Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 18 October 2017, 19:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
I have aspirations of going federal, but I figured staying local for 2 or 3 years would help as far as experience went.
That is a great goal, and the benefits in federal law enforcement jobs can't be overstated. However, as others noted, be careful and research each job before you go after it. Some agencies are wonderful employment, others are paper monsters. There are fantastic federal GS-1811 jobs where you are an actual detective, chasing bad guys and doing good things. There are positions (one of which I recall was called something like high country ranger) where you were receiving federal pay, riding out on a horse and enforcing the law. Some of them came thru in-service while I was at FLETC and talked about bringing along fishing gear and living off the land while working. What a job! Best of luck.
fkl
Old 18 October 2017, 20:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
That is a great goal, and the benefits in federal law enforcement jobs can't be overstated. However, as others noted, be careful and research each job before you go after it. Some agencies are wonderful employment, others are paper monsters. There are fantastic federal GS-1811 jobs where you are an actual detective, chasing bad guys and doing good things. There are positions (one of which I recall was called something like high country ranger) where you were receiving federal pay, riding out on a horse and enforcing the law. Some of them came thru in-service while I was at FLETC and talked about bringing along fishing gear and living off the land while working. What a job! Best of luck.
fkl
There are boot beat cops in my department that have more day to day discretion than most FBI agents. I remembered being bewildered the first time I was out with the FBI and there was clear grounds to make an arrest and they had to call a AUSA to get the okay when most beat cops in my PD would have scooped the guy.

I'd really research any federal agency before signing on to be sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
Old 18 October 2017, 21:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
There are boot beat cops in my department that have more day to day discretion than most FBI agents. I remembered being bewildered the first time I was out with the FBI and there was clear grounds to make an arrest and they had to call a AUSA to get the okay when most beat cops in my PD would have scooped the guy.

I'd really research any federal agency before signing on to be sure you know what you're getting yourself into.
My final gig before retirement was with a state crime bureau that opted for no probable cause arrests unless someone was in danger of bodily harm. Many years ago I spent time as a prosecuting attorney dealing with all of the arrests you mention. No qualms with what you are saying, but there are reasons both policies are there. In fact, in the federal government, there are US Attorneys more willing to pursue cases than those in other Districts.

I concur that Kip needs to research any agency (in fact, local, county, state, or federal) before signing. I've served in both good and bad, good is a lot more enjoyable.

v/r
fkl
Old 18 October 2017, 22:45

http://mellenpress.com/book/The-Crim...d-States/6556/

One page blurb on the detective agencies of the military.

I'm guessing that you have a squeaky clean background. The background checks for really good federal jobs will end up finding stuff about you that you didn't even know.
Old 18 October 2017, 23:27
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post

I concur that Kip needs to research any agency (in fact, local, county, state, or federal) before signing. I've served in both good and bad, good is a lot more enjoyable.

v/r
fkl
This times a million..... My current gig is a paper producing nightmare but I can also go from playing the "meow game" with someone not wearing a seat belt to doing 140mph into an active shooter/manhunt.

My previous fed gig was laid back and paid better with oppurtunities to deploy to various countries. No take home vehicle,so when I was off I was actually off and didn't have to tell the neighbors shit about what I did. As opposed to waiting for the no/no go on a high risk warrant while trying to eat dinner after being awake 30 hours. Sleep and shift work.... Not a harmonies relationship.

I have a bullshit magnet parked in the driveway and every ass clown in my neighborhood wants me to fix a ticket or ask me about a crash they were in. Or tell you about all of the strange vehicles that passed through the neighborhood.

Pros and cons.... Look at ALL the pros and cons you can. Some pros and cons won't be visble to you or you won't fully understand them until you're on the other side of the table. I didn't realize JUST HOW MUCH FUCKING PAPERWORK GOES INTO A DAY. I was told that the AO I wanted to work was busier than any two other others combined. Fucking understatement. But it beats "laid back" anyday.

What are you looking to do longterm?
Fed 1811? Be careful who you tell that to. Some agencies will not fool with training you if you plan on rolling out.

Office view isnt too bad either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (21.5 KB, 80 views)

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 19 October 2017, 13:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
I'm guessing that you have a squeaky clean background. The background checks for really good federal jobs will end up finding stuff about you that you didn't even know.
Yea, my background is very, very clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
What are you looking to do longterm?
Fed 1811? Be careful who you tell that to. Some agencies will not fool with training you if you plan on rolling out.
Long-term, yes, Fed LE. I know a guy who works for US Customs(ICE now, IIRC) and has been there for 20+ years, and he is the one who originally turned me onto fed LE.

With regards to learning the pros/cons of my local LEAs, I'm actually just starting an internship with my local sheriff's office, of Hurricane Irma fame.

My local PD is the one that was involved in the sex scandal.

So, yea...
Old 20 October 2017, 14:57

Quote:
Yea, my background is very, very clean.

Long-term, yes, Fed LE. I know a guy who works for US Customs(ICE now, IIRC) and has been there for 20+ years, and he is the one who originally turned me onto fed LE.

With regards to learning the pros/cons of my local LEAs, I'm actually just starting an internship with my local sheriff's office, of Hurricane Irma fame.

My local PD is the one that was involved in the sex scandal.

So, yea...

Wanting to start with local to go FED-

I think you should look into State Agencies, as it is a bit of the best of both worlds. Do your time, and can try out for SWAT, CID, Aviation- you get to stay in one state as opposed to moving every few years.

In my agency, I've heard being a state guy on a FED detail is the way to go. This guy does none of the paperwork on either end, but gets to do all the chasing bad guys.

I am biased though, and have only worked for a State agency.
Old 20 October 2017, 15:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Your mileage may vary, and there are tons of FBI agents who don't fit this generalization...

The FBI has an "ideal" candidate in mind when they are selecting candidates for new agent training. That ideal candidate is a 32 YO disabled Asian veteran female with a graduate degree in law, science, or accounting, who speaks Russian, Farsi, or another exotic and needed language, with law enforcement experience, who can also run like the wind and do 100 pull ups. While there are minimum standards, the closer you can get to the ideal candidate, the better.

My bachelors and masters degrees are both in history, but just for fun I'm working on an AAS in police science right now.

I recommend that you get a degree in law, accounting, or a hard science, and follow it up with real world experience.
Old 21 October 2017, 14:57
Social Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg4139 View Post
Wanting to start with local to go FED-

I think you should look into State Agencies, as it is a bit of the best of both worlds. Do your time, and can try out for SWAT, CID, Aviation- you get to stay in one state as opposed to moving every few years.

In my agency, I've heard being a state guy on a FED detail is the way to go. This guy does none of the paperwork on either end, but gets to do all the chasing bad guys.

I am biased though, and have only worked for a State agency.
Kip,
Correct me if I'm wrong, you're in Florida? Florida Highway Patrol and Florida Bureau of Investigations would t be bad pathways.

Regarding what cg4139 said, some of the happiest guys are state dudes that are on a Fed Task Force. Like so happy it should be illegal

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 21 October 2017, 19:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Kip,
Correct me if I'm wrong, you're in Florida? Florida Highway Patrol and Florida Bureau of Investigations would t be bad pathways.

said, some of the happiest guys are state dudes
I retired as an Inspector with "Florida Department of Law Enforcement" in 2016. I was in heaven from 2012 when I retired from DHS and FDLE asked if I would like to come back "home" until I hung it up in 2016. I was with them before 9/11 and they kept my position until I came home. They are a great place, and as close to family as one would find in the military.
But Kip will need 5 years law enforcement experience to be considered for a special agent positon.
fkl
Old 21 October 2017, 19:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Kip,

Regarding what cg4139 said, some of the happiest guys are state dudes that are on a Fed Task Force. Like so happy it should be illegal
Yes, I'm in Florida.

I don't know much about the Florida Department of Law Enforcement(beyond a dramatized TV show), but a recruiter for FHP spoke at my college not long ago. I'll have to look into both a bit more.

Our new posting rules