SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 July 2010, 17:34
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Living in Fresno, this is huge news. The search is on for the poor schmuck who let them go for $45!!!
You see stuff like this happening all the time on Antiques Roadshow. The appraiser will ask the person where they bought the vase/painting/artifact and they'll say they picked it up for next to nothing at a garage sale.
Old 29 July 2010, 04:38
On the Extract Bird

I know there are a number of others out there but this one just stuck with me...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17302444/

Guy buys one of the copies of the Declaration of Independence for $2.48 in a thrift store!

I cant imagine how it would feel to find something like this - or how gut wrenching it would be to know you were the one who dropped it off...
Old 29 July 2010, 06:45
Confirmed User

Location: Originally, Palermo. Recently, Milan. Currently, Kyoto.
Comments from relatives casting doubt on the find:

http://theanseladamsgallery.blogspot...0-article.html
Old 29 July 2010, 13:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfax View Post
Comments from relatives casting doubt on the find:

http://theanseladamsgallery.blogspot...0-article.html
Yep: http://www.ktvu.com/news/24432262/detail.html

I hope the guy hasn't started writing checks yet.

of course this begs the question: If it was "Uncle Earl" who took the photos everyone thought was Adams, does this mean Uncle Earl is now going to be super famous?
Old 29 July 2010, 18:24
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The family probably thought that all of his negatives for the photographs that he took were accounted for, and so to have a bunch of them out there beyond the control of his estate is intolerable.

Aside from protecting his legacy, they realize that these negatives and the pictures that can be reproduced from them, if they prove to be authentic, represent a windfall that won't wind up in their hands.

So of course they're going to cast doubt on their authenticity, there's a lot of money at stake.

As for Uncle Earl, if he did take these photographs, maybe they'll still have value in terms of somebody who used the same techniques as Adams to produce great photos. Maybe they can have an exhibit showing both works side by side, let the viewing public determine their relative worth.

Last edited by Spinner; 29 July 2010 at 18:29.
Old 29 July 2010, 18:35
Moving Target

I would go back and split the dough with the guy that sold it to me, wouldn't it be cool to see the look on his face after you told him. The picture of that would be priceless!

Last edited by foxcolt13; 29 July 2010 at 18:39.
Old 29 July 2010, 23:08
Confirmed User

Location: Originally, Palermo. Recently, Milan. Currently, Kyoto.
The thing about Adams is that a fair bit of what he did was about the printing, rather than the negative. Of course the negative is what you start from, but a lot of his stuff doesn't look like his stuff if you just contact print it. It was the dodging and burning, as well as paper/developer selection which teased out some of his most amazing images.

I understand where Spinner is coming from re: the family wanting to preserve their monopoly, but regardless of whether Uncle Earl took those pics or not, it does show that there was at least one other photographer taking pictures which are very similar to some of the Adams shots. Where there is two, there can always be many.

And in any case the Adams' descendant arguments were quite cogent.

We'll see what happens.

Our new posting rules