SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 3 August 2020, 21:35
Been There Done That

Itís a Handgun, not a Handsgun!

Even though of course I have done much Handgun shooting/training in my life, and much time instructing others, I still find myself and many others I train, to be more accurate when shooting with one hand.

At range today shooting my trifecta of .45s (cz97b, les Baer 1911, and Glock 21 gen 4). Now in the standard two handed hold, of course still hitting my targets and getting nice groups. But when I go one hand, tack driving right on top of each other dead center.

Also I train myself, and train many others, to shoot with strong hand only drills pretty extensively, as well as two handed holds. As in many real close combat/self defense situations you are going to shoot with just one hand. Other Hand is busy doing something else (holding dog leash, holding a tool, warding off an attack, etc). Especially if at very close ranges.

Now of course with two handed holds it aids recoil control a bit for those follow up shots, and/or switching to multiple targets.

Know back in the early body armor days was a pain to get a good triangle two handed stance, as body armor limited shoulder movement.

Kind of interesting in that Army doctrine use to be all one handed shooting up until the 1970s IIRC.
Old 3 August 2020, 21:51
FIDO

I grew up shooting bullseye with a .45 at Camp Perry. I agree, I can put rounds on target effectively with two hands but I have always shot better with one hand. And since I’ve shot that way for so long just feels more comfortable to me.
Old 3 August 2020, 22:08
Did...did I do that?

When I learned single-hand shooting at the academy in 92, they were just starting to teach rolling the arm inward a little. Not full-on gangster sideways, but maybe 10-15 degrees from vertical, supposedly to stiffen the arm up. Still valid?
Old 3 August 2020, 22:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
When I learned single-hand shooting at the academy in 92, they were just starting to teach rolling the arm inward a little. Not full-on gangster sideways, but maybe 10-15 degrees from vertical, supposedly to stiffen the arm up. Still valid?
If drawing and shooting “danger close” from the waste, like to turn the hand a bit outward, so as the slide does not hit your side /gut and cause a malfunction .
Old 3 August 2020, 22:29
Been There Done That

Love these old training videos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Hc2Fchu9s
Old 3 August 2020, 22:59
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Couple years back in a course I did, that was how they taught us to shoot one-handed with the off hand. But that was to bring the sights in line with my dominant eye better. Strong side was normal, even one handed.

Most of us are dicks, in case you haven't noticed. --MakoZeroSix
Old 4 August 2020, 06:52
Freelancer

I practice one handed all the time. A lot of times I'll switch hands between shots.
Old 4 August 2020, 09:15
I aim to misbehave

I was first taught to shoot a piston one handed, with body sideways to the target, so weapon held in right hand, extended to the right side of the body, and fired. Then I was taught to shoot in the weaver stance. Then I joined the military, which taught the isosceles stance, which I was never comfortable in, and never shot accurately from. These days, I tend to shoot from the modified weaver stance (start in a weaver stance, then turn the upper body at the hips to put the trauma plate squarely between shooter and target). I still practice one handed as well, with both strong and weak hand. Since I no longer have body armor, I've been thinking of shifting my "regular" shooting from modified weaver back to a traditional weaver stance.

While true:
Continue
Old 4 August 2020, 10:05
BTDT

As a Cowboy Action Shooter, I compete in the "Gunfighter" category so I shoot with a single action revolver in each hand...
...does using both hands mean I am shooting handsguns
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 4 August 2020, 16:28
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

I was at a course where we all shooting G17’s. After a qual we started at the 50m on steel C zone IDPA. Everyone had three chances. Normal, strong hand, support hand, then you were out. After every round we moved back 25m and repeated the course of fire. I was pinging support hand starting at 100m and back. A SEAL and I were the last guys standing but both went out at about 175m to tie. All my long hits were support hand. I sure wasn’t fast but I’ll be damned if I can’t rock some support hand.

You have to concentrate single handed, that trigger control really starts to matter. When I get to the range I start at 3-5m, 2-3” dots. 7 rds normal, 7 strong hand, 7 support hand, and 7 lefty, then move back.

I work with a former FAM who can run a gun. They teach a bent elbow and bringing the gun more centerline. It can work well with just a little practice.
Old 5 August 2020, 12:06
Been There Done That

I think of it in terms of workspace and stance. I'm not going to train in an Olympic pistol shooting "precision position' if I'm training for gun-fighting.

I want my legs in a position to move, my hands in front where I can keep an eye on them with peripheral vision and in a place where I can defend or fight with either hand; my workspace. Isosceles allows for this and works either week-hand, strong or two handed. I always thought that training all three was the standard.

Just my $.02
Old 5 August 2020, 20:04

Anyone know when the term “handgun” came into use? I like pistol myself, as it does not determine how many appendages must be employed.
Old 6 August 2020, 16:48
Authorized Personnel

So by this logic, should I call it a "teethbrush"?

Old 8 August 2020, 07:31
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Anyone know when the term ďhandgunĒ came into use? I like pistol myself, as it does not determine how many appendages must be employed.
Someone is woke.
Old 8 August 2020, 20:17

Indeed you should, as you are in Virginia. Now, if you crossed your western border the singular is more likely to be apropos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
So by this logic, should I call it a "teethbrush"?

Old 8 August 2020, 20:36
Shakin' the bush Boss

Teefus akimbo.
Old 9 August 2020, 13:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Indeed you should, as you are in Virginia. Now, if you crossed your western border the singular is more likely to be apropos.
I was in WV a few weeks ago and was very surprised to see how cheap toothbrushes were there.

Our new posting rules