Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 18 May 2013, 09:34
Scoundrel

I can see it being helpful or useful as a way to demonstrate an aptitude or familiarity in lieu of actual experience, or as an aid in transitioning from one career field to another. But beyond that, especially maintaining certs for years, its crap.

I especially do not see the logic in an employer requiring the cert.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 18 May 2013, 10:05
Not bright, but energetic

I ran huge projects for a decade from about 96-06, managing many people and millions of dollars. My "certification" was advanced degrees in the field and years of experience. During this time PMP started being more popular and more rigidly demanded (thankfully not to me). Who was the first person in our small company to be certified? My secretary, who never managed a thing in her fucking life. It's definitely a fucking bullshit scam, and I personally have avoided any org that requires it. It's a luxury that many of you don't have, but a choice I have never regretted.
Old 18 May 2013, 18:48
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Well, as soon as I hit "Submit Payment" for $555.00 I get this wonderful surprise.

Your PMP application is being audited.
Your application has been randomly selected for the PMI audit process. You have 90 days to comply with the audit requirements. You will have 1 year to take the examination upon successful completion of the audit.

God Mother#&%&$* Dammit Coc*&#@&*$ Balls!!!!!!
Old 18 May 2013, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucible guy View Post
I was audited when I got mine a few years ago, it does involve paperwork, but don't be afraid of it. If your hours are real, and your supervisor/employer will sign, then it is pretty straightforward. They told me 1 out of every 3 was being audited and in my group and it was true to the numbers.

Thank you for the PDU information, it will be helpful.
Crucible guy, can you elaborate on the audit process. I'm pretty peeved. How much info and how detailed do they get. For instance some of my hours were for a supervisor position I held on a project that required clearances for all involved. How the heck am I supposed to disclose anything about that? I'm not feeling too comfortable with this whole audit thing. Reference check - fine. College transcripts - fine. Employment position and dates - no problem. Work details,...I'm not getting in to all that.
Old 18 May 2013, 21:08
Authorized Personnel

They do not need details, when you get the packet you will see, you just need to go back to your application and use the hours you chose with the employers/ supervisors you showed and then they have to fill out a form that says yes you did that. I called each of the supervisors in advance and fed exec them overnight their packet simultaneously including the envelope for them to send it to PMI. They have to mail it in directly to PMI. The longest part was waiting for the packet to get to me from PMI and then waiting for them to review it at the end. All in all took an extra week to ten days. The issue I had was I was scheduled for my boot camp course at the same time I was mailing out the audit paperwork and it delayed my testing date by a few days. The boot camp folks want you to take the test pretty quick after the completion of the class. That added to my stress level before the test. The test is no joke and designed for only 33% to pass, mostly by crappy worded questions to trick you. I ended up being fortunate enough to have to drive the 5 hours from Jackson to Casper to take the test at the testing Center. My wife quizzed me for the entire time, mixing it up and making sure I knew it back and forward. In my opinion that made the difference for me.
Old 18 May 2013, 21:40

Oh ok. So they will be sending me an auditing packet in the mail? Some of my contacts are overseas,...this sounds like it's gonna be fun. Nothing I can't handle though. Thanks CG.
Old 21 May 2013, 10:35
Authorized Personnel

By the way I agree with all accounts - PMP is a scam, I saw folks in the room that had been studying the PMBOK for a year before taking the boot camp course and could spout every input output and process on the chart. But they could not tie there shoes and decide where to go to lunch in the same calendar day.
Old 21 May 2013, 17:22
Doc McNasty

Self-invented certification, by a self-funding "institute". Self-monitoring, and self-approving, not subject to any outside or peer-reviewed authoritative study. And the biggest scam indicator to me is the annual $$ requirement.
Old 23 May 2013, 10:30
#AllLionsMatter

And again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
Self-invented certification, by a self-funding "institute". Self-monitoring, and self-approving, not subject to any outside or peer-reviewed authoritative study. And the biggest scam indicator to me is the annual $$ requirement.
Increasing costs on projects through folks "self-aggrandizing" their PMP certification through un-necessary collaboration during meetings...

Stay safe.

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 23 May 2013, 10:32
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
Oh ok. So they will be sending me an auditing packet in the mail? Some of my contacts are overseas,...this sounds like it's gonna be fun. Nothing I can't handle though. Thanks CG.

Enjoy...every time I get audited for a cert, I end up having to try to find military NCOICs/LPOs/COs that I haven't seen or heard from in years...and that's just no fun...

While true:
Continue
Old 24 May 2013, 12:10

Quote:
You have successfully completed PMI’s audit process for the PMP® credential

Dear Trig,

Congratulations! You have successfully met the requirements of PMI's audit process.

You may now schedule your Project Management Professional (PMP)® credential examination. Use the Exam Scheduling Instructions to help you with this next step.
Yay me.
Old 16 October 2013, 08:52
Russian Tycoon

More on PDU reporting:

Just knocked out 21 PDUs through CAT B (Self-Directed Learning) by taking risk management courses through my agency's learning portal. Even though it was not on the list of the approved providers, PMI accepted them. I decided that it would be fair to claim 3 PDUs per online class.

Bottom line: nobody should ever be paying anyone for getting the stupid PDUs.
Old 16 October 2013, 09:06
Puttin' on the foil

I had a "Senior Implementation Manager" who came into my company and talked up his PMP and what a stud it made him. Everything out of his mouth was PMP this, PMP that. He lasted 4 months and was shit canned.
Old 16 October 2013, 09:09
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyDeuce View Post
I had a "Senior Implementation Manager" who came into my company and talked up his PMP and what a stud it made him. Everything out of his mouth was PMP this, PMP that. He lasted 4 months and was shit canned.
Hopefully your post (and mine) is deleted. This isn't a thread about the value of PMP but how to obtain and maintain the cert....
Old 16 October 2013, 09:42
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Edited to add that there (IMO) are a shitload of posts that should be dumped in this thread....
Old 16 October 2013, 22:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyDeuce View Post
I tell people what a stud I am for having a PMP because 10 days before getting the certification I had no earthly idea of what a PMP was. And in class I was all like "Uh...what's Sigma Six?"

Yet I passed when so many who have managed so much failed. Muahahaha.

GWAG-

Is there any way I can earn those PDUs with putting in like zero effort? Maybe leave a webinar on in the background while I play Xbox or something?
22 Aug 17
Old 17 October 2013, 09:37
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
GWAG-

Is there any way I can earn those PDUs with putting in like zero effort? Maybe leave a webinar on in the background while I play Xbox or something?
You sure can. Here is the link to free webinars (it was originally posted by specat93) that can be claimed in CAT B:

http://www.projectmanagementbookstor...ar-series.html

Disclaimer: I haven't tested these webinars out yet, so if they do not work, I apologize.

Plus, don't forget to claim 5 PDUs each year for working in project management field. In other words, you get 15 PDUs during each recert cycle for doing your job, so you only have 45 to obtain.

These online classes weren't horribly bad. I have significantly improved my clicking speed from clicking "Next" button so many times. The tests in the end of each class have the same silly repeating questions as the PMP exam.
Old 17 October 2013, 10:14
Bland user

I like the PMBOK book but I’ve never needed the certification.
I had to chop a PhD engineer with the PMP cert for incompetence and excessive chart making. I was not impressed.
Old 17 October 2013, 12:13
Russian Tycoon

Another thing on webinars (sorry, I just thought of it). Log into your PMI account, go to Knowledge Center, and then to On-Demand Webinars. I counted 23 free webinars in the library; each of them runs for about an hour so that's 23 PDUs right there.
Old 21 October 2013, 15:28
Russian Tycoon

Another webinar source (these are podcasts, PDUs should be claimed in CAT C):

http://www.project-management-podcast.com/

NB: The free version does not provide PMI transcripts, so I recommend doing some sort of screen capture in iTunes/Google Reader so you have a proof of completion in case of audit.

Our new posting rules