SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 July 2011, 14:55
Confirmed User

$300 Mil Never Used Ships Being Scrapped

http://hamptonroads.com.nyud.net/201...ead-scrap-heap

I know I shouldn't care it's just a few million. I doubt if it pays the interest on the national debt for a whole minute.

But still, W...T...F...!!!

Why doesn't somebody go to jail for this or at least lose their job?
Yeah, I know. Who do you blame? It's just the way the machine runs. It was no doubt easier to just walk away. Still, dang! All this time, money, effort wasted.
Old 20 July 2011, 15:19
Confirmed User

Damn. That sucks.

I wonder if you could buy one if you had the money. How much do you think it would cost to turn one into a huge yacht?
Old 20 July 2011, 15:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoddude View Post
Yeah, I know. Who do you blame? It's just the way the machine runs. It was no doubt easier to just walk away. Still, dang! All this time, money, effort wasted.
It sounds wasteful, but it’s impossible to evaluate without additional context.

Ship class programs originally determined to complete and deliver n hulls are continuously re-evaluated with respect to changing operational needs and budgets, new construction standards (as in this case), and a host of other factors. When a program is terminated, hulls under construction but not completed go on the pile for later disposition. $300M seems like a lot to scrap, but how much was saved by not completing/commissioning/crewing and operating these vessels throughout their projected service life? How much will be saved by removing them from storage, where they represent potential environmental damage, etc.?

Apparently the government signed over ownership at some point in the past, probably to mitigate those very costs…
Old 20 July 2011, 16:19
Been There Done That

It could become one of these

http://www.stabbertyachts.com/conver.../yacht315.html
Old 20 July 2011, 16:28
Been There Done That

Their present value as scrap (@ $200/ton) is $1.9 mil each

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianj View Post
It sounds wasteful, but it’s impossible to evaluate without additional context.

Ship class programs originally determined to complete and deliver n hulls are continuously re-evaluated with respect to changing operational needs and budgets, new construction standards (as in this case), and a host of other factors. When a program is terminated, hulls under construction but not completed go on the pile for later disposition. $300M seems like a lot to scrap, but how much was saved by not completing/commissioning/crewing and operating these vessels throughout their projected service life? How much will be saved by removing them from storage, where they represent potential environmental damage, etc.?

Apparently the government signed over ownership at some point in the past, probably to mitigate those very costs…
Old 20 July 2011, 16:57
Carl Spackler
Visitor

Should be reefs somewhere atleast...
Old 20 July 2011, 17:02
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Hey thats just what I want ,lets go halfy's on it.
Old 20 July 2011, 20:49
Nurse Ratched

One of them was 95% complete?

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 21 July 2011, 08:19
Confirmed User

The money was wasted over twenty years ago. I suspect that the completion costs would have been far, far greater than what the government would have gotten back if they'd sold them as finished vessels. As noted, they don't even meet the current standards for an oiler. If sold, the most likely customer would have been a third world nation that would have paid for them through American funding. There isn't much detail given on the background of the ships. It is possible that the Navy never wanted them and they were built because someone put it in the budget to keep a shipyard open in Philadelphia. At the end of WWII the U.S. government stopped construction of battleships in various stages of completion and turned them into scrap. It can seem like a waste, but the bigger waste would be to spend more money on something that isn't needed.
Old 21 July 2011, 08:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 View Post
The money was wasted over twenty years ago. I suspect that the completion costs would have been far, far greater than what the government would have gotten back if they'd sold them as finished vessels. As noted, they don't even meet the current standards for an oiler. If sold, the most likely customer would have been a third world nation that would have paid for them through American funding. There isn't much detail given on the background of the ships. It is possible that the Navy never wanted them and they were built because someone put it in the budget to keep a shipyard open in Philadelphia. At the end of WWII the U.S. government stopped construction of battleships in various stages of completion and turned them into scrap. It can seem like a waste, but the bigger waste would be to spend more money on something that isn't needed.
The ships were not completed as a result of the Exxon Valdez incident that basically made single hull oilers obsolete. There are 15 of that class in service- 15 with the U.S. and 1 in the service of Chile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_J...er_class_oiler
Old 21 July 2011, 21:42
Confirmed Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoddude View Post
That is the problem with the US GOV. It is managed by Generalists who move on to another position before they are held accountable for the money they wasted. By the time a problem shows itself, they are long gone.
Old 23 July 2011, 01:05
Martian for Pax Romana

I was reading this, and I thought about how comical it is that $100 million is a fraction of pocket change in relation to the trillions of dollars in national debt.
Old 23 July 2011, 14:10
Authorized Personnel

Unbelievable.....and the boys were buying their own body armors not too long ago...

Our new posting rules