SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 10 June 2020, 09:07

Has Anyone Worked with the OSCE?

I have been nominated by PAE-REACT for a position with the Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine under the OSCE (Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe).

At this point there are no guarantees. If the OSCE takes interest, there will be a written assessment and panel interview before anything else happens. If successful, it's a year in Luhansk (or more - each contract is written for one year, but can be renewed for up to seven years total provided job performance has been satisfactory).

This would be a welcome departure from some of the crappier parts of the world that are out there. Does anyone have any experience with PAE-REACT / OSCE missions?

Many thanks!

Jeff

(FYI, current PAE-REACT job postings can be found at https://www.pae.com/current-opportunities-react)
Old 10 June 2020, 09:16
Confirmed User

I've supported that mission as a medic in 2016. I went out with the teams going out to monitor the conflict. I thought the mission was totally idiotic and pointless. The worst job I've ever had however I was on the Ukraine side and living conditions were pretty good. If you're single, the women there are amazing. If you're interested in learning Russian I still am working with a tutor that I met there and can ask her if she'd be interested in teaching you Russian. I don't know how much has changed but I was told conditions were a lot worse on the Russian side of the conflict. Also don't be surprised if you're shot at.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 10 June 2020, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
I've supported that mission as a medic in 2016. I went out with the teams going out to monitor the conflict. I thought the mission was totally idiotic and pointless. The worst job I've ever had however I was on the Ukraine side and living conditions were pretty good. If you're single, the women there are amazing. If you're interested in learning Russian I still am working with a tutor that I met there and can ask her if she'd be interested in teaching you Russian. I don't know how much has changed but I was told conditions were a lot worse on the Russian side of the conflict. Also don't be surprised if you're shot at.
Jong -

Many thanks for your open and candid response - I certainly appreciate the info!

My biggest fear initially was that the organization would exhibit the worst aspects that a disconnected bureaucracy could hope to offer...

On the plus side, being in the Ukraine and single once again doesn't sound all that bad. Neither does learning Russian while I'm there! If it pans out, I'll definitely need a tutor and will let you know.

Thanks again!

Jeff
Old 10 June 2020, 11:52
Confirmed User

Lol, well it doesn't get more disconnected than OSCE. I've never worked for the UN but people that worked for OSCE and had worked with the UN said it was worse. Being single there could easily makeup for the idiocy of that org. I was married and it was really rough being good, especially seeing the woman at the gym I went to.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 10 June 2020, 18:56
Legal Immigrant

I've worked with the UN, I've interviewed for the UN, and still waiting for results from an interview 3 yrs ago, that still hasn't been decided, (I wouldn't take it now even if they offered it to me).

I have liaised with OSCE to send teams in to provide security for media taskings, and bid for contracts with OSCE, all within the last couple of years.

I have friends and colleagues with both orgs.

The UN and the OSCE are just as disorganised as one another. There are some truly brilliant SMEs in both orgs, but they are really the minority. The bureaucracy is amazingly....slow.

Having said that....do it. The experience, if you don't get caught up in the politics, will be worth it. Just do not expect quick responses to anything.

As for the written assessments...they can sometimes be laughable. It was funny having to do an English language assessment given by someone who could barely speak English, and getting simple questions wrong as a result.

Our new posting rules