SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 9 February 2019, 13:55
Been There Done That

Best deals for Vets on Cellular

So Iím in the market for a new carrier and phone.

Iím still grappling with the fact that I think iOS is superior to Android in just about every way, but my Pixel 3 bests my iPhone X in every way.

So now the conundrum:

Iím considering outright buying a Pixel 3 thanks to a discount available to me that makes it very attractive. Thinking about switching to Fi as a carrier as well.

Am I missing any great deals from the traditional carriers? T-mobile appears to have a great veterans program.

Also, what about StraightTalk etc? I know Poly used to swear by it.

Letís hear some thoughts from you guys!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 9 February 2019, 13:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
So Iím in the market for a new carrier and phone.

Iím still grappling with the fact that I think iOS is superior to Android in just about every way, but my Pixel 3 bests my iPhone X in every way.

So now the conundrum:

Iím considering outright buying a Pixel 3 thanks to a discount available to me that makes it very attractive. Thinking about switching to Fi as a carrier as well.

Am I missing any great deals from the traditional carriers? T-mobile appears to have a great veterans program.

Also, what about StraightTalk etc? I know Poly used to swear by it.

Letís hear some thoughts from you guys!

Do you have cable/satellite or home internet? If so, with who?

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 9 February 2019, 14:12
Did...did I do that?

We've been with TMobile for 7-ish years now, and love it. Signed up for the Veterans program the week it came out. Reduced our bill a bit, but we gained unlimited data for everyone, which was huge with the size of our family. Plus the TMobile Tuesdays freebies are pretty cool. I scored a year of Pandora Premium for free a couple of months ago.
Old 9 February 2019, 14:18
The Sagacious One

I know the big carriers are expensive, but Verizon just implemented a new data and talk plan where you get access to your monthly CONUS plan while OCONUS for only $10. I am using it now and it makes things much easier. FWIW, I know iOS users that are tired of the Apple dictatorship, erroneous charges etc and are switching to android.

Can Apple really add anything to the iPHONE platform?

I am not gay, so I don't use iOS.

I think what it comes down to is what do you actually need to do with your phone. The last few years, I use my phone more than my laptop (I do work on a desktop in the office). This leads to your data requirements which is the main difference in most plans. Unlimited is not unlimited and every carrier has their own definition.

Bonne Chance Mein Amigo. I am interested in seeing what materializes from this thread.
Old 9 February 2019, 14:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am not gay, so I don't use iOS.
What he said!

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 9 February 2019, 15:12
Confirmed User

Best deals For Vets On Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
...Am I missing any great deals from the traditional carriers?...Also, what about StraightTalk etc? I know Poly used to swear by it...
There is no "one size fits call" answer for this question. It depends on a few different factors. A few that come to mind are:

-How Many Lines Are You Looking For?

-How Much Data Are You Looking For?

-What Is/Are The Most Important Thing(s) To You? (Price, Coverage Or Something Else?)

I was on Nextel years ago, then went T-Mobile, AT&T, pure Verizon and now Total Wireless (which is a Verizon MVNO). We also own our own phones. I really feel like having a universal, unlocked smartphone makes a lot of sense.

I have four lines on Total Wireless for $95 per month. That is unlimited talk, text and 25 GB of data.

If I was in an area where AT&T was king, I would look long and hard at Cricket Wireless, which is an AT&T MVNO.

Since AT&T was awarded the government contract for FirstNet, they should continue to grow in coverage. However, if you are in an area now, or frequent one, that doesn't have AT&T coverage currently, then its all academic and you need Verizon or a Verizon MVNO.

Howard Forums is my "go to" place for phone questions. There is a lot of information there and some of it is even good! The challenge will be separating the bullshit information from the legitimate information.

There are some pretty good websites that help you select a carrier and plan.

https://www.howardforums.com/forum.php

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Mobile-Verizon

Last edited by Jim1348; 9 February 2019 at 15:20.
Old 10 February 2019, 00:34

I have ATT unlimited and more premium. Unlimited talk and text and data in US Canada and Mexico. Unlimited data can be throttled after 22gb a month. I’ve gone over 22 gb in multiple months and haven’t noticed the throttling.

Costs $48 per line plus $30 to connect device plus all the taxes and fees. If you opt for paperless billing and autopay it will knock $15 off your bill. ATT also offers 25% military discount. With all applicable discounts to include military my bill is $68 and some change a month for ATT’s highest unlimited.

They also give you mobile hotspot of another 15gb a month on top of the 22gb with the plan which is great to hook up the laptop to when there is not any WiFi. Also get a choice of premium channel for ATT’s watch tv app. Nice option to be able to browse HBO, Showtime, etc..
Old 10 February 2019, 06:52
BTDT

Still on StraightTalk, never bothered to shop around (which you can do with a Google Voice number) - still about $43/Month for (I think) 10Gigs LTE, throttled after that. I never even come close. Unless there is some AMAZING Veterans deal from a major carrier post-paid, I can see no reason to ever use a major carrier for anything other than tower access through an MVNO. If you have a business, you can deduct X% of the business use of the plan.

Edit: Thanks for bringing this up - I just dug a little bit - check out Mint (Uses T-Mobile Towers):

https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/

https://www.mintmobile.com/product/1...sim-card-plan/

Last edited by Polypro; 10 February 2019 at 07:14.
Old 10 February 2019, 07:25
Been There Done That

My local cable company has a flat rate unlimited data & calls deal and no contract for under $50/month...with only a single line. No other fees of credit check if you bring your own unlocked phone.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 11 February 2019, 00:27
Been There Done That

I have a Pixel 3 on Google Fi. Works great, and I’ve never paid more than about $50 a month, even when International. Service has been great in the US, Germany, France, and Tunisia. Sicily is supposed to have Fi, but I couldn’t get a signal. Taking it to Africa soon, so we shall see if there’s anything there.

Last edited by Rotor Strike please; 11 February 2019 at 00:33.
Old 11 February 2019, 03:49
Been There Done That

Gentlemen, thank you for the great input. This is why SOCNET continues to keep us all hooked!

So to answer some questions:

I'm carrier-agnostic.
I've had Verizon, ATT, and Cingular back in the day.
Had D1 T-Mobile and D2 in Germany.

At this stage, I find most carriers to all claim to be something special...but they all deliver the same mediocre customer service when pressed, and besides locking clients into multiyear deals don't offer much that differentiates.

My location is tech epicenter of the west coast, so coverage on all networks is good and there are very few spots where we get other than LTE.

Google's Fi seems compelling because of the travel component and I'm only charged for data I use. Has anyone besides RSP used it before? Or is currently using it?

Old 11 February 2019, 03:53
Been There Done That

As for the iPhone X(?) vs Pixel 3.

I've been issued a P3 a few months ago and I like it. Thought it was a huge improvement over the P2XL I had been issued before that. All of my work requires G-Suite, so that's handy.

On my personal side, I use my phone primarily for non-work stuff. I like Spotify, Waze/Maps, Yelp, Audible, Signal etc. Nothing too heavy. I've owned iPhones since the first generation came out. What I do not like up my iphone X is the battery life. The P3's battery life has really impressed me but I'm reluctant to get away from the seamless cloud integration I get on iCloud.

There's absolutely no way someone will get me to give up my MBP for a Chromebook, so integration-wise it may pose a slight obstacle. Still working through that piece.

Old 11 February 2019, 06:34
Confirmed User

Glad I got on this thread. I pay 143 a month through Sprint, 2 phones unlimited data,calls, texts etc etc..
I may have to look at the one polypro recommends. As long as tower coverage is good, my daughter will be happy.
She uses Wifi whenever in homes..
Old 11 February 2019, 11:35
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Glad I got on this thread. I pay 143 a month through Sprint, 2 phones unlimited data,calls, texts etc etc..
I may have to look at the one polypro recommends. As long as tower coverage is good, my daughter will be happy.
She uses Wifi whenever in homes..

You can get a Mint SIM Kit with like 10 Minutes of "Test Time" on it, for about $5 on Amazon - to test coverage. I haven't tried it yet, just passing along what Michael Buzzel from the 'Complete Privacy and Security Podcast' recommends.

One thing I will say about sticking with Apple - 'My Sudo' currently only works with iOS (Android is supposed to be coming). If you want separate "burner" numbers for stuff - they are the best.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever - use the SIM phone number for anything - get at least 1 VOIP number and always use that. Google Voice is a good one because they accept SMS "Short Codes" if you need stuff like 2 Factor Auth and your vendor only does SMS and not Yubikey/Authy/Google Authenticator, etc... Even MB has a Google Voice number for that reason.

SIM Swapping is big now - someone having your actual SIM phone number is a HUGE target. Can't SIM Swap with a VOIP number.
Old 11 February 2019, 13:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
You can get a Mint SIM Kit with like 10 Minutes of "Test Time" on it, for about $5 on Amazon - to test coverage. I haven't tried it yet, just passing along what Michael Buzzel from the 'Complete Privacy and Security Podcast' recommends.

One thing I will say about sticking with Apple - 'My Sudo' currently only works with iOS (Android is supposed to be coming). If you want separate "burner" numbers for stuff - they are the best.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever - use the SIM phone number for anything - get at least 1 VOIP number and always use that. Google Voice is a good one because they accept SMS "Short Codes" if you need stuff like 2 Factor Auth and your vendor only does SMS and not Yubikey/Authy/Google Authenticator, etc... Even MB has a Google Voice number for that reason.

SIM Swapping is big now - someone having your actual SIM phone number is a HUGE target. Can't SIM Swap with a VOIP number.
I will try the Mint thing.. I am so far behind on the phone tech stuff.. way behind.

Our new posting rules