SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Air Force Special Operations > Pararescue (PJs)

Old 28 May 2013, 13:36
REMF

One of my friend's sons just started CCT Selection bright and early this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed for him.
Old 28 May 2013, 14:15
Been There Done That

Pararescue has a slightly different recruiting, selecting and training philosophy history, as it has essentially been a military career classification since Specification Serial Number (SSN) 3383P was requested and activated as a new military classification during 1947. SSN was the Army Classification system used until the Military Occupation Specialty (MOS) codes replaced SSNs in 1950. Within the Air Force, the WWII era SSNs were transformed to Air Force Specificity Codes (AFSC).

The context emphasis is “career occupation” vs unit duty assignment oriented. Career occupation means the person holds the military occupation classification (MOS/AFSC/RATE/NEC) for duration of career and is promoted and assigned based on this.

The demarcation influences is most clearly seen in the US Army’s 75th Ranger Regiment where there is no unique or specific career ranger MOS. The demarcation is less clearly seen in the US Army’s Special Forces groups where several 18 series MOSs comprise the Special Forces career occupations. It should be noted the Special Forces MOS series were established October 1, 1984 and the Special Forces Branch was established on April 9, 1987.

The emphasis on “career occupation” is to give an opposing perspective to “My toughts on this are that you either prepare before-hand or you are one of the VERY lucky few that can pull this off free-style”. The Pararescue Indoctrination Course has always had training philosophy, training goals, and training objectives to train 100% of the typical 18 year old high school graduate. The fitness standards are if comparable to the 1955 Boy Scout Fitness merit badge standards. The philosophy is if given such a recruit this person can be trained to fitness standards within eight weeks. The bulk of student attrition has always been voluntary self-initiated elimination. Very few are failed to train eliminated and even less are medical disqualification eliminated. The Paramedic training is tough academically, but most eliminations are behavioral (family distractions/want an easier chair force job) caused and not because the academics were beyond the students ability to master.

The only luck required is the getting one of the few GTEP enlistment contract and getting the training reservation to be directed to report to BMT. The ASVAB test scores (AFQT, MAGE aptitude areas), PAST, and medical examinations already has screened the person as having the ability necessary to get through the training before reporting to BMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoad64 View Post
. We still have quitters after they earn their three level in the CCT pipeline.. at prescuba mainly.
Yep, they got issued their beret and got it in their resume collection and go onto to an easier job with I’m elite attitude, you got to love me, promote me, and spoil me (I’m being sarcastic). If CCT revoked award of parachutist badges, revoked award of the 3-skill level CCT AFSC from them, administratively demoted them AB, and separate them out of Air Force with a general administrative discharge with DD-214 reflecting demotion and revoking of awarded AFSC from the I quit 3-levels I’m sure less would quit as knowing the consequences these 3-level quitters would stay home with their mommy to begin with.
Old 28 May 2013, 18:23
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
Yep, they got issued their beret and got it in their resume collection and go onto to an easier job with Iím elite attitude, you got to love me, promote me, and spoil me (Iím being sarcastic). If CCT revoked award of parachutist badges, revoked award of the 3-skill level CCT AFSC from them, administratively demoted them AB, and separate them out of Air Force with a general administrative discharge with DD-214 reflecting demotion and revoking of awarded AFSC from the I quit 3-levels Iím sure less would quit as knowing the consequences these 3-level quitters would stay home with their mommy to begin with.
IIRC they get to be Air Traffic Controllers, so that 3 level won't carry them far. Especially considering the folks in the tower probably went through Keesler with them.
Old 25 July 2013, 16:33
Authorized Personnel

I found PJ/CCT washouts to make EXCELLENT TACP Students!

Some of the best Students I trained over the years started out in the PJ/CCT pipeline. I found them for the most part to be highly motivated, physically capable and "remorseful" for having quit PJ/CCT, hence, they had "Learned" a lesson, and would embrace the suck much more whole heartedly than you average BMT grad.

The washout rate remains high because PJs fight HARD to keep the standards high (as well they should) because not everyone packs the gear to be a PJ.

but DAMN they are fun to hang around with!

HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 25 July 2013, 21:30
Been There Done That

Hotmike....you are the epitome of humble...Very rare to see that.... TACP's do ROCK the mic to bring the pain to the muslims....er enemy!
Old 26 July 2013, 09:31
Authorized Personnel

Humble has never been used to describe me before (Hence the Callsign) but I'll take it!

When you get a chance to work with REAL DEAL Pros from Dover, and they do the Lords work precisely and efficiently...

You gotta feel humbled.

My short stint as an STS/CCF introduced me to a new level of "Awesome"...

and the eight funerals I've attended since retirement keep me in that mindset.
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 26 July 2013, 23:17
Confirmed User

Ok guys, after reading the thread I'm now confused a bit.

I understand all PJ's are dive-qualified. Are all CCT's dive-qualified? Was there a time when CCT were not dive-qualified, like in the 80's? I recall meeting a few back then living in Fayetteville. I was under the impression they were not, but that was a long time ago.

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"
Old 27 July 2013, 15:41
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS Guy View Post
Ok guys, after reading the thread I'm now confused a bit.

I understand all PJ's are dive-qualified. Are all CCT's dive-qualified? Was there a time when CCT were not dive-qualified, like in the 80's? I recall meeting a few back then living in Fayetteville. I was under the impression they were not, but that was a long time ago.
Yes. IIRC The Pope CCT was a HALO Team and the Charleston CCT was a SCUBA Team. Changed (or started to) after Grenada.
Old 27 July 2013, 20:27
Confirmed User

In the late 80's SCUBA became a requirement in CCT, as well as MFF. The Pope team had a HALO team (which I was assigned to), a SCUBA team and a Tactics team. Each team trained heavily on their specialty, but trained up and remained current in the other areas. I would do my dives during quarterly training iterations.

Our new posting rules