SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 16 September 2014, 10:33
I aim to misbehave

Massive strength loss overnight

So...I went to the gym this morning, and every lift felt like I hadn't trained at all, in my life. I was failing snatches at 95lbs and C&Js at 135. 135lb bench presses felt like 205, and I could barely knock out sets of 6-8. Every lift hurt deep in my bones.

It's a nasty humid, rainy, overcast day, and I'm told it sounds like I have arthritis, exacerbated by the changing weather. Any other suggestions? I would like to think I'm not old enough to have arthritis, but I have enough old injuries that well...I could be wrong.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 September 2014, 11:05
These ain't my pants.

What's your training volume looked like lately?

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 16 September 2014, 12:26
I aim to misbehave

Two-a-days tue/thurs/sat, warmup, bench, squat, deadlift (and assistance work - lockouts, rack pulls, etc) then light oly-lifting and supplementals (oh press, front squat, oh squat) for a finisher.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 September 2014, 12:38
Old Scroll

Sounds like vaginitis...

Drink a soy latte and get some rest, you poor dear.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 16 September 2014, 13:02
Administrator

Arthritis doesn't impact strength in the manner you indicate. 205 bench isn't a heavy weight either so I'm not sure where that comparison fits in.

Reading your many posts about training it sounds like you major in the minor. Real strength takes time under the bar to develop and you don't sound like you're ready for assistance work, rack pulls or whatever.
Old 16 September 2014, 13:04
Fan ar an gcosán

Any flu-like symptoms going on? Maybe your body's just worn out and you need to rotate in a light training week. Otherwise, drink water and take Motrin with the latte B 2/75 suggested.
Old 16 September 2014, 13:26
Nexus Schemer

You aren't taking any Cholesterol or BP meds are you. Failed strength is side effects for Vytorin and other statins.
Old 16 September 2014, 13:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Sounds like vaginitis...

You win the internet today. LOL.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 16 September 2014, 14:17
Confirmed User

So, you felt weak and every lift hurt deep in your bones? Everyone has weak days in the gym. I wonder if you have had enough hydration and enough sleep. Also, I'm not sure what two-a-days are outside of football practice, but if you're working out twice a day, I'm going to guess maybe you are overtraining as well.
Old 16 September 2014, 14:19
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Sounds like vaginitis...

LOL...

BOFH, it could be any number of things, but I bet it's something much simpler and benign. It's probably just one of those days when just you can't perform as well, and feel sapped of energy and sore.

Are you getting adequate rest? DOMS? Sleep awkwardly, or poorly? And forget the soy latte and enjoy some tofurky dogs with gluten free beer...

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 16 September 2014, 14:25
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Arthritis doesn't impact strength in the manner you indicate. 205 bench isn't a heavy weight either so I'm not sure where that comparison fits in.

Reading your many posts about training it sounds like you major in the minor. Real strength takes time under the bar to develop and you don't sound like you're ready for assistance work, rack pulls or whatever.

This^^

And I'd also say that you need to take inventory of your diet and rest patterns.

I'd wager that you're at a glucose deficit, or you've not got enough good fat in you to power your machine.

Those olympic lifts you're doing, considering the weights you mentioned, could have put you into an over trained state pretty quick because you needed to have developed some horsepower in other places to be able to sustain the explosiveness required to do oly lifts properly.

Bench, squat, rows like it's your job. And a dialed in diet. You'll not get days like this too often.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 16 September 2014, 15:49
Authorized Personnel

Did you let a woman named Delilah cut your hair?
Old 16 September 2014, 15:59
Been There Done That

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
...I'd wager that you're at a glucose deficit, or you've not got enough good fat in you to power your machine...
Every so often (maybe 1 out of 10) when I go hiking and camping the second morning I hit a wall and just crap out after a couple of hours.

I've learned, just stop, fire up some hot cocoa, eat a couple candy bars, rest an hour or so and then hit the trail.
Old 16 September 2014, 16:06
I aim to misbehave

Explanation was brief earlier, as I was typing on my phone.

I am doing a workout in the morning, then one in the evening. Squats every training day, with heavy bench press on tuesday (true, 205 isn't a heavy press, but I'm an absolute novice bench presser), heavy DL on thursday, and heavy squat/dynamic deadlift on saturday.

Today was bench press day, so I planned to do a few warmup sets at 135 before moving on to a training weight...but 135 today felt as heavy as 205 did last week. There was just no strength whatsoever.

After that, I moved to the platform...typically, I'll start off light with C&J, work up to around 200 (I'm just coming out of rehab for a shoulder injury, and not overly confident in my overhead work right now, so I'm not pushing it) then walk the track for an active cooldown. I started off light at 135 with the C&J, and barely made the first rep...after that, I failed the jerk on every subsequent rep.

I figured I'd start off even lighter with the snatch, so I just threw a 25lb bumper on each side and went for it...and failed to stabilize each and every attempt...I could get the weight overhead with no problem, but couldn't stabilize anything.

For the main workout, the bench press, like I said...205 is a heavy bench press for me, but 135 is not...today, though, I could barely press it at all...and this was 3 days since my last workout, so I would *think* I've had more than adequate recovery time.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 September 2014, 16:22
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saw7616 View Post
You aren't taking any Cholesterol or BP meds are you. Failed strength is side effects for Vytorin and other statins.
No meds of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
Any flu-like symptoms going on? Maybe your body's just worn out and you need to rotate in a light training week. Otherwise, drink water and take Motrin with the latte B 2/75 suggested.
No flu-like symptoms except general fatigue...I'm definitely not getting enough sleep...full-time college plus 60+ hours a week at work doesn't leave enough time in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post

You're definitely right about me not training for the major leagues...it's been a long time since I've really trained hard or put up any heavy weight, and this (powerlifting) is a whole new sport for me...something I've never trained for. Right now, I'm just going off of the training plan the team captain put together (pretty one-size-fits-all), so if I'm not doing the right things, thanks for the input.

While true:
Continue
Old 16 September 2014, 16:25
Confirmed User

I wouldn't start off at 95# on snatch. That's asking for trouble. Hell, I start off with a pvc pipe first, then the bar. Then I'd do some power snatches at 95 until comfortable enough to do a full snatch. And benching will tire your shoulders out alone, much less benching, then C&J, then trying to snatch.

Especially since you noted you are a novice bench presser, and since you are just coming out of shoulder rehab, it sounds to me like you are overtraining. The workout you just listed is like the shoulder workout from hell. That would toast a healthy shoulder.

ETA: yep, 60 hours and college. I would take it easy. Have you been doing any de-load weeks?
Old 16 September 2014, 16:29
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool_For_A_Client View Post
I wouldn't start off at 95# on snatch. That's asking for trouble. Hell, I start off with a pvc pipe first, then the bar. Then I'd do some power snatches at 95 until comfortable enough to do a full snatch. And benching will tire your shoulders out alone, much less benching, then C&J, then trying to snatch.

Especially since you noted you are a novice bench presser, and since you are just coming out of shoulder rehab, it sounds to me like you are overtraining. The workout you just listed is like the shoulder workout from hell. That would toast a healthy shoulder.

ETA: yep, 60 hours and college. I would take it easy. Have you been doing any de-load weeks?
I'm only in my fourth week of training right now, so no de-load weeks yet. As far as the olys go, I've been doing olys for most of a decade, with much more than the 95 lbs...maybe I just didn't realize how much the bench press would take out of my shoulders...

While true:
Continue
Old 16 September 2014, 19:52
Been There Done That

Screams fatigue to me.

60+ hours plus school + plus a WO schedule that includes 2 a days. You're just not rested enough and you're paying for it now. Get a straight 8 sleeping and see how you do. Test your theory about the BP fatiguing your shoulders by trying the olys fresh. I suck at olys and those weights are manageable for me, they should not be a problem for you.

I don't know how old you are but around my mid thirties my recovery ability crashed and I din't realize it until I was completely spent. I just had to rest more.

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 16 September 2014, 19:56
Administrator

You need to get on a basic program and build some strength. A year of solid programing and eating.

5-3-1 or Paul Carters base building are two good starting points.

For you to even be thinking about deload is crazy. You have nothing to deload from. Deloads are nice, but they like "assistance" work is abused by the majority of lifters. Get under the bar, figure out what your training max is and run percentages while building up volume and building some initial strength in the 3 competition lifts. Use a few core assistance exercises and remember you aren't judged on them.

Save the true max for a competition. Maxing out is hard to recover from and doesn't make you stronger, it only shows where you may be. You can gauge that using reps with better effect anyway.

Generally no one gets overtrained since it's very hard to actually overtrain for the average man who has a drop of testosterone flowing in their body. Overtraining has become a boggyman that keeps people from pushing themselves IMO.
Old 16 September 2014, 20:03
padrino con il vino

OK, what is a Latte B

Our new posting rules