SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 November 2019, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Is this a quote from your daughter or from the guy she's dating? She may be confused or he may be generalizing. When people ask where I work, I say "Quantico", even though my actual desk isn't onboard Quantico.

Either way, if it smells like shit, it probably is shit. I agree with your plan of action; his employment at a public safety agency is easily verifiable by a phone call.
This is a quote from him, via my daughter. You're right, she could be and he may be. And, I hope it is one of those.

He's a likable guy but he does have a lot of "life stories" that sound fishy. If I can confirm he is, then I'll rest a little easier. If he isn't then I'll pass the info onto my daughter and she can decide what to do with it. (Trying really hard not to be an interfering parent )
Old 24 November 2019, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
When I am overseas and people ask where in America I am from, I just tell them, “close to Chicago” even though I am a 2 hour drive away. If I say Indiana, they all just give me blank looks.

To the OP, how old is he? Even in small departments probably not a Battalion Chief under 40 years old. All my furber Battalion Chiefs when I was a FF were the old guys in their 50s and even early 60s - (trying to avoid retirement lol). But usually the Battalion Chiefs are guys who have had probably at least 15 or more years on a Dept, usually 20 or more years.
Delighted to say I know where Indiana is - my husband is from there

He is 27. You could write what I know about FD policy/recruitment on a postage stamp but that was a flag to me.
Old 24 November 2019, 19:59
Been There Done That

No way is he a Battalion Chief at 27 years old of a decent size city department. Most states you have to be at least 21 years old to get on. Two year probationary period and to get Level II Certs/ fully vetted. So that would mean he is making Battalion Chief in three years? No. Maybe he is a fire fighter , but embellishing his role/credentials (to impress a young lady? ; )).

Sounds like you need to take him aside and have a private conversation... “look, you seem like a nice guy and my daughter seems to like you, but cut the bullshit and exaggeration, or you will lose her and my trust also and then your toast.”

Last edited by leopardprey; 24 November 2019 at 20:04.
Old 24 November 2019, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
No way is he a Battalion Chief at 27 years old of a decent size city department. Most states you have to be at least 21 years old to get on. Two year probationary period and to get Level II Certs/ fully vetted. So that would mean he is making Battalion Chief in three years? No. Maybe he is a fire fighter , but embellishing his role/credentials (to impress a young lady? ; )).

Sounds like you need to take him aside and have a private conversation... “look, you seem like a nice guy and my daughter seems to like you, but cut the bullshit and exaggeration, or you will lose her and my trust also and then your toast.”
Thank you, both for the information and the advice. Greatly appreciated.
Old 24 November 2019, 21:18
Confirmed User

.....there I was at 100 ft in the air when a strong wind hit the ladder and the truck started to tip side ways and....ohoh not the humor thread.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 26 November 2019, 18:42
Authorized Personnel

Any updates?
Old 27 November 2019, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Any updates?
A few:
When told I had friends up there who were possibly going to call in and meet him. He changed the station number he was based at to one further away. Then a few hours later he became confusing as to which station he was at ("some firefighters move around").

An hour or so ago a friend did call the latest station number he gave - they said they did not recognize the name. My daughter confronted him on this; his answer, "not all the volunteers know me". Not knowing how station shifts work, I don't know if that could be a possibility. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I believe anything that comes out of his mouth, just that I don't know if that particular situation is possible IF he is a volunteer FF).
Old 27 November 2019, 16:08
Find a way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre2 View Post
One such story is that he is a Battalion Chief for the Fire Department in Virginia Beach (with four or five other stations under his “command”).
This is far removed from where he started.

I think you know where this is headed.

-Michael Malice
Old 27 November 2019, 16:45
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
A few:
When told I had friends up there who were possibly going to call in and meet him. He changed the station number he was based at to one further away. Then a few hours later he became confusing as to which station he was at ("some firefighters move around").

An hour or so ago a friend did call the latest station number he gave - they said they did not recognize the name. My daughter confronted him on this; his answer, "not all the volunteers know me". Not knowing how station shifts work, I don't know if that could be a possibility. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I believe anything that comes out of his mouth, just that I don't know if that particular situation is possible IF he is a volunteer FF).
Wow. What does your daughter think? Having 2 daughters myself, I would supply her with this info and let her make up her own mind. Knowing my daughters, they probably would confront the guy and demand real answers.
My guess is the dude is a Volunteer Fireman and is embellishing BIG TIME to score brownie points. Just another poser Stealing Valor, IMHO.
Old 27 November 2019, 16:53
Find a way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
My guess is the dude is a Volunteer Fireman and is embellishing BIG TIME to score brownie points. Just another poser Stealing Valor, IMHO.
First he was a Battalion Chief for the Fire Department in Virginia Beach with five other stations under his command.

Then he's at another station further away. That place doesn't know who he is. So he definitely isn't very high in rank if he even works there at all.

The way this is deteriorating I won't be surprised when she learns the extent of his "firefighting career" is pulling his car over to let the firetruck pass.

-Michael Malice

Last edited by Steve83; 27 November 2019 at 16:59.
Old 27 November 2019, 19:22
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
My daughter confronted him on this;
That's a win right there.
Old 27 November 2019, 19:52
Been There Done That

Firefighters - cause even SEALs need to have Heroes.
Old 27 November 2019, 19:56
Shakin' the bush Boss

Virginia Beach isn't a particularly safe place to pretend to be a SEAL. That's why I never pretend to be a SEAL anywhere east of Richmond.
Old 1 December 2019, 02:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Virginia Beach isn't a particularly safe place to pretend to be a SEAL. That's why I never pretend to be a SEAL anywhere east of Richmond.
No bullshit, As a Marine stationed in San Diego where all the chicks hated Marines, I used to steal valor as a Coast Guardsman LMAO. When girls asked me what I did for a living I would just say "Have you ever seen 'The Guardian' with Ashton Kutcher and Kevin Costner?" Shit worked like a charm.

Our new posting rules