SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 July 2014, 20:33
Authorized Personnel

Adult asthma

It seems that most of my adult life I've had to expend a tremendous amount of energy to keep up with what I consider average consistent athletes. This was new since as a youth, it was easy to excel in sports. Whether it was running, BJJ, Crossfit, OCR or just hiking my endurance was in continuous decline. During BJJ training I would frequently get a feeling of claustrophobia when not in a dominant position and had to talk myself down. Running hills or longer distances often left me in coughing fits. Post OCR had me coughing up strings of phlegm and left me short of breath for hours. I chalked it up to aging not so gracefully even though my opinion was that my training regime was harder than most,
Recently after tolerating an extended bronchial infection of some sort, my doctor prescribed a daily inhaler for asthma.
It was almost like a switch had been flipped. Without training, my time for a local Spartan Race was in the top 11% overall. A 10 mile road race (with slight wine hangover) had a descent time for someone that does not train for such events. WODs or KB circuits are much improved. Wondering how long I've had this and why it was not diagnosed earlier but thankful that I'm back in the game so to speak.

For you older guys that have seemingly lost a step or 20, consider paying attention to the symptoms and get it taken care of.
Old 5 July 2014, 22:54
Been There Done That

In addition to a physical and an inhaler, some other things you can do to mitigate the effects are:

250-500mg of Vitamin C, a few hours before a "run day".

Hydrate with water before running. Not a lot, maybe a half quart tops.
Old 6 July 2014, 13:54
Authorized Personnel

I would not have looked into Vitamin C without your comment. Thanks. Very interesting.
Old 6 July 2014, 19:26
0311/8651

I'm 65
For past 10 yrs or so I have volunteered at Tinker AFB,about 1 day a week.3 yrs ago I started have your same symptoms- coughing,choking etc,even when I was lifting.im convinced it was the MOLD at headquarters Tinker AFB.
I breathe some kind of powder once a day and have inhalers for emergencies.
Old 6 July 2014, 20:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5wsf View Post
I would not have looked into Vitamin C without your comment. Thanks. Very interesting.
http://www.progressivelabs.com/processor.php?resource=%2Fus%2Fassets%2Ffeature%2F breathe-easy-during-your-workout-with-vitamin-c_15979_4%2F~default

I wouldn't go over 500mg. There are other research studies that are inconclusive, but stated it's worth further investigative research.
Old 7 July 2014, 20:20
Policeman Officer

I was diagnosed with asthma a while back, well into adulthood. I've probably had it for years, who knows. I'm lucky in that it's pretty well controlled with medication.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 8 July 2014, 16:20
Authorized Personnel

An old remedy, was to prescribe a shot of booze.

I lived with an Uncle, who developed asthma late in his life. He had never drank and was at first, hesitant to follow the Doctors suggestion of one shot at bedtime. I don't know if it worked, but after a while he had a smile on his face when it was time for 'his medicine'.

This was late 50's early 60's.

Our new posting rules