Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 28 July 2011, 06:56
Administrator

Resume help info

At any one time there are 3-5 people asking me to help redo their resume or getting advice on how to make it better. I know other members are approached as well.

I spend an hour or more on most, and with some exchange 10 emails reviewing and tweaking it. The sad part is that many never follow up and say a thing once they get a solid resume. I've even helped people get jobs, very good jobs, and never hear another word from them or even see them on this site.

From now on if you want help, you need to consider using the Support SOCNET button with $25. At least that way the site will get some benefit. If the thought of giving away money for a value that others pay $75 or more from so called professional resume writers bothers you don't contact me. Your other option is to contact Scotty or EatIII and order a couple of coffee cups. They are helping support the site as well. http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=101834 This way you'll end up with a good resume and something to drink out of or smash when you get pissed at us.

I think this is more than a fair trade off and will show that you are serious and not just trying to get high value info and then moving on.

Thanks
Old 28 July 2011, 06:58
Confirmed User

$25 is pretty cheap
When I had my resume professionally redone it was $350
Old 28 July 2011, 11:26
Anesthetized User

$25 is dirt cheap for, at a minimum, great resume and or CV advice. If I ever needed this service, I would have a hard time only paying $25.

Support SOCNET.
Old 28 July 2011, 11:42
Administrator

I used to do resumes for buds for free, and I was pretty damned good at it. I stopped a few years ago because of time. Like you, if I did it, I did it right...and took a chunk of clock time to get it done.

I like the new approach. It's a fitting model.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 28 July 2011, 11:48

It's funny that people come to this site looking for professional help, professional jobs and to network with professional people. Yet, they lack the professionalism to give a simple thank you.

I think I may pay the $25 AND order some mugs
Old 28 July 2011, 12:03
BTDT

Thank you SB,

now the rest of you, buy some mugs and or water bottles, Socnet is there for you, be there for socnet
Old 28 July 2011, 12:17
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

I used to do resumes as a personal enjoyment and as a boost to the incumbent needing some assisst. I would bring the incumbent to my home, I would interview them for their background, then transfer that background into resume format. After the resume I would "play-role" employer-applicant and aid the incumbent on how to handle an employment interview. Every one of the people I helped was hired or promoted to the sought after positon, all except one.

This one liked me well enough, a female. But she was so stubborn and private that she was hell bent on being hard headed, planned no cooperation with an interviewing Board. I told her she would not be promoted to the Manangement position she sought. And, she was not.

For my services I used to charge a six-pack of beer. This was only a token exchange as I had income and I liked to aid those eager persons who are coming up the ladder and need some pro-assistance. I have since terminated my resume training as I have bigger fish that take my free time.

But for those reading this, and in my prior life I have reviewed several hundred resumes that stunk, $25.00 is a mere pittance for an attractive resume. Those whom read resumes are generally trained to pick out the flaws and valuable points. Such as using the world "I" too often. Speaks of being eccentric.

Remember, resumes will be in competition, and only the winner wins.

As an example, I recall have a resume in folder form placed before me. It was an inch thick. A Retired Army Colonel. I only read the personel Iden of the Colenel then dismissed the resume folder. It reeked with egotism. A bad trait to take into a new Company and new experienced subordinates.

Good show, Silverbullet.
Old 28 July 2011, 13:05
Über Equus Asinus

I agree with all the comments above.. fitting model.. that benefits both the site.. and the end user.. $25 is a mere pittance.. I have seen companies that charge anywhere from $150-$250 to write resumes for people.... Getting off for as little as 1/10th the going rate.. and picking up a couple of coffee mugs in the process is the deal of the century for those that cant do this on their own.. and the site gets a little help as well..

great idea..
Old 28 July 2011, 17:55
Violent Social Worker

Uh, this isn't retroactive, is it?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 28 July 2011, 19:55
#AllLionsMatter

YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Uh, this isn't retroactive, is it?
I wonder if, I should've charged you room & board in Iraq.

Stay safe bro!

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 28 July 2011, 21:33
Violent Social Worker

Lol! Send the bill to my former employer!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 5 August 2011, 21:03
Been There Done That

SB,

I've done a lot of hiring and reviewed several hundred resumes in the last year and a half alone. My expertise is limited to the security / protective services industry but I would be happy to help a brother out if needed.

Also, $25 is nothing. When I was looking to have mine professionally done for senior/exec level positions, it was a $1500 dollar price tag on the low end.
Old 14 September 2011, 20:36
Administrator

If you recently sent me a resume and haven't heard anything back, please resend. I had a slight problem with the delete button while on the road this week.
Sorry
Old 14 September 2011, 20:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATIII View Post
Thank you SB,

now the rest of you, buy some mugs and or water bottles, Socnet is there for you, be there for socnet
I don't need resume help right now, but I can always use another coffee mug. Where can I get one of those socket mugs.
Old 14 September 2011, 20:54
Administrator

I don't know where you can get socket coffee cups, but there's a link in the first post for socnet coffee cups.
Old 14 September 2011, 20:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I don't know where you can get socket coffee cups, but there's a link in the first post for socnet coffee cups.
Thanks....the damn spell check on the I phone gets me all the time if I don't pay attention
Old 14 September 2011, 21:35
Always the student

Scout 33, try this: http://shop.tacticalsanta.com
I ordered mine, still waiting but I'm OCONUS
Old 5 March 2012, 19:39
Administrator

If I have your resume for action it should be completed by this weekend.

Everyone else- I'm taking a break from resume work in order to focus on a couple of projects I'm involved with. I'll post when the shop is back open.

Thanks
Old 2 April 2012, 08:14
Administrator

I sent our 4 resumes or formats over the last 2 weeks and haven't heard back from any of those. Please let me know if you get my correspondence. I have no other way of knowing. Thanks
Old 2 April 2012, 19:46
It's a Dry Heat

<>

That is pretty pathetic for anyone on this net to do. I can't imagine that even a simple "thank-you" which takes about 30 seconds to do wasn't sent.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

In GOD we trust, all others we monitor

Our new posting rules