SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 11 March 2015, 10:50
Puttin' on the foil

swim goggles

I've been swimming "laps" (I feel like Rocky Balboa when he started swimming in Rocky 3) and would like to pick up a pair of swim goggles to reduce the eye burn from the chlorine.

Aqua Sphere models look to be pretty popular on amazon. Specifically this model which is a larger lens and the tiny ones I've seen most of the good lap swimmers use at my pool.

Aqua Sphere Kayenne

This is more of a traditional goggle I've seen

Speedo Vanquisher

I'm guessing for my use there won't be much difference but I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion either way?
Old 11 March 2015, 11:20
Authorized Personnel

Following.

I went swimming yesterday and my eyes were glazed over and bright red.
Old 11 March 2015, 11:48
Confirmed User

Find a sporting goods store to try them on in person. Some competition goggles have no padding, and can be pretty uncomfortable. Look for some that fit the shape of your eye socket well. Then adjust the gap between them to fit the width of your eyes. Only then should you snug up the head strap.

If you swim indoors, don't buy dark tinted goggles. It is depressing. If you swim outdoors, consider dark tinted goggles.

Finally, there is a right and wrong way to put goggles on. Put the eye cups over your eyes, then the strap over your head, not the other way around. It sounds stupid, but you can blind yourself by snapping a goggle into your eye. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...606059/?page=1
Old 11 March 2015, 12:06
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Following.

I went swimming yesterday and my eyes were glazed over and bright red.
I never wore goggles in my school days. By late 20's, my eyes would get totally irritated and red.

Now, just being around pool water gets my eyes puffy.

I have the traditional oval. My son has the "mask fit" larger one.
Old 11 March 2015, 12:08

I swam competitively for a while and the only type of goggles I liked were the speedo ones you link too. The other type can't be adjusted across the bridge of the nose and I found that problematic when actually in the water, as they would leak on me. The speedo types are not quite as comfortable, but snug into the eye socket better creating a better seal.

All of this of course is relative to the shape and size of your face. I have seen many who wear (and swear by both).

Good luck
Old 11 March 2015, 12:19
Authorized Personnel

I've got a set of Aqua Spheres and love them. The fit on top of my orbits, not inside them so they're pretty comfortable and don't leak. I had a pair of more streamlined Speedo goggles and they dug in after awhile and tended to leak. I don't swim fast enough for my goggles to have any impact on performance, so the Aqua Sphere goggles are great for me. I got mine at a triathlon store and was able to try them on.
Old 11 March 2015, 12:31
Been There Done That

I have something like the speedo's but smaller eyecups and mirror lens, little uncomfortable but tinted for open water/sunny days. The Aqua Spheres look cool, I'd like to try those in smoke lens.
Old 11 March 2015, 12:35
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
I have something like the speedo's but smaller eyecups and mirror lens, little uncomfortable but tinted for open water/sunny days. The Aqua Spheres look cool, I'd like to try those in smoke lens.

score.
Old 11 March 2015, 14:25
Puttin' on the foil

I went and checked out the Aqua Sphere Kayenne's at a sports store on lunch so I could try them on. They felt really comfortable and snug but not too tight even without putting the strap behind my head. I also tried on the speedo vanquishes and they felt ok but not "right" for me although I'd guess with repeated use the speedo goggle could feel normal. Being a novice swimmer the Aqua Sphere felt more like sleek lightweight goggles rather than just eyeball covers which for me was the right choice today.
Old 11 March 2015, 16:06
Spice Weasel

I've used Aqua Sphere and had good luck with them for a few months. Then they started leaking. I'm using some Tyr "Spec Ops 2.0" with the anti-fog coating now. They don't leak, although the anti-fog leaves something to be desired at times.

I used both sets in the pool and open water. For fit and no-leaky, I prefer the Tyr. But for no fogging I preferred the Aqua Sphere.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 11 March 2015, 16:10
Did...did I do that?

One more vote for the Aqua Sphere. I'm not a huge swimmer, but needed something for my eyes, and didn't want a mask, and didn't like the fit of most regular goggles. You'll be happy with them.
Old 11 March 2015, 17:04
Scoundrel

http://www.amazon.com/Competitor-Swi.../dp/B0006N99YE

Thy are under $5, you can buy indoor and outdoor versions for under $12 and if you spit in them, they won't fog up. Used them for approximately 20 years without issue.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 11 March 2015, 17:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Competitor-Swi.../dp/B0006N99YE

Thy are under $5, you can buy indoor and outdoor versions for under $12 and if you spit in them, they won't fog up. Used them for approximately 20 years without issue.
Do you have to spit in them?

Some of us aren't into the kinky shit you are.
Old 11 March 2015, 17:12
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Do you have to spit in them?

Some of us aren't into the kinky shit you are.
Sheep.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 15 March 2015, 16:15
Confirmed User

I started swimming again regularly this past year. I bought a normal pair of Speedo goggles which really felt uncomfortable after twenty of so minutes, it feel like they were squeezing my eyes into my skull. I then went and bought a mask.
Old 17 March 2015, 11:04
Confirmed User

I've had good luck with Barracuda goggles. The fit up has a lot to do with the bone structure of your face. I've found the barracuda's foam hits my eyes fairly well.
The Aqua Sphere look interesting - I may have to try them.
Old 17 March 2015, 12:49
Been There Done That

I buy the dollar store cheapies. Never had a problem as long as I hock up a good goober beforehand to keep them from fogging up.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 15 April 2015, 10:08
Confirmed User

I was an Ironman Triathlete in my former life and the Aquasphere goggles are hard to beat, regardless of which model you choose.
No goggle is completely "fog-proof" and even the best ones wear out and fog up as they age. I usually ended up just licking the inside of the lens before beginning a workout. If you're not into that, find a small squirt bottle, add a few drops of baby shampoo, fill the rest with water and squirt a bit into the goggles before swimming. Fog-free.
Old 15 April 2015, 10:12
Puttin' on the foil

Been using these 3 times a week since I got them. No fogging up during my use and they are very comfortable during my ~1 hour sessions.

10/10 would buy again.

Our new posting rules