SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Special Operations Tributes

Old 15 April 2011, 15:56

RIP-George Petrie-Son Tay Raider

I apologize for breaking protocol by posting on this thread. I learned today that an old friend, George Petrie, died quietly in his sleep in Greenville, TX last night. Major Petrie (then Lieutenant Petrie) was the first Raider on the ground, during the Son Tay raid, when he was thrown from the door of his helicopter.
Again, sorry for posting when not vetted, but I thought the members would want to know about a Raider's passing.
Old 15 April 2011, 16:11
Gunny = god

Rest in Peace Son Tay Raider.
Old 15 April 2011, 16:14

Rest in Peace Major and thank you for your many years of service, sacrifice and dedication.
Old 15 April 2011, 23:58
Been There Done That

RIP Sir
Old 16 April 2011, 06:45
Been There Done That

RIP Raider, thank you for your service and for what you've done.

Praters and condolences out to your family and friends..
Old 16 April 2011, 08:27

RIP Sir.

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 16 April 2011, 08:57
Authorized

Deepest Respect and Blue Skies Son Tay Raider. Rest easy.
Old 16 April 2011, 09:11
Been There Done That

The effect the Raiders had on the SF Community in general is immeasurable; as is the MACV/SOG Soldiers. These guys went back into the community as "Quiet Professionals" and started making changes from the ground up. The relevance of SF in military operations today is due in large part part to their efforts.
Old 16 April 2011, 09:22
Been There Done That

Blue Skies...
Old 16 April 2011, 14:46
In God We Trust...all others are suspect

RIP Sir.
Old 16 April 2011, 14:50

Blue Skys
Old 16 April 2011, 15:34
Been There Done That

RIP Major.
Old 16 April 2011, 16:53
Secure The Victory!

RIP Warrior
Old 18 April 2011, 18:24

George Petrie

May he rest in peace, and God bless his family. I'd sure like to be in the Uptown Grill when he is remembered.
Old 19 April 2011, 05:49
ORP

Rest in Peace Major Petrie.

Thrown from the door? Well I guess that's what you get when you intentionally crash land to maintain the element of surprise.

Heroes, all of 'em.
Old 19 April 2011, 08:13
Been There Done That

RIP Raider

A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very, very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.
Old 19 April 2011, 11:41
Odin's Underling

RIP Raider. Thanks for your service and sacrifices to this great nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonger View Post
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 19 April 2011, 13:24
Been There Done That

RIP
Old 22 April 2011, 11:55
Been There Done That

RIP Major.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 23 April 2011, 17:56

RIP Major Petrie. Best wishes to his family and friends, and especially to those brave warriors with whom he served...
Old 20 August 2011, 18:30
Been There Done That

Thank you for your legacy Sir...

Rest well.
Old 20 August 2011, 22:02
Been There Done That

A little bit more bio on Major Petrie:

Son Tay Raider MAJ George Petrie, R.I.P. 15 April 2011

Distinguished Member of the Special Forces Regiment Inducted 13 January 2010 Major George Petrie entered the U.S. Army as a Private on June 22, 1958. After attending Basic and Advanced Infantry Combat Training, he was assigned to Fort Bragg, North Carolina for Basic Airborne Training, becoming a proud member of the 3 19th Airborne Field Artillery, 82nd Airborne Division.

In 1962, Major Petrie graduated from the Special Forces Communications Course as Honor Graduate and was assigned to the 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) as an A-Team Senior Radio Supervisor. When 8th Special Group (Airborne) was stood up at Fort Gulick , Panama Canal Zone , Major Petrie transferred to the new unit. While there, over the next three years, he attended Scuba and Underwater Demolitions School and Spanish Language School.

In 1967 Major Petrie returned to 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), in the Republic of Vietnam as a Team Sergeant and Company Commander of a mobile guerrilla force. The next year, Major Petrie returned to Fort Bragg , assigned first to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), and later 6th Special Forces Group (Airborne). During this time, he graduated the Special Forces Operations and Intelligence Course as Distinguished Honor Graduate and also completed the Special Forces Intelligence Analyst Course.

In 1970, Major Petrie received a Direct Commission to First Lieutenant. After completing the Infantry Officers Basic Course at Fort Benning , Georgia , he was chosen as part of Operation Ivory Coast, the mission to rescue Americans held prisoners in the Son Tay prison camp. Major Petrie, part of the Assault Team "Blue Boy," was the first raider to hit the ground during the assault on the camp.

Major Petrie returned to the Republic of Vietnam in 1971, ultimately becoming Company Commander of Company A, 1st Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) known as the "George Dickel Gang." He returned stateside for the Infantry Officers Advanced Course where he was the Honor Graduate. His next assignment was with the Joint Casualty Resolution Center in Thailand . He then served in Saigon, first as an Operations Officer, Field Investigator, Corps Desk Officer; and finally as an Action Officer in the U.S. Embassy Defense Attaché Office, serving as a member of the Special Planning Group for the Evacuation of Saigon.

Between 1975 and 1976, Major Petrie was assigned to the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii . Between 1976 and 1980, remaining in Hawaii , he was again assigned to the Joint Casualty Resolution Center with additional duty as the Special Operations Division Escape and Evasion Officer, U.S. Pacific Command, a post he would also hold in Korea before retiring from Active Duty on May 31, 1980.

Among his numerous decorations he was awarded the Silver Star w/olc, bronze star w/'V' device, ARCOM w/'V' Device, Purple Heart w/olc, Legion of Merit and Meritorious Service Medal.

He had the Master Parachutist wings w/Bronze Combat Star, CIB, Scuba, Pathfinder, Jungle Warfighter badges and Special Forces tab.

George was also awarded the Gold Order of Saint Philip Neri.

George served as President of the Special Forces Association Chapter XXXI for 19+ years

Last edited by agonyea; 3 September 2011 at 21:04.
Old 20 August 2011, 22:50
Hard to Kill

Rest Peacefully, George

My best to Tiny

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” - G. Orwell

The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall.
Old 12 November 2013, 20:37
Authorized

Wreaths Across America

SonTay Kid. I was at your dads funeral and spent more than one Memorial Day at their house in Dallas. I sat with Charlie at the service.

This December 14th, my kids and I will make sure that George has a wreath on his headstone for the holidays.

God Bless

CS - Associate member Chapter XXXI
Old 19 December 2013, 17:41
Authorized

Very cold and blustery day at Dallas National Cemetery. My 7 & 8 year old did a great job laying wreaths. Not a great pic, but the Silver Star listed on George's headstone is for his participation in the Son Tay raid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George Petrie Gravestone.jpg (157.7 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by magician; 19 December 2013 at 18:40. Reason: apparently i cannot attach a vertical photo / Has to be a bug in the board software. I could not fix it.
Old 19 December 2013, 20:34
Hard to Kill

Back,

Thanks for taking care of him.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” - G. Orwell

The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall.
Old 10 January 2014, 01:34
Rest In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheDay View Post
Very cold and blustery day at Dallas National Cemetery. My 7 & 8 year old did a great job laying wreaths. Not a great pic, but the Silver Star listed on George's headstone is for his participation in the Son Tay raid.
He actually had two, I believe one from a previous tour.

He was a great guy. All the Raiders seemed to me to rise in stature and accomplishments as the years went on. Maybe one of them turned into a bum but I never heard of him. Instead there was Jakovenko, Poole†, Petrie†. Too many of them now †.

One thing about George Petrie. He and his wife were also animal lovers on a scale to match his military accomplishments. They saved a lot of dependent little furry things.

He was also what Malcolm Gladwell called a "connector." Ten years or so ago -- maybe more -- I was looking for a guy from a particular A-Camp. George and Bill Coombs connected me to an officer who'd been in the camp, George Dooley. When I talked to Dooley, I mentioned he had the same last name as the Vietnam SF cartoonist who was KIA -- and got the story of the loss of Mike Dooley, from a man who was there.

It's a privilege for a younger guy to have known any of those Vietnam era guys. They prosecuted that war, and then, the much tougher job of keeping SF alive through the peace.

Thank you and your kids for this service to the dead -- and the living.
Old 23 April 2011, 18:21
Drawing my cutlass

RIP, warrior.
Old 23 April 2011, 21:25
Been There Done That

For anyone in the DFW/North Texas area, George's services will be as follows:

26 April - Wake and Visitation for George in Greenville is from 6-8 at the Coke-Mathews Funeral home. You can get more info at cokermathers.com or calling (903) 450-4110.

27 April - 12:00 - 1:00 Visitation at Potter House next to Dallas Baptist University; 1:00 - 2:00 Memorial at the Potter House, 6777 W. Kiest Blvd, Dallas, TX 75211

27 April - 2:30 - 3:00 Funeral at the DFW National Cemetery, 2000 Mountain Creek Parkway, Dallas, TX 75211

RIP, old friend. You've earned it.

Richard
Old 23 April 2011, 22:40

Major George W Petrie Jr.

My Father Major George W Petrie( Ret) passed away friday April 15,2011 quietly in his sleep at 4:30 A.M. with me by his side.

"George Petrie entered the US Army as a Private on 22 June 1958. After attending BCT and Infantry AIT, he was assigned to Fort Bragg, NC, for Basic Airborne Training, becoming a proud member of the 319th Airborne Field Artillery, 82nd Airborne Division. In 1962, he gradated from the SF Commo Course as Honor Graduate and was assigned to the 5th SFGA as an A-Team Senior Radio Operator Supervisor. When the 8th SFGA stood up at Fort Gulick, Panama Canal Zone, he transferred to the new unit. While there, he attended the Underwater Operations and Spanish language courses. In 1967 he returned to the 5th SFGA as a Team Sergeant and Company Commander of a mobile guerrilla force in the 2nd Mobile Strike Force, Pleiku, RVN. He returned to Fort Bragg, assigned first to the 3rd SFGA and then the 6th SFGA, and graduating from the SF O&I course as Distinguished Honor Graduate.

He received a direct commission to 1LT and completed the Infantry Officer Basic Course at fort Benning, GA, in 1970. He was then selected to be a part of Operation Ivory Coast, the Son Tay prison raid deep in North Vietnam, where he was a member of the 'Blue Boy' assault element and the first of the raiders to hit the ground.

He returned to RVN in 1971, serving as the CDR of Company A, 1st Bn, 5th SFGA. He then attended the Infantry Officer Advance Course where he was the Honor Graduate before assignment to the Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC), Thailand, serving in Saigon, RVN, as an Ops Oficer, Field Investigator, Corps Desk Officer, and Action Officer for the AmEmbassy Defense Attache Office where he was a member of the special planning group for the evacuation of Saigon during Operation Frequent Wind. He was then assigned to the 25th Infantry Division, HI, for one year before serving with the relocated JCRC and as SpecOpsDiv E&E Officer for PACOM in HI and the ROK. He retired 11 May 1980 and was the President of SFA Chapter XXXl here in North Texas for over 18 years.

His awards and decorations include the SS (OLC), LOM, BSM w/V (OLC), MSM, AM, PH (OLC), ARCOM w/V (3 OLC), JSCM NAVCOM w/V, AGCM,( 3 Awards) NDSM (BS), AFEM (2 BS), VNSVC, KDSM, HSM, VNCG ( Palm GS, SS, BS), VNHM, VNWM, VNCAM, VNCM, IAPFM, PUC (OLC), VUC, MUC (OLC), VNCAUC, VNCGUC, CIB, Master Parachute Badge, SCUBA Badge, SF Tab, Pathfinder Badge, RVN Master Parachute Badge, ROK Master Parachute Badge, and Thai Master Prachute Badge. "

Our new posting rules