SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 March 2010, 12:37
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Is there a season on those things?

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 5 March 2010, 12:41
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan
I think there is a segment of the population that would welcome it....
I welcome it -- and higher. $10 per gal is fine by me. We have a thread already discussing this, and I stand by my thoughts in that thread....
Old 5 March 2010, 13:33
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Small town nuke plants all the way.

The siesmic testing companies have been crawling all over my area testing for natural gas. They were just here yesterday, and want to do ANOTHER test to look down to 26,000 feet for oil and NG... Lucky me. I hope there's a crapload of oil right under my friggin house. Then I can go buy that island I've always wanted...

You guys should see this crap around here... I have 12 NG wells within 1/2 mile of my house, dump trucks and water trucks are tearing up the roads, they put windmills all over the mountian here... and are drilling as fast as they can, and they say it's going to get a lot bigger.

I also welcome higher gas prices. It will make my royalty checks bigger.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 5 March 2010, 13:37
Authorized Personnel

I'll rephrase that, there is a segment of the population that would gladly manipulate the price of gas higher in order to force people to be "green".
Old 5 March 2010, 13:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeed160th View Post
Rat-How many toll roads do you have in Texas? How do the fund road repairs there.
We fund the road off a fuel tax. Roughly .10 a mile per vehicle.

We have toll roads to fund for tolls.

We have cheaper fuel because we have refining cap. Other states do not. So if you add a .10 tax to your fuel now it will be in the above 3.00 a gal market and people will not drive. The Government in the Ill area and others keep the toll tax so the fuel tax does not go out os site and people stop driving.

Humans are funny. They will not pay 10 a gal for fuel, but they have no problem paying roughly 19.95 for a WD-40 type solvent.

So insted of adding a tax to the fuel they just jam the drivers more on the toll and leave the gass tax alone.

Now if the rads are Fed roads, then the money comes out of the Fed Road tax that is associated with the fule at roughly .75 a gal right now and getting ready to go up.

RO!!!
Old 5 March 2010, 13:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpool View Post
Karlm, Tolling in the USA was fairly new 40 years ago and they didn't anticipate how the government would change. I am in the business and there are about 4 current funding philosophies with tolling and they are all a bit different than the old model of issuing bonds to pay for the road then pay for maintenance and the bond payments out of the toll revenue. Each state does it a little different. These statements are very over generalized, but if the road is still there and the revenue to maintain it always came from the tolls the government is not going to be very keen to pull it from somewhere else. They don’t care what some promise someone else made 40 years ago they care about running current matters. Currently the majority of the money for road construction comes from the feds (80% on most projects) and the feds money mostly comes from fuel taxes. With some stimulus money tossed in there currently for various projects. However I don't see the transportation program growing 2 or 3 fold in the next year so taxes driving that $7 seems unlikely. Unless they start using the tax for something else but that would require some new laws and that would be difficult to intact in 4 months. Bottom line, gas will probably be expensive this summer as usual but everyone can hold off on buying the bicycles.
BINGO!!!

RO!!!
Old 5 March 2010, 14:03
BTDT

Rat-How about tolls, gas taxes that are about .55 cents a gallon, and toll booths...about every 7 miles. You have to ge through about 3 to get anywhere. Not like Ohio where you pay to get off. You pay to go through evey one.

Everyplace has there issues, but Chicago has History.

"Immature jackoff/asshole/agitator"

"I can only say I'm sorry so many times and mean it" Homer Simpson
Old 5 March 2010, 14:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeed160th View Post
Rat-How about tolls, gas taxes that are about .55 cents a gallon, and toll booths...about every 7 miles. You have to ge through about 3 to get anywhere. Not like Ohio where you pay to get off. You pay to go through evey one.

Everyplace has there issues, but Chicago has History.
HS160,

Your .55 a gal is a little under. Did you count for underground storage tax, OSRP-A fee, and use of fuel tax that is all added?

Just stright fuel tax is about .15 to .30 per gal. You have to add all that other crap to get the full tax.

Sort of like you don't count your gas tax in your house tax, great in theory but in reality you are paying for the fule tax too... we just don't look at it that way.

And for the toll... if it is .55 a mile the min sounds like 1.65 wich is about the country standard for tolls per so many miles.

The accontants have this shit broken down like crazy.

What they don't talk about is this: 40yrs ago a car lasted about 10yrs max. It was a big V8 350hp and used about 12gpm. Now the vehicles run 24 to 30mpg and last for about 15 to 20yrs now.

That is a LOT of revenu that is not collected that the Governement was collecting before. The gov is going to find a way to make up for that lost stream.

RO!!!
Old 5 March 2010, 16:46
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan
....there is a segment of the population that would gladly manipulate the price of gas higher in order to force people to be "green".
Fuck those people, they should be rigger-taped naked to telephone poles and spray-painted green....
Old 5 March 2010, 18:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GackMan View Post
I think there is a segment of the population that would welcome it...
...and those are the ones whose heads will need to roll. The aviation market is still reeling from that last one. I can't see how pricing everyone out of existence could possibly be "good".

Quote:
Idiots.
Agreed.
Old 6 March 2010, 01:05
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
That is a LOT of revenu that is not collected that the Governement was collecting before. The gov is going to find a way to make up for that lost stream.
Here's an idea. Stop spending money and decimate government employees. Hell, do it twice, maybe three times. The cost of road upkeep should be nothing like the cost of laying the roads down in the 1st place, save for the usual substandard materials and methods from low bid kick back contractors. Local roads for expanding housing developments are funded via local or county taxes, so where's the money going?

The Illinois tollway system is there to provide employment to the tollway workers, NOTHING MORE. It's the Republican patronage system, same as Cook county and the city have their patronage systems. Everybody just goes along to get along because they're all dirty. The various construction projects for roads and highways are likewise employment programs for their respective work forces. It ain't about what's good for the taxpayers, it's about what's good for the construction industry and keeping them voting in line with the plan. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 6 March 2010, 02:32
^^Female^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlm View Post
Thats funny because here in IL the tollways are supposed to pay for the roads up keep, and were supposed to be gone after 20 years, that was about 40 years ago
HA...I used to laugh at that when I was working up there driving all over....the portion of road that is toll from Naperville to Dekalb used to be THE WORST in the winter with potholes you could drive a truck into.

Of course, Texas has moved up to number one in potholes in my book.

Love where all our gas taxes and such are going!

Our new posting rules