SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews > SOCNET Authors

Old 22 November 2008, 06:28
Legal Immigrant

Getting a magazine published?

Not sure if this is the right area, so please feel free to move it.

I have been "publishing" an online magazine (e-zine) for 12 months now, with subscribers and advertisers becoming more and more interested. I started with the intent to see how it looked in 12 months before I continued with the "project".

I'm about to hit 12 months, and unless something MAJOR occurs, I'll continue with it.

But, I'm at a slight crossroads.

Should I continue with the magazine as an online publication, which in this day and age of internet usage may seem a good idea, or, should I have the magazine published as a hardcopy for sale in Newsagencies?

I have tried to contact a few (read - a LOT!) magazine publishers to get information from them as to their requirements / costs etc, but not one of them has bothered to get back to me, apart from, "We'll get back to you."

So....what should I do?

- Stick with the online publishing..which is probably easier for me with less overheads, and the ability to link websites etc direct to the magazine.

- Kick in the front door of a magazine publisher and hold them hostage until they answer my basic questions?

FYI - The focus of the mag is Policing / Law Enforcement in Australia. Something that has no other non-Government publication in existence.

Thanks in advance...

NF - Editor.
Old 22 November 2008, 06:36
Greenhat
Visitor

Making a profit with a magazine is one of the most difficult things to do. You have to have sufficient advertising to pay for it, and you have to make the deadlines... no matter what.
Old 22 November 2008, 06:41
Administrator

I think your best bet is to stay with the ezine. I agree with GH. In addition to what he said, your overhead will go through the roof.

Can you PM me a link?

I'd like to check it out.

Thanks
Old 22 November 2008, 08:27

NF, since I retired, one of my activities has been working as a rep and writer for a regional magazine. The pub has been in business for nearly 20 years and is a local favorite. The owner editor is a very good guy and will be happy to answer all your questions, I'm sure.

PM me for name and addy.

I can tell you this: things are very tough for the biz right now and it's not the time to jump in. Our advertisers are not paying their bills and are basically hiding under rocks.
Old 22 November 2008, 19:46
Legal Immigrant

Thanks guys. Mike, you're still alive?!

Re: Profit. I'd be happy to just break even. I already have a very good relationship with a couple of Aussie companies, and we communicate regularly, so even without contacting bigger companies, the "breaking even" need would be met, if I stay with the e-zine.

"Breaking even" would be easier overall if I have less overheads, which would point to staying with the e-zine. Making a profit would be easier if I have less overheads...so again...e-zine.

Making a profit would be a bonus, but to confess, I'm a bit of a crusader when it comes to Policing in this nation. I didn't start this to make money. There's a SEVERE lack of information out there for Police in Australia, or even for the public, about tactics, equipment, training, or any other job-related ideas. Information sharing is actually frowned upon by Australian agencies who keep espousing "world's best practice" and "world's most modern Police" etc etc *vomit*. It's like they don't want their lies to be found out.

But enough about that. I can feel my crusading blood starting to boil....

I guess I just wanted to get people's opinions on something that already seemed obvious to me.

SB - Link enroute....
Old 22 November 2008, 20:07

Copy all. Yeah, still alive. Bored to shit having to hob-nob with sheeple most days. Getting old and un-tactical is a bitch.

Anyways, looked at your website today which I think looks very professional and well done. Someone who might also be of assist to you is our common friend FB in MD, USA. he's now editor-in-chief at Officer.com since last Dec.

In the meantime, get on www.pleasantlivingmagazine.com and chat with the Editor there. One thing I will tell you and I don't know how this equates in Aussie $$$ but our black and white slick mag runs $1000 a page to print here. We do 10K to 11K press run bi-monthly. An interesting note to tuck away is that we also have a small press at www.brandylanepublishers.com. We publish many different genres.

Well, good luck with it!
Old 22 November 2008, 20:15
Legal Immigrant

Thanks Mike, will check it out.

FB and I chatted a fair bit when I was starting the e-zine. He was a lot of help, which is to be expected.

Our new posting rules