SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 9 June 2015, 20:38

"Healthy" alcohol options.

Good evening. I'm in the process of dropping some weight and bumping up my endurance. I've straightened out my diet, started running/pushups/situps and the weight is coming off slowly, but I'd like to kick it into a higher gear. I'd like to eliminate beer and switch to a liquor option, but I'm not so sure where to start. I've found contradicting recommendations online - some say to stick with clear liquors such as vodka or clear rum, while others suggest that having a drink, clear or not, is just as bad as having a beer.

I'm a pretty social guy, so going out and having a few drinks is a common occurrence for me. I understand that booze is basically empty calories, so if I need to cut it out completely, I will, but I'd rather not be stuck around a bunch of people who are drinking while I sip on a club soda. Thanks. Hope this finds you all well. Stay safe.
Old 9 June 2015, 20:49
Confirmed User

Watch your mixers is my advice. You standard tonic water has thirty-fucking-two grams of sugar per 12 ounce bottle. Only seven less grams than a Coke.
Old 9 June 2015, 20:53
All Labs Matter

IF there was a need to drink, and I was trying to loose weight, then straight spirits (tequila, bourbon, scotch, etc.) with a little ice would seem to make the most sense. Agree w/Atrax that mixer are calorie bombs.

However, if i was really trying to get in shape the alcohol would be very limited if not eliminated.
Old 9 June 2015, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
Watch your mixers is my advice. You standard tonic water has thirty-fucking-two grams of sugar per 12 ounce bottle. Only seven less grams than a Coke.
Oh, definitely, thank you, I forgot to hit on that. I don't drink regular soda at all, and hardly ever drink diet soda, but I do drink a lot of flavored seltzer (club soda) and never tonic water. If it turns out booze is doable, I'd likely just stick with vodka/club soda, or scotch/diet soda.
Old 9 June 2015, 22:39
FNG

I found for me, personally, I have to eliminate it completely in order to achieve the goals I want as far as weight loss in a timely manner. It sucks for the first week or two, then after that I could give a fuck less if people around me are getting hammered. It's a priority type thing for me, but I understand your pain, I love my beer!
Old 9 June 2015, 23:28
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

This subject always interests me.

Up to a few years ago I was drinking enough beer I had a "special price" at my local liquor store if I bought more than 6 cases per purchase. Then several years ago on a fluke I quit drinking all together.

Any alcoholic beverage carries a lot of calories, and that is where the weight will come from. I do not preach, but if you wish:

http://www.caloriecount.com/calories...whiskey-i14037
Old 9 June 2015, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
This subject always interests me.

Up to a few years ago I was drinking enough beer I had a "special price" at my local liquor store if I bought more than 6 cases per purchase. Then several years ago on a fluke I quit drinking all together.

Any alcoholic beverage carries a lot of calories, and that is where the weight will come from. I do not preach, but if you wish:

http://www.caloriecount.com/calories...whiskey-i14037
Thanks for the link. Looks like the biggest benefit of switching to vodka is that it's 0 carbs.
Old 10 June 2015, 00:02
Spice Weasel

Alcohol = empty calories. That should be enough reason to drop it if you're serious about getting back into shape. And the other thing is that that it is a diuretic and can leave you dehydrated. Generally a bad thing for athletes.

Not to say that I don't consume my share of empty calories when training, but moderation is the key to anything.

And diet soda is the devil. Interesting studies are out now that indicate less weight loss while drinking diet soda. I switched to carbonated water with lemon wedges for a fizzy sour lemonadish drink. Helps keep the kidney stones at bay, too.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 10 June 2015, 07:05
In Vino Veritas

Vodka and soda water. That is about as kal deficient as you'll get with alcohol.
Old 10 June 2015, 13:37
RIP SOTB

I think this online overview lays out the choices well. It depends what your personal goals.... i.e. a short term goal or life style change.

For me... moderation seems to be the key.

http://www.shapefit.com/weight-loss/...-calories.html

Here is to your success....
Old 10 June 2015, 18:31
NKDA

I mean, you could always go with a straight-up Vodka enema
Old 15 June 2015, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Vodka and soda water. That is about as kal deficient as you'll get with alcohol.
x2

As a person who spent almost a decade in the "adult beverage" industry, I feel I'm well qualified to answer this question, and concur with the above.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you about how after I quit drinking completely, I'm approaching the best shape of my life at 32 years of age. That's a personal choice. Really though, booze = bloat, no way around it. If you feel the need to drink, stick to vodka and club soda. Vodka soda is the drink of choice for those svelte runway models for a reason.
Old 15 June 2015, 12:29
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

Reading this far in this thread I wondered, what is the joy of drinking when you have to drink something you do not like.
Old 15 June 2015, 12:32
Been There Done That

Michelob Ultra.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15 June 2015, 12:44
Confronting the Reckoning

When I researched the low carb died works last year, the recommendation was dry white wine if you seek alcohol with a meal. The drier the better, as that meant as few sugars as possible. Beers were to be avoided until you had the carbohydrate load where you needed it to be.
Old 15 June 2015, 12:53
Confirmed User

Natural of "natty Ice" LOL http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrit...lume-14212.htm
Old 15 June 2015, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
When I researched the low carb died works last year, the recommendation was dry white wine if you seek alcohol with a meal. The drier the better, as that meant as few sugars as possible. Beers were to be avoided until you had the carbohydrate load where you needed it to be.
To touch upon this a little:

The Riesling varietal runs the gamut from sweet, to bone dry. Usually there is a scale on the back label indicating where on the sweetness spectrum the wine falls, but if there isn't, a good rule to follow is the lower the ABV the higher the sugar content, and the higher the ABV the drier the wine will be. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, like Sauternes (French dessert wine) and fortified wines like Port that have higher alcohol by volume, yet are sweet.

Alsace is the driest wine growing region in the world, so I'd suggest looking into wines from there for dry whites.

Specific varietals I'd look into that are typically more dry (not necessarily from Alsace) are Albariño (Spain), Sauvignon Blanc (specifically from Bordeaux, Sancerre, Loire Pouilly-Fumé) Chardonnay (not from California, but Chablis, Burgundy, Chile or any chard that is unoaked/fermented in steel or concrete tanks) Pinot Gris (Oregon, not Italian Pinot Grigio) or Trebianno/Ugni blanc (Italy/France).
Old 15 June 2015, 16:18
I aim to misbehave

Thinking back to old biochem classes, the issue, to me, with consuming booze is that alcohol is metabolized for energy before anything else, including glucose, meaning that the entire time you are processing the alcohol, all your excess sugar/carbs are being stored as fat. Aside from that, there are some studies to show that if you sleep while still processing alcohol, it can inhibit the release and uptake of HGH.

While true:
Continue
Old 15 June 2015, 16:46
jump fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
I mean, you could always go with a straight-up Vodka enema
One of my friends is a nurse and was admitting someone into ICU for failing organs, due to alcohol enemas. The patient was trying to convince the nurse she HAD to try it, because of how incredible the high/drunkness is...as she is being admitted for organ failure.

People are dumb!
Grief comes, but time will ease the pain.
Life ends, but death cannot erase it.
In memory, they will always remain.
Old 15 June 2015, 18:42
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Michelob Ultra.
Only 20 calories less than Coors Light.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules