SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 24 January 2009, 22:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
Great book.

I think I'll reread that just to read something by someone who can write and get the words of Kevin Philips purged from my brain.
I agree, even though I just started reading it. Heinlein definitely sounds more interesting than Kevin Phillips -- good luck with your purge .
Old 24 January 2009, 22:58
Greenhat
Visitor

Well, since my previous post, I've read the first two chapters. Definitely a good read. Bob Heinlein could write!!
Old 25 January 2009, 18:05
Scotty's Mommy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmurphy View Post
Cold Mountain.

My daughter got it from the library.

I have mixed feelings about it. Didn't see the movie.
Good for you that you are giving it a fair chance. I read it and bought a copy for my daughter and have seen the movie. I liked it but then being a chick and from NC...I would, wouldn't I?
Old 25 January 2009, 18:06
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
Don't bother with this book. I'm struggling to get through it. Some of the author's claims make the tin-foil hat crowd look sane.
If it's the book I'm thinking of, sorry. I couldn't get through it. almost done with Andrew Jackson. Now that's a good book.
Old 27 January 2009, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-M-R View Post
Good for you that you are giving it a fair chance. I read it and bought a copy for my daughter and have seen the movie. I liked it but then being a chick and from NC...I would, wouldn't I?
Being a dude from GA I do like parts of it.
Old 27 January 2009, 17:35

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

One long damn book
Old 27 January 2009, 17:44

one of the best book around. read it in HS in 1984.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strande View Post
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

One long damn book
Old 27 January 2009, 19:13
Confirmed User

I'm halfway through "Kill Bin Laden" by Dalton Fury

Just finished Timothy Weiner's "Legacy of Ashes", rather brutal assessment of the agency. I still feel that he is probably spot on with a lot of the agencies failures, just not as honest about their successes.

I've got quite a bit in my stack.
Old 28 January 2009, 21:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorer1 View Post
I am currently reading Not A Good Day To Die by Sean Naylor. I'm about halfway thru.....good read thus far.

I highly recommend Not A Good Day to Die. A very detailed account of Operation Anaconda told from multiple points of view. There was a lot of information that I was surprised to see in print.
Old 10 February 2009, 12:28
All Star Benchwarmer

For Christmas one of my brothers bought Lies my Teachers told me by James Loewen. It's basically going over how history has been "changed" by revisionists historians who only want to paint the good picture of America, and don't want to delve into the bad stuff. Pretty good read so far, but I'm only in the first chapter discussing "heros" we've created.

I also got sidetracked last night by another book. I'm also reading The Heroin Diaries by Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx. I have to confess to having a love of the "dirty" metal that came out of the 80's.
Old 10 February 2009, 12:54

Newest books I've read (or listened to from Audible.com) and can recommend are:
The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-Secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America by James Bamford.
Quote:
Today's National Security Agency is the largest, most costly, and most technologically advanced spy organization the world has ever known. It is also the most intrusive, secretly filtering millions of phone calls and e-mails an hour in the United States and around the world. Half a million people live on its watch list, and the number grows by the thousands every month. Has America become a surveillance state?
Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell.
Quote:
In June 2005, four U.S. Navy SEALs left their base in Afghanistan for the Pakistani border. Their mission was to capture or kill a notorious al Qaeda leader. Less then 24 hours later, only one of those SEALs remained alive.
Jawbreaker: The Attack on bin Laden and al-Qaeda by Gary Berntsen and Ralph Pezzullo.
Quote:
In Jawbreaker, Gary Berntsen, until recently one of the CIA's most decorated officers, comes out from under cover for the first time to describe his no-holds-barred pursuit of Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda.
Old 13 February 2009, 13:43
Confirmed User

Devil in the White City

Just finished Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. A very informative account of the Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer H.H. Holmes. I found it rather long-winded at times, but for lovers of history it is worth a read. Holmes was one sick bastard.
Old 13 February 2009, 16:16
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Just finished Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. A very informative account of the Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer H.H. Holmes. I found it rather long-winded at times, but for lovers of history it is worth a read. Holmes was one sick bastard.
This is a terrific book if you like Chicago history. The background about the construction of the Columbian Exposition under the direction of architect Daniel Burnahm is fascinating. He was the visionary who helped dedicate the permanance of Grant Park. Anyone who has ever visited Chicago knows what a beautiful lakefront we have and he is the man responsible.
Old 14 February 2009, 11:08
Confirmed User

reading

On Combat. Very interesting and very informative.

"When fortune smiles on something as ugly and vicious as revenge, it's not only proof that God exists, your doing his will"
-The Bride

"Enter arma, eniem silent legas"
-Cicero

"The road to hell is paved with the bones and good intentions of 2nd Lieutenant's and the Marines who followed them"
-Anonymous
Old 14 February 2009, 23:08
Code name Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX teacher View Post
For Christmas one of my brothers bought Lies my Teachers told me by James Loewen. It's basically going over how history has been "changed" by revisionists historians who only want to paint the good picture of America, and don't want to delve into the bad stuff.
There is no difference between James Loewen and the so called revisionist historians he challenges. Mr Loewen is considered very Left wing in his views as is this book. For some reason men of Mr. Loewen's fabric often find it appealing to blacken the name America. Why?

What is truth? If you did not physically see it happen yourself, chances are you will get a somewhat skewed view of the event.

Mr. Loewen's view is skewed way left.
Old 14 February 2009, 23:33
Ragnar Danneskjold

LOL, my reading is pretty friggin' boring compared to most of you fellas....

Dressage: The Classical Art of Riding by Sylvia Loch. A history of horsemanship from ancient Greece to the modern Olympics. A lot of interesting stuff on the development of miltary horsemanship, as well as western riding in the US and it's relationship to the mounted bullfighting of the Iberian Peninsula.

The Athletic Development of the Dressage Horse: Manege Patterns by Charles de Kunffy. Just starting it, but most of what he's said so far he could be describing cowboy horse training.

INside the Wire by Eric Saar. Interesting look at Gitmo.

From Sea to Shining Sea by James Alexander Thom. Fictional account of the Clark family, with an emphasis on George Rogers and William. Their parents raised one hell of a set of kids! Third or fourth read.

Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough. I've read this novel about a ranch family in Australia at least five or six times. One of my favs.
Old 17 February 2009, 08:01
Aww F**K it

I read The Outfit By J.P.S. Brown, great cowboy book. Huh, turns out he was a Marine. www.jpsbrown-horseman.com/

I just downloaded Journey to the center of the earth on my Blackberry, and also 2 David Gemmel books.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 17 February 2009, 09:51
Confirmed User

I just started the MA program for Criminal Justice this semester. It is a nice breather from Psychology. Here is the latest reading list (LEO's out there might find some of these interesting):

A Thesis Resource Guide for Criminology and Criminal Justice by McShane & Williams
Fundamentals of Research in Criminology and Criminal Justice by Bachman & Schutt
History and Crime by Godfrey, Lawrence, & Williams
Crime and Punishment: A History of the Criminal Justice System by Roth
Criminological Theory: Essential Readings by Cullen & Agnew
Criminological Theory Williams & McShane

Also:
Fitness Theory and Practice and another textbook for Personal Training Certification from AFAA

Life is one big PAR-TAY!
Old 17 February 2009, 22:00
Ragnar Danneskjold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
I read The Outfit By J.P.S. Brown, great cowboy book. Huh, turns out he was a Marine. www.jpsbrown-horseman.com/
This is the quintessential modern cowboy novel, right next to Last Buckaroo by Mackey Hedges. If you liked the OUtfit, you'll LOVE Last Buckaroo, and it's flat funny too.

All of Brown's stuff is autobiographical, and I've never met a working cowboy that didn't love his stuff.
Old 24 February 2009, 11:43
All Star Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post

Mr. Loewen's view is skewed way left.
I won't disagree with you on the skewing of his interpretations...especially as I get further into reading. But, as you mentioned who can really say what happened if you weren't really there.

I tell my kids that I teach that history is a person's interpretation of events. I think though that often times we are only getting one side of a story and that is a disservice to the general population. Of course, it keeps people like me employed and gives us plenty to do when it comes to researching what really happened.

Sadly, history is generally written by the victors and naturally will be skewed in that direction. However, there is always another side to every story. I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Our new posting rules