SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 September 2015, 08:49
Been There Done That

Skeet/Trap

Did some trap shooting yesterday. What a great time!

Going to get more into this, that is for sure.

Considering a Beretta A400 Xplor.
Old 8 September 2015, 09:56
Hard to Kill

You will probably need different guns, eventually, for skeet and trap. Look at the Benelli offerings as well.
Old 8 September 2015, 10:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
You will probably need different guns, eventually, for skeet and trap. Look at the Benelli offerings as well.
What, my 870 with an 18" barrel won't work?
Old 8 September 2015, 10:03
Confirmed User

I really need to get out to the skeet/trap range one of these days. I haven't been in a long time.

It's so expensive, though. Last time I was there, they were charging 75 cents per bird, plus ammo(though you could bring your own if you didn't want to pay their prices; not sure how much money you'd save that way, though).

I wish there was a different range I could go to, or I knew someone with some land or something.
Old 8 September 2015, 10:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
I really need to get out to the skeet/trap range one of these days. I haven't been in a long time.

It's so expensive, though. Last time I was there, they were charging 75 cents per bird, plus ammo(though you could bring your own if you didn't want to pay their prices; not sure how much money you'd save that way, though).

I wish there was a different range I could go to, or I knew someone with some land or something.
We have a really good conservation club outside of my area. $75 a year. You can bring up to 3 guest with you, at $5 a guest for a day.

Two Pistol and rifle ranges (50m and 100m), Skeet/trap ranges, and camping area along with 3 stocked ponds for fishing.

It cost $5 for a round of 25 clay pigeons - paid in an envelop on a honor system. All the "boxes" are stocked by the staff and are either voice activated or manually activated. Voice is very nice if you are by your self.

But, be careful on the voice command. Yelled "Pull" and shot one, then turned and told my brother "just winged that one!" and out of the corner of my eye, another clay was flying through the air!
Old 8 September 2015, 13:25
Un-confirmed User

Quote:
Look at the Benelli offerings as well.
Recently had the opportunity to shoot a Benelli Super Vinci...I think I found my next shotgun!
Old 8 September 2015, 13:27
Been There Done That

Sounds like 28" over/under is the way to go for all around performance, trap/skeet/clays/field use? Unless you want to have more than one gun.
Old 8 September 2015, 13:46
Freelancer

A long time ago at the Tweeds Cave Rod and Gun club on NAVCAMS Guam.
I would shoot skeet with a 870 in 28ga or .410 small gauge made me a better shot.

I shot a perfect round one day using a Rem SP10 10 gauge lol.

I second Benelli also I have a HK stamped SBE that perfect for skeet/trap or hunting.
Old 22 September 2015, 08:29
Been There Done That

Been taking a hard look at Beretta's Excel, but a little undecided on the anodized blue receiver. Also looking at a Remington 1100 Trap - but Remington's quality has led a lot to be desired over the last couple of years so a bit leery.
Old 22 September 2015, 09:06
Adding Chlorine

If you are looking for the right type of gun for you, look into the Yildiz brand if you have Academy Sports near you. They have these imported from Turkey and are great little guns that are light on the budget.

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 22 September 2015, 09:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
I would need a ZSU 23-4. Never could hit anything flying.
Old 22 September 2015, 09:22
Administrator

I recently got into shooting sporting clays. It's like golf with guns. It's a riot.

I bought a good all-around shotty for sporting clays, skeet, trap, and upland game (I do a European-style tower pheasant hunt once a year).

I got a Browning Citori 725 28" with a full set of 6 Invicta chokes from full down to skeet. I am only just now getting used to which chokes to use and when.

It took me a couple years to get used to the "don't aim" philosophy of shotgunning....I now can shoot a 50-58 on a 75-bird course on a good day (it's not as good as it sounds - some guys only miss one or two all day).

It's an absolute riot if you have never done it.....and great for business; a way-better alternative to golf.

I am going out with a prospective client this afternoon, in fact: http://www.hillndaleclub.com/

I am also on the waiting list to join a shotgun club near my house. The wait list is over five years to get in: http://www.beavercreeksc.org/

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 22 September 2015, 11:16
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Been taking a hard look at Beretta's Excel, but a little undecided on the anodized blue receiver. Also looking at a Remington 1100 Trap - but Remington's quality has led a lot to be desired over the last couple of years so a bit leery.
I shot a couple rounds of clays on the Excel recently ,can't say anything bad about it despite my poor opinion of Beretta. The blue receiver was cheesy, though.

DH--I struggled mightily with the idea of not using the sights. Looked like a bumblefuck out there for a bit. A hardnosed old fella in a Vietnam ball cap with CIB was kind enough to educate me.
Old 22 September 2015, 14:40
Been There Done That

Yep, it will

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
What, my 870 with an 18" barrel won't work?
Knew a shotgun instructor teaching want to be paramilitary officers, "Red", shoot both skeet and trap, and everything else with an standard 870. He rarely ever missed.

He would amaze the students by shooting birds from the hip, one after another. It was something to watch.

I could never match him, if that was all I ever did.
Old 3 December 2015, 15:49
Been There Done That

Picked up a used Browning BT-99 12g a yesterday for $495! Going out tomorrow to shoot, can't wait.

Shot a 23/25 and a 24/25 with my CZ 20ga Over/Under couple of weeks ago. Really getting into Trap shooting now, so sounded like the BT-99 was the way to go. Still have a Browning O/U 12 ga will use for skeet or sporting clays as need to start doing as well.

Trap is more fun that a barrel full of monkeys.
Old 3 December 2015, 16:33
Old Scroll

Waiting to get my 1890 Parker Brothers grade CH 12 Ga. with 30" Bernard barrels and internal hammers back from the Stock Doctor, where it's been for going on two years now. Getting a bit impatient with him....

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 3 December 2015, 16:57
Confirmed User

There is something that just feels classy about pulling a pretty over / under out of it's case at the skeet range. The 28" O/U with different chokes will do you fine unless you are competing big time. I went pretty cheap with a Ruger Red Label, and really enjoy it for trap and skeet. It is heavy, so it is a bit of a bear in the field for pheasants, but that helps when shooting a lot at the range.

If you want a soft shooting, lightweight gun, I have been really impressed with the Remington VersaMax.

Of course, you could also look into a 16 gauge, or a .410 if you want to hone your skills even more.
Old 3 December 2015, 17:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I recently got into shooting sporting clays. It's like golf with guns. It's a riot.

I bought a good all-around shotty for sporting clays, skeet, trap, and upland game (I do a European-style tower pheasant hunt once a year).

I got a Browning Citori 725 28" with a full set of 6 Invicta chokes from full down to skeet. I am only just now getting used to which chokes to use and when.

It took me a couple years to get used to the "don't aim" philosophy of shotgunning....I now can shoot a 50-58 on a 75-bird course on a good day (it's not as good as it sounds - some guys only miss one or two all day).

It's an absolute riot if you have never done it.....and great for business; a way-better alternative to golf.

I am going out with a prospective client this afternoon, in fact: http://www.hillndaleclub.com/

I am also on the waiting list to join a shotgun club near my house. The wait list is over five years to get in: http://www.beavercreeksc.org/

You're a pussy if you dont buy a Perazzi....lol
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 15 December 2015, 14:13
Freelancer

Anyone use one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP3K3VvjmvA
Old 16 December 2015, 18:39
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
You're a pussy if you dont buy a Perazzi....lol
Don't buy a cheap ass Perazzi....

Get a Fabbri..... Order it now and you should have it 4-5 years.

http://www.fabbri.it

Or you could find one in an online auction:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/fabbri-shotguns.cfm?cat_id=729

Our new posting rules