SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 28 November 2011, 10:58
Chicks dig scars

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
Second this...I learned it the hard way.
Reed
Several of the runners in the group that I train with either use the POSE method or barefoot running to alleviate pre-existing knee pain. They have had great luck with it reducing knee pain. One of the reasons that they state for this, is that most runners strike heel first and this causes a lot of stress on the knees, but that a mid-sole strike reduces the impact as it is how we are designed to run. I.E. if you run barefoot, without the padding of modern shoes, you tend to use a mid-sole strike.
I tried to switch for the proposed performance increase, but did so wearing the same shoes and running the same distance at the same time I was heeding other advice to not stretch. Unfortunately, changing your running style uses muscles that are not used with traditional heel strike running and now I have been dealing with calf pulls and shin splints for about a month. So if you try the barefoot running track, make sure you stretch and build back up to your running distances slowly.
Clear as mud?
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 3 October 2014, 14:45
Confirmed User

Sorry to bring a thread back from the grave, but I recently got some advice on switching from heel striking to landing flatter/ mid foot striking. I was hoping some here might have some more information on what specific stretches I should be doing to facilitate this change, as has been mentioned in this thread. Are we talking stretching calves out, rolling out my soleus', stretching hamstrings (which I need to do anyways), what?

Thanks for any information.
Old 3 October 2014, 15:39
Confirmed User

I like "foam" rollers of various sorts. That and stretching using bands. Check mobilitywod for some great stretches.

I know this is an old thread, but some of you may consider rowing machines, if you haven't already. It's about the best cardio machine out there, IMO.

ETA: link

Last edited by Fool_For_A_Client; 3 October 2014 at 15:47. Reason: added a link to mobilitywod
Old 28 October 2014, 16:46
Confirmed User

I highly recommend the lower leg trigger-point kit.

I switched my gait about 6 years ago and it took about a year to really work it out. I started in 5 fingers with only a 1 mile variable speed run on the track(120/110/100/90 secs per quarter) a week and used a low drop trainer (kinvara/green silence were my go to shoes) for the rest of the weeks mileage. I battled through a little achilles tendonitis and calf pain, but the trigger point kit, ice and patience kept it from becoming chronic. My coach had me really focus on keeping the soleus flexible and rolled out so it wouldnt strain the achilles too much. My #1 advice would be to go slower than you think you should and compensate the missed cardio with additional cycling, rowing or swimming.

6 years later i never get injured running and am faster. I still roll out once or twice a week, do proper warm up's, stretch, eat well and sleep well.

GL with the switch. Stay healthy and remember consistency is the key to speed.
Old 29 October 2014, 06:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberfest View Post
Sorry to bring a thread back from the grave, but I recently got some advice on switching from heel striking to landing flatter/ mid foot striking. I was hoping some here might have some more information on what specific stretches I should be doing to facilitate this change, as has been mentioned in this thread. Are we talking stretching calves out, rolling out my soleus', stretching hamstrings (which I need to do anyways), what?

Thanks for any information.
Try getting a pair of Hoka One One running shoes. They made a world of difference to me, where I could actually run more often again, and the greatly reduce the heel strike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 October 2014, 07:45
Authorized Personnel

I injured a calf a few years ago and it creeps up occasionally. A compression calf sleeve has always helped rehab and recover. I use Zensah but there are other. Just what works for me. Not a doctor or PT obviously. Good luck.

Our new posting rules