an amount equal to the amount of your VA disability pay. So if you're 70% disabled, you can exclude an amount equal to 70% disability pay from the VA from your income, so long as your retiree pay is greater than that amount.

Does that help?
Yes it does

Old 10 April 2019, 05:24
Confirmed User

Interesting. Is there a IRS link you can provide? Is this concurrent receipt you are talking about?
Old 10 April 2019, 07:32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post

Does that help?
Huh? That doesn't make sense. Post a link to the IRS tax regulation.
Old 12 April 2019, 00:14
Red Headed Stepchild

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p907

Quote:
VA Disability Benefits
Disability benefits received from the VA should not be included in your gross income. Some of the payments which are considered disability benefits include:

Disability compensation and pension payments for disabilities paid either to Veterans or their families,
Grants for homes designed for wheelchair living,
Grants for motor vehicles for Veterans who lost their sight or the use of their limbs, or
Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program.
If you are a military retiree and receive your disability benefits from the VA, see IRS Publication 525 for more information.
Old 12 April 2019, 06:11
Confirmed User

Disability compensation is not taxed at all, for 50% or more compensation.
But If you have 10 to 40% you will effectively not tax 10 to 40% of your retirement check. And the amount of the disability is paid in full or deducted from retirement. Thats part of the concurrent receipt system in play right now. Please correct me if I am wrong, this is what I remember of the concurrent receipt plan.
Old 12 April 2019, 07:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
That's different than the questions asked. Thanks
Old 12 April 2019, 08:26
Been There Done That

I dug a little deeper myself and I don't think what I asked was accurate. My friend was misinformed. Thank you.

Old 12 April 2019, 19:55
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
That's different than the questions asked. Thanks
Shit. Sorry. Reread and saw what I missed the first time. Guess that's why we pay a guy
Old 12 April 2019, 20:47
Been There Done That

You will get a 1099R from DFAS indicating what portion of your military retired pay is taxable
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary...ittaxable.html
You will not get a 1099 from VA, because your VA disability payments, educational benefits, etc are not taxable.

https://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/B...sions?serv=122

If you have been awarded back-dated VA disability, or you are getting a back-dated award of CRSC (instead of the CRDP you may have been receiving) you might consider filing amended income tax returns. If you get retro pay, PM me and I'll send you the citations to file with the 1040X (amended tax return(s) for the years your retro pay applies)
v/r
fkl
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/info...n-for-veterans
Old 12 April 2019, 21:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Huh? That doesn't make sense. Post a link to the IRS tax regulation.
Sorry, I've been offline for a few days. I might be misreading this, but these are the regs I would cite.

§ 104 (a)(4)

amounts received as a pension, annuity, or similar allowance for personal injuries or sickness resulting from active service in the armed forces of any country or in the Coast and Geodetic Survey or the Public Health Service, or as a disability annuity payable under the provisions of section 808 of the Foreign Service Act of 1980;

§ 104 (b)(4)

In the case of any individual described in paragraph (2), the amounts excludable under subsection (a)(4) for any period with respect to any individual shall not be less than the maximum amount which such individual, on application therefor, would be entitled to receive as disability compensation from the Veterans' Administration.

I did some more reading after pulling those regs and I wasn't quite right. Those regs do apply to the situation, however it rarely comes into play because most retirees receive both their full VA payment, tax-free, and then that is topped off by the remaining retirement pay. I don't really deal with this on a daily basis, so I'm not all that familiar with the VA disability offset.

That said, I suppose it would be possible to receive only one's retirement pay and then deduct an amount equivalent to your VA disability; it's just an extra step that isn't necessary so no one does it.
Old 13 April 2019, 01:55
Unemployed Stunt Double

I am 60% CRSC...if I opted for CRSC instead of CRDP, I'd lose $300/month.
Old 14 April 2019, 05:22
BTDT

The only way you could be taxed on disability, is if it's reported to .gov and you receive some IRS paperwork for it (1099, W2 "like" stuff). I get nothing from the VA other than the usual benefits renewal form (that they still print your full SSN on ) every year. You would have to purposely type it in as additional income (for some insane reason) to be taxed on it.

Our new posting rules