SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 26 August 2013, 19:15
Been There Done That

Low Carb Protein Drink?

Anyone recommend a good (does not taste like sawdust) meal replacement Low Carb (no sugar or artificial sweeteners as well possibly) Protein Drink?

Thanks.
Old 26 August 2013, 19:35
Embrace the Suck

My absolute favorite protein drink is Cytosport Monster Milk, same people who make muscle milk. I personally love the taste of the chocolate in the RTD (ready to drink) bottles. They are not cheap but at this point in my life I hate to measure powder and mix and all that.

I get mine at The Vitamin Shoppe, but they have them at GNC and other type places.

One bottle has 45grams of Protein, 11 grams of Carbs, 0 Grams of Sugar, 310 Calories. Milk Free, Gluten Free.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...LAID=447259791
Old 26 August 2013, 20:09
Broke D***

You should look into Isopure. This is my current protein of choice and I haven't had any complaints with regard to taste. I've had the dutch chocolate (low carb) and cookies and cream (no carb). I've only had the powder, but they do have premade drinks as well.

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/en/powders
Old 27 August 2013, 07:35
Confirmed User

I use the Carb Solutions shake mix from drugstore.com
Inexpensive and tastes pretty good.
Old 27 August 2013, 07:49
Confirmed User

Products by Dymatize are usually very low carb to protein ratio. I'm trying Extended Release Elite XT; per serving 125 cal, 1.5 fat, 6 carb, 21 protein.
Old 27 August 2013, 07:58
Been There Done That

Isopure, hands down.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 27 August 2013, 08:47

I have always used plain (bulk) whey, or soya protien powder. You can buy it at most health food stores, and only costs $6-$12 bucks a pound (Canada), so I would imagine its a bit cheaper in the U.S. It comes in either 60% or 90% pureity, and is all natural because its just the protein with nothing else. I mix it with oj, banannas, and frozen strawberries, but anything could be used. It's a bit chalky, but certainly meets the no added sugar/artificial sweetener thing, which is what appeals to me.
Old 27 August 2013, 08:51
Confirmed User

Dymatize nutrtion.
Old 27 August 2013, 15:16
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravodelta View Post
Isopure... I've had the dutch chocolate (low carb)
Coincidentally, I tried this flavor today for the first time. I don't do protein drinks in general because of the taste but this one was very good.

Leopardprey, if you have a blender, you could mix up your own protein drinks. Something like coconut milk+whey protein powder+1/2 cup of any berries+a tablespoon of chia or flax seeds+ice. It is still relatively a low carb option but does not have the sawdust taste.
Old 27 August 2013, 16:24
Confirmed User

EAS

My local Sam's has it cheaper than anywhere I have found. It alone is enough to make it worth the membership.
Old 1 September 2013, 17:32
Confirmed User

Ive been in search for the perfect protein and I'm going to say in my opinion its Dymatize Elite and Iso. Good bang for your buck, great taste and pretty good stats on the label.
Old 1 September 2013, 23:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
Coincidentally, I tried this flavor today for the first time. I don't do protein drinks in general because of the taste but this one was very good.

Leopardprey, if you have a blender, you could mix up your own protein drinks. Something like coconut milk+whey protein powder+1/2 cup of any berries+a tablespoon of chia or flax seeds+ice. It is still relatively a low carb option but does not have the sawdust taste.
Something I figured out - use the vanilla Isopure and you can mix it with virtually anything and it'll taste ok.

For protein generally though I'd recommend Stronger, Faster, Healthier . Best product out there. I'm going through some ProGenex right now and will be switching back to SFH as soon as it arrives.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 2 September 2013, 00:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Isopure, hands down.
Thirded or fourthed. Cookies and cream is zero carb, tastes good and mixes better than the chocolate which has a few carbs. I add creatine and fiber. It's not really a meal replacement but I often have 3 of these during the day followed by dinner.
Old 10 September 2013, 15:03

The best tasting I've tried is Trutein. It's a blended protein. It's made by TruNutrition Sciences. The chocolate covered banana flavor is by far my favorite so far.
1 34g scoop has: 115 calories, 5g carbs, and 23g protein.
http://www.truscience.com/
Old 25 November 2013, 07:33
Confirmed User

Dymatize Elite Whey any flavor.. I like their Banana Smooth
31gram scoop 114 cals, 1.5g fat, 2g carbs (0 sugar) and 24g of protein. Doesn't clump and very easy mixing
Old 25 November 2013, 12:31
Authorized Personnel

+1 on the Dymatize Protein. I currently take the Dymatize ISO-100 Hydrolized Whey Protein Isolate. Great taste, and great results. It boasts the highest protein percentage in it's class. I've used multiple Dymatize Proteins and I have always been extremely pleased. It's my go-to choice when ever I'm going to take protein shakes.

28.3g scoop, 1.5g carbs, 0g fat, 0g lactose, Ratio 86 protein.
Old 25 November 2013, 13:42

At Large Nutrition. Best supp company out there, hands down, for the meat and potato supps. No one asked me but I'll list my go to's and these for for the past years:

Omega3, Vitamin D3 and Magnesium - PurePharma

Creatine, HMB, BCAA's Whey Protein and Pre-Workout - AtLargeNutrition.

Auxiliary supps, i.e. probiotics, enzymes, minerals - Jarrow Formulas and NOW Foods.

PurePharma and AtLarge give military discounts that are attached to your actual account so its automatic at checkout. Just contact both companies and they'll hook you up. Also, Chris Mason, the owner and ceo of AtLarge always emails you personally. That company is legit, fellas.

- Nick
Old 25 November 2013, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Something I figured out - use the vanilla Isopure and you can mix it with virtually anything and it'll taste ok.

For protein generally though I'd recommend Stronger, Faster, Healthier . Best product out there. I'm going through some ProGenex right now and will be switching back to SFH as soon as it arrives.
Personally have never used either but SFH is a legit product and met some of the vendors at various Crossfit events and they seem genuinely proud of their products, prices aside. As far as Progenex goes, I've never used any of their products, nor will I ever. Its very overpriced. You can get same or better quality at lower prices per serving fron Optimum Nutrition and At Large Nutrition as well.
Old 25 November 2013, 15:46
The Sagacious One

You need to check for artificial sweeteners. Aspartame is a definite no go. Sucralose is not so bad, but still not good. I use V-Core from Complete Nutrition 25 gms/ Protein 9 grms of carbs. Sucralose is the last ingredient.
Old 24 February 2014, 12:13
BTDT

www.truenutrition.com

They started off as a wholesaler of raw, bulk supplements. They have since acquired name brand stuff, but still carry the TN line they began with.

Very few actually "make" their supplements - they just buy from protein houses and have it ODM'd to what they want, and make big, flashy labels and mark it up.

Any way, you can get pre-mixed blends, like Team Skip, or make your own blend. They offer Stevia as a sweetener if you get a 'Natural' flavor, or Aspertame or Sucralose for a 'Premium' flavor. Buy a pound each to try out flavors.

I use Team Skip as an 'anytime' protein (WPI-M, Micellar Casein, Egg White)... and a custom blend of Pepto-Pro & WPI-M (50/50) for Perri-Workout.

If you check the forums, you can get codes for 5% off. They ship from San Diego area, IIRC.

0-1g of Carbs, depending on protein source.

Our new posting rules