SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 2 February 2007, 15:20
Been There Done That

VA education small print

I'm about to get boned, are there any VA smart guys in the crowd?

I retired from AD on 11-30-2000, I thought that my VA education benefits expired 10 years from that date. Thought I had 3 (+) years to knock out a Masters program. When I received my Cert of Eligibility it read that my benefits must be used by 04-16-07, I thought that somebody screwed up so I requested a review. I just got off the phone with them hoping to find out what my status was - they informed me that my 10 year clock started ticking the day my break in service began...I was out about 3 years, which explains the date that I was given.

I'm about to request a waiver, extending my delimiting date to the 10 year mark from my retirement date.

Anybody have any advice before I put this thing in the mail?
Old 2 February 2007, 15:38
Been There Done That

Interesting question, as I'm about to file again for my bennies. I got out in 97, understood I was good to use the funds until Aug 07. Has something changed?

Drew
Old 2 February 2007, 15:40
Quiet Professional

I believe It's always been that way, though not well publicized. Your break time as a civilian counts toward those 10 years. Not sure if there's any way around it.

I do seem to remember that there was something about if you did not use it at all during the break, the 10 years did not start until final separation.

Last edited by snaquebite; 2 February 2007 at 16:09.
Old 2 February 2007, 16:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
I believe It's always been that way, though not well publicized. Your break time as a civilian counts toward those 10 years. Not sure if there's any way around it.
It makes since...I haven't used any of my education benefits since I got out, got it all while I was AD and that was TA. It never hurts to ask for a waiver, all they can tell me is NO.
Old 2 February 2007, 19:34
Been There Done That

re

i think if you go back active duty for a specified length of time the clock restarts, look into it on military.com forums. there is also some bill out to try and either extend the 10 yrs limit, or eliminate it altogether
Old 3 February 2007, 20:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1chmoe
i think if you go back active duty for a specified length of time the clock restarts, look into it on military.com forums. there is also some bill out to try and either extend the 10 yrs limit, or eliminate it altogether

Hey, I'd vote for that one...
Old 3 February 2007, 20:15
Whatever Sucks the Most

If you are disabled and drawing compensation at a certain rate from the VA, you qualify for generous benefits. I forget the disability rate. Some of the other guys who are more conversant can address it.
Old 4 February 2007, 11:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician
If you are disabled and drawing compensation at a certain rate from the VA, you qualify for generous benefits. I forget the disability rate. Some of the other guys who are more conversant can address it.
Vocational Rehab is for entry level stuff, only, unfortunately, and in the end, pays less than someone with a more than entry level position, already, when compared to GI Bill..

I just got back from my briefing this past week... they will not pay for a Master's Degree or anything above basic entry level/journeyman level training.
Old 4 February 2007, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
Vocational Rehab is for entry level stuff, only, unfortunately, and in the end, pays less than someone with a more than entry level position, already, when compared to GI Bill..

I just got back from my briefing this past week... they will not pay for a Master's Degree or anything above basic entry level/journeyman level training.
Correct. A lot of it depends on the nature of your dissability.
Old 6 February 2007, 16:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav

Sounds much like the deal being offered here in Oregon. The State will cover up to $40K to "supplement" (right.... no "double-dipping" allowed!) whatever the VA offers, but only for a vocational certificate or an initial baccalaureate degree at an Oregon institution. Additional baccalaureates, graduate work of any kind, and/or anything at any level that's only available out-of-state is an absolute no-go.
Old 4 February 2007, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician
I believe you have to at least be 20% Service Connected. I believe you have 12 yrs from the time of separation to use it.

If you ever get re evaluated and your SC percentage is increased, the time frame to use your benefits re starts at the time of the % change.

Ive been out since 91 and recently started voc rehab. The reason for me to be able to do this is because of my latest increase from a couple of yrs ago.
Old 3 February 2007, 20:20
Semper Fidelis

The ten year thing recently hit me. Even though the tenth year was when I was activated and deployed to OIF. The VA still counted that year even though there was no way I could have attended school.

The thunder of freedom is but a whisper to the silent yet deafening roar of honor.
Old 3 February 2007, 21:00
Fan ar an gcosán

Near the bottom of this page is says, "...usually have 10 years...":http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/C...et_General.htm

This doesn't answer your question, but I guess spells out a non-guarantee of 10 years. That being said, I am using the GI Bill to finish school now. I have spoken with VA agents numerous times to get a "balance" of monies, but that does not exist per se. Once you separate your 10 year clock starts. Also, once training starts the 3 years (academic), which really equals 4 years (going only Spring/Fall) begins, as does the deductions from your total GI Bill amount.

I separated in 2000, and every time I verify my benefits online, at the bottom of the page reads, "Additional Educational Benefits Information:
Benefits are not payable after: ***-**-2010". If you are setup with GI Bill, log onto the W.A.V.E. site and see what yours says.

WAVE verification: https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/
Old 3 February 2007, 21:06
Semper Fidelis

If any of you live in Tx. You can be covered by the Hazelwood act, which will pick up where your Montgomery leaves off. The institution must be TEA approved and your course of study must be either a degree or certificate program. Great program though, with no time limit and a hefty sum. It is worth asking your financial aid officer about.

The thunder of freedom is but a whisper to the silent yet deafening roar of honor.
Old 4 February 2007, 01:30
Been There Done That

found this

Question
What if I am beyond my original 10-year period of eligibility when called up?

Answer
If you were eligible for the MGIB Active Duty program, and serve at least 90 continuous days on active duty at a later date, you become eligible again for the MGIB Active Duty Program. You receive a new ten-year period of eligibility from the end of your call-up period for MGIB - Active Duty (Chapter 30) and VEAP (Chapter 32) participants. If you served less than 90 continuous days and are discharged or released for a service connected disability, for a non-service connected medical condition which preexisted the later active duty service, for hardship, or because of a reduction in force for the convenience of the government, you will still get a new ten-year period of eligibility. We may need evidence of active service such as copies of orders or DD Form 214. You would not receive an extension of your eligibility if you were called up under title 32 (state authority) orders for operational purposes.
Old 4 February 2007, 11:44
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1chmoe
Question
What if I am beyond my original 10-year period of eligibility when called up?

Answer
If you were eligible for the MGIB Active Duty program, and serve at least 90 continuous days on active duty at a later date, you become eligible again for the MGIB Active Duty Program. You receive a new ten-year period of eligibility from the end of your call-up period for MGIB - Active Duty (Chapter 30) and VEAP (Chapter 32) participants. If you served less than 90 continuous days and are discharged or released for a service connected disability, for a non-service connected medical condition which preexisted the later active duty service, for hardship, or because of a reduction in force for the convenience of the government, you will still get a new ten-year period of eligibility. We may need evidence of active service such as copies of orders or DD Form 214. You would not receive an extension of your eligibility if you were called up under title 32 (state authority) orders for operational purposes.

s1chmoe,
Maybe you can help me out,
I recently applied for education benefits (under Chapter 30); I was turned down because my discharge date from my first active duty contract was 11years previous. I included a copy of my OIF activation orders and the member 4 page of my most recent DD214. I received a declined letter stating that my benefits had expired in 2005, ten years from my active duty EAS.

If you site where I could research this I would be very greatful. I would like to include this information in my appeal letter.

Old 4 February 2007, 10:03
BTDT

Magician, I think the VA rehab education you speak of is up to 30%. When I retired (86) it was 10%. It payed full tuition, books, lab fees, pens, pencils, everything.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."
Old 4 February 2007, 12:06
Authorized Personnel

Also.. if you use Voc Rehab, and you are in a job that currently inflames your injuries, they will REQUIRE that you quit your job.. which is where that subsidy for living comes into play...

Obviously, if you need them to help you get into a different job because you're injured, then you are in a job that you cannot do. It makes sense... Voc Rehab is a great program... it just didn't work for me, personally. And every situation is different.

Also, if you are eligible for Voc Rehab, I'd recommend going to to briefing just to have the information so you can make a truly informed decision. Additionally, just because you're eligible, doesn't mean you're entitled.
Old 4 February 2007, 16:51
Been There Done That

re

try the va website, there is a lot of info there, also, i hate the forums at military.com, but in the forums, there is a place that discusses education and gi bill i think. i found that snippet i posted on google and i'm not sure how to get back to it. hope this helps, if you have any disability issues, check with your healthcare physician, perhaps he can write a letter for you stating that you were in no condition to go to school (if you were somehow medically disabled...) its worth a shot, persistence is key i think...
Old 5 February 2007, 13:41
Confirmed User

Stop sea-lawyering, and find the local VA VocRehab rep

The VocRehab program got me to where I'm at today.
Find the local rep. Many colleges and universities know who they are.
I called the college business office, and hit payola! He was there that day!

I'm not in an entry level position, and the program was able to provide everything I needed to excell at what I wanted to do.

The VocRehab rep is equiped to determine what if any eligiblity and requiremments you need. They can also point you in some alternate directions, if needed.
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy."

Pres. John F. Kennedy
Remarks to the Naval Academy
August 1963

Our new posting rules