SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 6 October 2015, 16:48
Been There Done That

Forged in Fire

Really liking this competition/reality TV Show. If you are into knives, you will like this show. Each episode pits 4 blade-smiths against each other, racing against the clock to hand forge a blade.

Available on I tune. From the History Channel. Show is well done IMHO and worth viewing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 October 2015, 16:54
Authorized Personnel

I have been watching it since it started and was able to watch its marathon series the other day. I enjoy it and am amazed to see the amount of work they are able to achieve in such a short amount of time using the materials they are given to work with.

A lot of their final work is nice for a weeks worth of time.
Old 6 October 2015, 17:41
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Really liking this competition/reality TV Show. If you are into knives, you will like this show. Each episode pits 4 blade-smiths against each other, racing against the clock to hand forge a blade.

Available on I tune. From the History Channel. Show is well done IMHO and worth viewing.
I haven't seen the show, don't watch TV. Is Bill Harsey one of the featured knife makers?
Old 6 October 2015, 20:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
I haven't seen the show, don't watch TV. Is Bill Harsey one of the featured knife makers?
No, he's not. Most of the makers featured aren't well known.
Old 7 October 2015, 03:58
Confirmed User

It did well enough they are already shooting season 2. 6 hours to completely finish a knife is a joke, but makes for somewhat entertaining tv.
Old 7 October 2015, 08:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
It did well enough they are already shooting season 2. 6 hours to completely finish a knife is a joke, but makes for somewhat entertaining tv.
Well that is the whole point of the show is it not? Put the 4 contestants under stress, give them some unique materials and specifications, and have them hand forge a knife from scratch in this minimal amount of time that will chop and cut, not break, and look good.

Impressed with some of the innovations some of the makers come up with. And how some handle pressure and stress. Really shows how a proper forge and heat treatment is necessary, and can be the breaking point.

I like the practical test they put the knives through - cutting coconuts, chopping bamboo and cow femurs, slashing ballistic gel, etc.

Old 7 October 2015, 09:46
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor Strike please View Post
No, he's not. Most of the makers featured aren't well known.
Bill is a good man.
Old 7 October 2015, 11:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Bill is a good man.
Yes, he is. I'm a casual acquaintance, but he's always been good to me.
Old 7 October 2015, 13:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well that is the whole point of the show is it not? Put the 4 contestants under stress, give them some unique materials and specifications, and have them hand forge a knife from scratch in this minimal amount of time that will chop and cut, not break, and look good.

Impressed with some of the innovations some of the makers come up with. And how some handle pressure and stress. Really shows how a proper forge and heat treatment is necessary, and can be the breaking point.

I like the practical test they put the knives through - cutting coconuts, chopping bamboo and cow femurs, slashing ballistic gel, etc.
Yep. I'm just surprised they are already filming season 2. They finished filming season 1 in june. Seems fast to me that less than 5 months later season 2 is being filmed. Is that normal?

As to the forges, and heat treatment they were nearly non-existent for the show. I know no one on the show except for the final episode that had time to normalize their blades, or triple quench. Some forges had problems with the gas regulators and what they were set at is what you were stuck with.

I normally take several hours to normalize and heat treat with salt pots.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I'm curious what they will have them do in season 2. They wanted armour makers as well for season 2.
Old 7 October 2015, 20:17
Been There Done That

I think what would be interesting is to have the 8 winners, from the 8 episodes, have a finale competition.

The Filipino's homemade forge in episode 3, making the Viking battle axe, was pretty awesome. LMAO.

Old 28 July 2016, 10:45
Been There Done That

Watching second season right now. Just finished the Khukri episode.

Love this TV show!

Old 28 July 2016, 13:21
Doc McNasty

I like the episodes I've seen; very impressed with the unique materials aspect, as well as the abbreviated time for each phase of development. The judges and judging process, however, are not exactly selling the show for me. The "tests" seem fairly random, and a little redonkulous at times (the "3 coconut" test wtf?). I think they added Wil Willis for some level of .mil TV experience, and Marcaida grates me with the "Eet will keel" pronouncement, altho I know he is a respected blade designer.

Still enjoy it for the work those guys put out.
Old 28 July 2016, 13:27
Been There Done That

I like the show. But, like Sarc, I could do without Marcaida and his swishy blade-ballet moves and contrived tag-lines. I like seeing the work, the successes, and just as importantly-- The failures. I forge for fun, so it's also educational for me. There's NO WAY I could turn out a decent finished product in the time allotted to the contestants, so my thoughts always run along the lines of "how would I shortcut the process in that situation?"

Have you seen J. Neilsen's knives? Wow. http://www.mountainhollow.net/knife-bowie.php I like his Bowies especially.
Old 28 July 2016, 13:29
Darwin Award Presenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
I like the episodes I've seen; very impressed with the unique materials aspect, as well as the abbreviated time for each phase of development. The judges and judging process, however, are not exactly selling the show for me. The "tests" seem fairly random, and a little redonkulous at times (the "3 coconut" test wtf?). I think they added Wil Willis for some level of .mil TV experience, and Marcaida grates me with the "Eet will keel" pronouncement, altho I know he is a respected blade designer.

Agreed, entertaining and as a knife lover I had no idea how important the heat treat is, or that you could lose everything at that point if done incorrectly. Some of the tests, though......

A knife is a knife
An Axe is an Axe
To expect interchangebility of the two with acceptable results?

And with regard to Doug Marcaida, I have attempted to watch his training videos, but way too fast for these old eyes to follow.
Old 28 July 2016, 13:46
Been There Done That

I really like it when the final two head back home, and you get to see their home forge/worshop's set up. Nice to see a couple of female knifemakers/forgers in this second season as well.

Old 28 July 2016, 13:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post

I actually like the tests. Spoiler Alert:

. Like in the Khukri episode, where the tests were trying to puncture a steel drum and then slicing open a bag, then chopping sugar cane and hacking through slabs of meat/pig carcasses. Those are the types of tests I like to see blades go through, as the type of work a blade might actually do and shows the strength/sharpness of the blade.

Old 28 July 2016, 15:10
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

It sounds kind of like a knife making version of Iron Chef.
Old 29 July 2016, 03:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
I like the show. But, like Sarc, I could do without Marcaida and his swishy blade-ballet moves and contrived tag-lines. I like seeing the work, the successes, and just as importantly-- The failures. I forge for fun, so it's also educational for me. There's NO WAY I could turn out a decent finished product in the time allotted to the contestants, so my thoughts always run along the lines of "how would I shortcut the process in that situation?"

Have you seen J. Neilsen's knives? Wow. http://www.mountainhollow.net/knife-bowie.php I like his Bowies especially.
No one turns out a decent finished product on that show. No one can with that timeline. JD Smith has made some really awesome stuff and he made an ugly knife. Kyle Gahagan makes beautiful work as well and he got eliminated quickly because he had to start with a bad previously failed knife. The goal their is not to make a good or even a decent knife but to finish in the allotted time.

The hardest part was using their tools. The belts were already worn down and were aluminum oxide instead of ceramic. The drill bits were bent. The drill press came apart and had to be fixed. Some of the crew were taking the handles off the vises. Some of the forges had the gas regulators broke so you couldn't adjust the temps. On and on.

Next season will have Jason Knight replacing J. Neilsen who had surgery on his hand. Some of the guys from the first two seasons will be back on it.
Old 29 July 2016, 03:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
It sounds kind of like a knife making version of Iron Chef.
It was patterned after chopped.
Old 29 July 2016, 04:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
Agreed, entertaining and as a knife lover I had no idea how important the heat treat is, or that you could lose everything at that point if done incorrectly. Some of the tests, though......

A knife is a knife
An Axe is an Axe
To expect interchangebility of the two with acceptable results?

And with regard to Doug Marcaida, I have attempted to watch his training videos, but way too fast for these old eyes to follow.
Heat treating and time at temperature when forging is everything. The rest is just rough shaping and making it pretty.

That's why I tell newbies to send their blades to peters heat treating to have it done right until they can afford to spend big bucks on their own professional heat treating equipment.

Katana making with the traditional sword quench is always a sphincter tightening ordeal that destroys more blades than it creates. Never get attached to blade you plan on heat treating that way until it survives it's baptism.

Watch this Katana bend down then up during quenching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTKVLZlM8Q

Our new posting rules