SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 21 May 2009, 12:02
Been There Done That

This seems way fishy to me, am I crazy?

I recently answered an ad on Craigslist for a bodyguard position and received a response within 10 minutes that read as such. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Hello,
Thanks for your response and I am glad to read from you as regards the security Job, I am Johnson by name and I work in an oil company,the main purpose of my post is that I need you for my Son's security/bodyguard for the short period that he will be spending in a convention that will be held on the 5th and 6th of June.I need you for that short period of time and I believe you are capable of doing this job. More so, Your job is for you to secure my son and make him happy because I will not be around for that period.He is not under any serious danger as such,I only want someone around him for the fact that he is young and can't really care for himself. All necessary items will be provided for you and I will also care for you as well, I will be very glad if you can be my son's bodyguard due to your experience.The conventionwith be in Omaha city Nebraska.
My son is 11 yrs old and he is presently in South Africa.His name is Roy Maniche.I will be coming back by middle of next month.You shall have someone to meet you on my behalf on the day your service shall commence. The convention will hold in Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha city, Nebraska.My accountant will be sending a payment that will cover your upfront salary and his expenses(Flight ticket, accommodation and other expenses) while he is with you at the conference in that state.

So the following information will be needed.
Full name:
Address: (Not Post office Address)
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Mobile phone number:

Due to the fact that I will be contacting my account to send you paycheck for the flight and your payment fees, so I will be offering you $950 for the job apart from the flight ticket fee and i will be booking the flight and hotel reservation for both of you.Please get back to me with all necessary details as I will looking forward to hearing from you ASAP

Johnson Maniche.

It seems way too formatted and choppy. I just want a second or as many as want opinion.

Thanks
Virgil Out

me 26FEB20133538PST
Old 21 May 2009, 12:18
Been There Done That

sounds like he's gonna send you the money for the ticket and hotel also, you'll have to cash it, pay for those things out of that money??

That doesn't sound right.
Old 21 May 2009, 12:21
Been There Done That

VT: PM sent.
Old 21 May 2009, 12:21
Been There Done That

Steer clear. This has Nigeria written all over it.
Old 21 May 2009, 12:36
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad275
I was thinking the exact same thing. But so far -- SO FAR -- the dude hasn't elicited banking info.

I don't mind clients having my phone or company address -- hell, that is found on my website, or letterhead -- but still, I just can't get past this looking an awful lot like a Nigerian scheme....
Old 21 May 2009, 12:51
Rest In Peace

Either that or some organ harvesters will be paying him a visit at the hotel when he is asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad275 View Post
Old 21 May 2009, 13:00
Authorized Personnel

Sounds like a typical check over payment scam with a little custom work done. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/12/checkoverpayment.shtm

If I were a betting man, here is how I think this will play out:

After you respond, he'll write back and say that something has changed and he can't book the ticket for you from outside the US so he wants you to book your own ticket and travel.

Since he doesn't know how much the travel will cost, he will offer to send you a cashier's check or money order to cover the expenses of your labor, services, travel, etc. He will ask you to send back the excess amount via western union or something similar.

Once you cash the check and send him the left over money you will find out that the check was bogus and you are on the hook for the full amount.

If you are bored... string him along. Get him to send you the check. Tell him you cashed it and you are waiting for it to clear. Or tell him you cahed the check and you decided that you don't want to work for him but thank him for the generous bonus.

Last edited by GackMan; 21 May 2009 at 13:02.
Old 21 May 2009, 13:07
Been There Done That

Thanks for the responses. I thought it was a tad off and just wanted more eyes on it. I had seen someone use the exact same format one other time for name, address etc... and it rung that bell. So watch out if you are using Craigslist for employment searches.

Virgil Out

me 26FEB20133538PST
Old 21 May 2009, 13:42

Quote:
The convention will hold in Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha city, Nebraska.
I am from the Omaha area and have been to the gardens a couple of times. Nice place but not a site for conventions.
Old 21 May 2009, 14:17
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. But so far -- SO FAR -- the dude hasn't elicited banking info.
He doesn't have to, for an overpayment scheme. Virgil receives a bad check. Virgil deposits bad check. In the meanwhile, before Virgil's bank realizes said check is bad, Virgil pays a couple thousand dollars to a hotel and airline for service for client. Client obtains a refund for ticket and hotel, to a seperate account. Bank notifies Virgil that check is bad, and removes deposited cash from Virgil's account. Virgil has now been ripped off of the total of money outlaid.

Don't do it.
Old 21 May 2009, 14:57
Been There Done That

I have no intention of doing it. Not a bit. Just good for everyone to see.

me 26FEB20133538PST
Old 21 May 2009, 17:37
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Tibbs View Post
I recently answered an ad on Craigslist for a bodyguard position and received a response within 10 minutes that read as such. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Hello,
Thanks for your response and I am glad to read from you as regards the security Job, I am Johnson by name and I work in an oil company,the main purpose of my post is that I need you for my Son's security/bodyguard for the short period that he will be spending in a convention that will be held on the 5th and 6th of June.I need you for that short period of time and I believe you are capable of doing this job. More so, Your job is for you to secure my son and make him happy because I will not be around for that period.He is not under any serious danger as such,I only want someone around him for the fact that he is young and can't really care for himself. All necessary items will be provided for you and I will also care for you as well, I will be very glad if you can be my son's bodyguard due to your experience.The conventionwith be in Omaha city Nebraska.
My son is 11 yrs old and he is presently in South Africa.His name is Roy Maniche.I will be coming back by middle of next month.You shall have someone to meet you on my behalf on the day your service shall commence. The convention will hold in Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha city, Nebraska.My accountant will be sending a payment that will cover your upfront salary and his expenses(Flight ticket, accommodation and other expenses) while he is with you at the conference in that state.

So the following information will be needed.
Full name:
Address: (Not Post office Address)
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Mobile phone number:

Due to the fact that I will be contacting my account to send you paycheck for the flight and your payment fees, so I will be offering you $950 for the job apart from the flight ticket fee and i will be booking the flight and hotel reservation for both of you.Please get back to me with all necessary details as I will looking forward to hearing from you ASAP

Johnson Maniche.

It seems way too formatted and choppy. I just want a second or as many as want opinion.

Thanks
Virgil Out
TWO WORDS - "NIGERIAN SCAM!!!!!!!
Old 21 May 2009, 18:20
Confirmed User

419 from the start, buddy of mine did not listen and received his payment up front when he cashed a bad check, still paying for it..
Old 21 May 2009, 21:04
Administrator

I'd ask the experts at http://www.419eater.com/
Old 21 May 2009, 21:31
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
sounds like he's gonna send you the money for the ticket and hotel also, you'll have to cash it, pay for those things out of that money??

That doesn't sound right.
The cashiers check will be for more money that the gig and he will ask you to give it to the kid. After you give the kid the money, the Dad will show up and thank you, pay you and then the cashiers check will come back counterfeit.
Old 22 May 2009, 00:08
"We're all bad in someone's story...."

I'm sorry however, I DELETE 99% of any thing that has "Africa" in it....

Stay safe.

Dave Chappelle
Old 22 May 2009, 00:44
Authorized Personnel

GackMan hit it, happened to me at my business, we got the cashiers check but give it to the bank. The guy then threatened us for the money.....lol, we told him to come to our place to pick it up, he never showed.
Old 22 May 2009, 07:07
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy
I'm sorry however, I DELETE 99% of any thing that has "Africa" in it....
Dude, thanks for saying what I was worried would be too non-PC to state (and I'm referring to not trusting A LOT of white Africans, as well)....
Old 22 May 2009, 08:08
Confirmed User

Virgil that name is not a South African name. Sounds more like a Nigerian name to me. Ask him for a phone number and I will call him , if he is here in SA , and meet him to check him out for you .

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those that have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, care for nothing else thereafter.
Old 22 May 2009, 10:48
Been There Done That

I can, but I was just going to blow it off. His number is attached to the posting.

BODYGUARD NEEDED URGENTLY (SF Bay Area)
Reply to:see below
Date: 2009-05-21, 4:57AM PDT

I am looking to hire a bodyguard for a short tern base for my 11 year old son,skilled or unskilled bodyguard. Anyone interested should pls contact me ASAP via email johnson_maniche@yahoo.com or call me on 2035991894

* Compensation: 950
* This is a part-time job.
* OK for recruiters to contact this job poster.
* Phone calls about this job are ok.
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID: 1181610087

Here is the ad for anyone who wants to have some fun.

Virgil Out

me 26FEB20133538PST

Our new posting rules