SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 25 September 2019, 09:06
Authorized Personnel

Books on the 6th Ranger Battalion and the Alamo Scouts

Good morning Rangers.

I am interested in any books you could recommend regarding the history of the 6th Ranger Battalion and the Alamo Scouts as I trust your judgment more than the rating system on Amazon.

Thank you in advance.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

"Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation." -Me

"I know it upsets you, but the purpose of the game is to perpetuate the game." -Me
Old 25 September 2019, 11:39
Conformed User

I read Silent Warriors of WW2 by Lance Zedric. I had to get it used since it's out of print, but it was a very good read. It was concise - not a ton of detail on specific operations. I was amazed at the similarity between the Alamo Scouts and the Vietnam LRRPs. Even the pictures in the book look like they could've been taken 25 years later.

I would have liked more specific detail into some of the missions, but it was a good overarching view of the topic.
Old 25 September 2019, 11:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
I read Silent Warriors of WW2 by Lance Zedric. I had to get it used since it's out of print, but it was a very good read. It was concise - not a ton of detail on specific operations. I was amazed at the similarity between the Alamo Scouts and the Vietnam LRRPs. Even the pictures in the book look like they could've been taken 25 years later.

I would have liked more specific detail into some of the missions, but it was a good overarching view of the topic.
Thank you. I have ordered that one.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

"I know it upsets you, but the purpose of the game is to perpetuate the game." -Me
Old 25 September 2019, 13:07
Been There Done That

'The Great Raid', by William B. Breuer about the 6th Rgr Bn raid on the POW camp at Banatuan in PI. It was made into a movie in the early 2000's also. They occasionally show documentaries of the raid on AMC and AHC. The monument and memorials at the site in Cabanatuan was opened in the 1980's and is run by ABMC Manila.
Old 25 September 2019, 15:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
'The Great Raid', by William B. Breuer about the 6th Rgr Bn raid on the POW camp at Banatuan in PI. It was made into a movie in the early 2000's also. They occasionally show documentaries of the raid on AMC and AHC. The monument and memorials at the site in Cabanatuan was opened in the 1980's and is run by ABMC Manila.
Thank you!

-Stan

Old 26 September 2019, 06:38
been ***** **** that

I have never had a great mind for history, though do a bit of reading on it. It bothered me that during my three years in the Pacific Northwest I did not know that Major Robert Prince was then living in the Wenatchee area. I used to fish and hunt that area when the time allowed. There are some living historians that frequent FB (which I no longer frequent) that probably have some rather indepth detail of the Rangers and Special Forces from that era.
Old 27 September 2019, 13:34
Been There Done That

Although I'm not a Ranger I can recommend the articles written for Veritas magazine out of the Special Forces History Office

These cover Alamo Scouts and the 6th Ranger battalion

https://www.soc.mil/ARSOF_History/ar...ts_page_1.html

https://www.soc.mil/ARSOF_History/ar..._pt2_page_2.html

https://www.soc.mil/ARSOF_History/ar...an_page_1.html

Also you can download this official history as a pdf

Rangers : selected combat operations in World War II

Old 27 September 2019, 14:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
Your post.
Thank you!

-Stan

Old 27 September 2019, 17:58
Confirmed User

https://www.amazon.com/Raider-Legendary-Soldier-Performed-American/dp/0312360657

Here is a book about Sgt Maj Kittleson, Alamo Scout who was on the Cabanatuan raid and later the Son Tay raid.When I googled his name to find the book, there were a bunch of SOCNET threads about him too.
Old 27 September 2019, 20:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb5417 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Raider-Legendary-Soldier-Performed-American/dp/0312360657

Here is a book about Sgt Maj Kittleson, Alamo Scout who was on the Cabanatuan raid and later the Son Tay raid.When I googled his name to find the book, there were a bunch of SOCNET threads about him too.
Thank you!

-Stan

Old 27 September 2019, 20:25
Been There Done That

"Ghost Soldiers"

By Hampton Sides

https://www.amazon (dot) com/Ghost-Soldiers-Account-Greatest-Mission/dp/038549565X/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=alamo+scouts&qid=1569630239&sr=8-2
Old 27 September 2019, 20:46
Been There Done That

Here, this monograph written by a student in the 1947-48 Infantry Officer Advanced Course is more to the point on the Alamo Scouts.

Author LTC Gibson Niles was the third and last director of training (as a MAJ) at the Alamo Scouts Training Center.

Just as a matter of interest the Alamo Scouts were recognized in 1988 with awarding them the Special Forces tab.

Finally, you can also access

CIA history of the Alamo Scouts
Old 27 September 2019, 23:02
Authorized Personnel

My memory is getting bad but I seem to remember reading about it one of the books written about COL Bull Simons. He was in the 6th Ranger Battalion during that raid.

He was also the ground force commander on the Son Tay raid.

Maas
Old 27 September 2019, 23:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maas View Post
My memory is getting bad but I seem to remember reading about it one of the books written about COL Bull Simons. He was in the 6th Ranger Battalion during that raid.

He was also the ground force commander on the Son Tay raid.

Maas

You remembered correctly, it was first mentioned in The Raid by Benjamin Schemmer. Bull Simons started as a 2LT in the 98th Pack Artillery before it became the 6th Ranger Battalion where he commanded a company and finally became Battalion XO.
Old 28 September 2019, 14:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Here, this monograph written by a student in the 1947-48 Infantry Officer Advanced Course is more to the point on the Alamo Scouts.

Author LTC Gibson Niles was the third and last director of training (as a MAJ) at the Alamo Scouts Training Center.

Just as a matter of interest the Alamo Scouts were recognized in 1988 with awarding them the Special Forces tab.

This just reminded me of a document I read on the National Archives while researching my father's Vietnam service. It was a conference on LRRP* activities in Vietnam (the conference was held at the Recondo training center IIRC). The General chairing the conference was a member of the Alamo scouts and compared his experiences with the LRRP units in Europe and in Vietnam. I think I saved the document and will post it when I find it.

*My dad was not a LRRP, I just came across the document while doing the research.

Edit: I found the document. I think I was mistaken about the Alamo Scouts. General Peers referenced his time in Burma. I don't know if the Alamo Scouts operated in that theater.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LRRP.pdf (888.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mb5417; 28 September 2019 at 15:05.
Old 28 September 2019, 15:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
This just reminded me of a document I read on the National Archives while researching my father's Vietnam service. It was a conference on LRRP* activities in Vietnam (the conference was held at the Recondo training center IIRC). The General chairing the conference was a member of the Alamo scouts and compared his experiences with the LRRP units in Europe and in Vietnam. I think I saved the document and will post it when I find it.

*My dad was not a LRRP, I just came across the document while doing the research.

Edit: I found the document. I think I was mistaken about the Alamo Scouts. General Peers referenced his time in Burma. I don't know if the Alamo Scouts operated in that theater.
Thank you!

-Stan

Old 28 September 2019, 15:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:

Thank you!

-Stan

Old 28 September 2019, 18:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
I think I was mistaken about the Alamo Scouts. General Peers referenced his time in Burma. I don't know if the Alamo Scouts operated in that theater.

You were mistaken. LTG Peers had served in Detachment 101 with the OSS in WW2 and had nothing to do with the Alamo Scouts. And with the Alamo Scouts being part of US 6th Army they didn't operate in Burma but rather New Guinea and the Philippines.
Old 28 September 2019, 19:30
Been There Done That

It's on the Military Channel right now. 1600/28Sep2019
Old 29 September 2019, 18:24

Another good read primarily on the Alamo scouts is: Shadows in the jungle; the Alamo Scouts behind Japanese lines in WWII.

Shadows is a mix of historical documentary, and narrative. It expands on the ‘Silent Warriors’ by Lance Zedric bringing life to the pages.

Excerpt, “The raid at Los Banos, one of the most successful rescues in American military history, went almost unnoticed by the public back home in the States. That was because on the very same day, February 23, 1945” U.S. Marines and a Navy corpsman raised a flag on top of Mount Suribachi.

And,

“In early December, about a month into the lengthy mission, Sumner received a radio report about well-camouflaged Japanese warehouses on the out skirts of Ormoc City that reportedly contained stores of food and ammunition. The 6th Army had called in air strikes, but the planes had been unable to spot the buildings beneath their camouflage netting. The task of knocking out the warehouses was thus passed on to Sumner and his men. He sat down with Nazareno and drew up plans to form a special contact company.”

Our new posting rules