Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 1 July 2017, 04:45
Proud wearer of a Beard.

The most disturbing aspect of this thread is that LP wanted / bought an old AUG.

For the love of boobs dude, whhhyyyyy?!? Nerf guns are more reliable and lethal...and accurate.
Old 1 July 2017, 07:53
Been There Done That

Hmmm.....no. You Aussies had some issues, based on QC issues of locally Aussie built quality control. Not Austrian made, not Vlotr receivers.

IMO, the AUG is WAY more reliable than the AR platform. Gets less dirty, requires less lubrication, less maintenance. Bigger parts, and is extremely accurate, better balance. The current FNH cold hammer forged barrels, used in the AUGs (again not used in the Aussie manufactured version IRRC) are easily shooting 1.5" groups. More accurate than any AR I have used. With the integrated scope (1.5x), which I love, I can consistently put all my shots, from even a standing position, right where I need. Not to mention, the pull put design, with a 16.5" barrel, you essentially have a completely legal, no tax stamp required, SBR. With the 20" barrel, the overall length is the same as a 14.5" barrel M-4 essentially.

If I was heading into harm's way again, and could take my choice of a AR, and AK, or an AUG.... the AUG would be my choice. Do I like ARs and AKs? Yes, have carried and extensively used both, but the AUG gets my overall vote.

I have fired now thousands of rounds through my AUGs, and never even once have had any type of malfunction.

Some complain about the trigger. Well, I don't think it is bad at all, but if you want to smooth it out, a $28 Neu-Trigger modification does the trick quite nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 July 2017, 09:27
Proud wearer of a Beard.

You're right in that the Aussie version is crap...and yes, that's influencing my thinking a hell of a lot.
Old 1 July 2017, 20:39
Confirmed User

For even more authenticity though not a red dot it would still be pretty cool to have. Not sure if this is a good deal or not.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEq...scope/52400548
Old 5 July 2017, 13:27
Moving Target

177 Flash suppressor

I saw the xm 177 Flash Suppressor for sale at SARCO yesterday if anyones interested. heres the link

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/xm177-flash-hider.aspx
Old 5 July 2017, 14:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I saw the xm 177 Flash Suppressor for sale at SARCO yesterday if anyones interested. heres the link

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/xm177-flash-hider.aspx
That's cool. I wonder if they are dimensionally the same as the old ones. Griffin Armament has an xm177 flash hider they make ---- for ~$130. They were in a thread on another forum and someone asked what makes them worth the extra scratch vs something like you posted in the $40-$60 range. They said that most of the lower-cost ones were straight shot bored out and were made out of pig metal and parked, while theirs was SS, nitrided, had internal dimensions similar to the original MACV-SOG drawings (minus the baffles, of course) and act a bit better to reduce recoil and climb.

Even so, I'm really thinking about the lower cost ones vs the Griffin. The price Brownells charges for a friggin 12.7" carbine-length pencil barrel is goddamn ridiculous for a non-match item. But I guess they can, since they're the only fuckers that have that barrel.

I've also decided I'm going to make one for my old man as a Xmas gift. I've went online and looked at some pictures of actual XM117E2s from museums, so I'll make the serial number accurate as well. I'll be electro-etching the things on an 80% lower with all the proper rollmarks and nomenclature too. Check out the results from that method, using only salt water, qtips, and a 9volt battery. Friggin amazing.

Vinyl template sticker

After electro etching

I even went and found a few 50 year old GP straps on Ebay, so I'll be martha stewarting a sling like they did back then.
Old 5 July 2017, 15:50
Moving Target

I would love to learn that. Im a home builder myself though I havent done much lately. I really miss Federal Arms Corps. I use to buy lots of stuff from them.
Old 5 July 2017, 16:30
Confirmed User

it is STUPID easy. Literally all you need is a 9V battery, saltwater, Qtips, and some alligator clips. Although many people use some other stuff for better results. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8rUEHk93KA
Old 5 July 2017, 18:39
Moving Target

Thats interesting, I wondered how they did that. thanks
Old 5 July 2017, 20:50
Confirmed User

Man, as gay as I think the "battleworn" cerakote finishes are on modern guns, these retro guns look really damn good with a nice 'aging' process applied to them. I'm going to have to figure out how to duplicate it --- without lending it to a PD for 20 years.

The bottom rifle in this pic looks sexy as hell.
Attached Images
File Type: png sexy guns.PNG (1.26 MB, 152 views)
Old 5 July 2017, 21:03
Confirmed User

deleted
Old 5 July 2017, 21:05
Confirmed User

Found a really old pic of it suppressed (if you would call it that)
Attached Images
File Type: png Cropped.png (109.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 5 July 2017, 21:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Man, as gay as I think the "battleworn" cerakote finishes are on modern guns, these retro guns look really damn good with a nice 'aging' process applied to them. I'm going to have to figure out how to duplicate it --- without lending it to a PD for 20 years.

The bottom rifle in this pic looks sexy as hell.
Spend four hours every Thursday at the armory making it inspection ready. It worked for my A2...
Old 5 July 2017, 21:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Spend four hours every Thursday at the armory making it inspection ready. It worked for my A2...
Yeah no shit. Every A2 I was issued looked like it really was carried from the 'Nam and rattled like a old man's teeth. Anodizing as worn as shit. I'm thinking a dremel emory wheel could help replicate that in a new gun, without going overboard.

One of these guns I'm making will be a gift to the old man, so getting that "worn" look would be pretty cool I think.
Old 17 July 2017, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post

Even so, I'm really thinking about the lower cost ones vs the Griffin. The price Brownells charges for a friggin 12.7" carbine-length pencil barrel is goddamn ridiculous for a non-match item. But I guess they can, since they're the only fuckers that have that barrel.

Just curious why the 12.7 barrel? Wouldn't a 11.5 barrel with 5.5 XM177 style flash hider pinned be legal with out the stamp.
Old 17 July 2017, 18:55
Confirmed User

I think a fake moderator (muzzle device and grenade ring) + 11.5" barrel comes to a total of 15.95". I really don't think a jury would send you to jail for .05"...........and I think that's within the 'plausible deniability' range for sure.

ARF had a thread on why 12.7", and the internet response was such:

Quote:
That's not normally how barrel length is measured. Usually it's measured from muzzle to breach face, and in the case of an ar15, the breach face sits inside the barrel extension. I have a feeling when Brownell's made their 12.7" "moderator ready" barrels, they used the correct way to measure barrel length.

When I built my xm177e2 I used an 11.5" barrel with an ar15sport moderator, with is 4.8" long (half inch longer than a real moderator, 4.3"). I had to shim the grenade ring a bit, which gave me an extra .20", and ended up with a final barrel length of 16.125" (measured muzzle to breach face).

With the measurements from my build, I'd estimate that you would need a barrel about 12.2" in length to use a standard 4.3" moderator.
Attached Images
File Type: png Bricks1.PNG (80.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 20 July 2017, 00:20
Confirmed User

So I tried that electro-etching technique to get the proper "rollmark" marking tonight. I must say I was worried about fucking up and scrapping an 80% lower, but I think it came out pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1 -80Percent lower.PNG (1.33 MB, 65 views)
File Type: png 2 -Sticker decal.PNG (1.43 MB, 66 views)
File Type: png 3 -sticker removal.PNG (1.28 MB, 65 views)
File Type: png 4 -Taped Up.PNG (712.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 20 July 2017, 00:21
Confirmed User

In process and initial result....
Attached Images
File Type: png 5 -Begin Etch.PNG (808.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png 6 -Broke Ass Etching Rig.PNG (666.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png 7 -End Etch.PNG (614.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png 8 -After Sticker Removal.PNG (669.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 20 July 2017, 00:22
Confirmed User

After a very quick hit with the scotch-brite pad......
Attached Images
File Type: png 9 -Etching Depth.PNG (534.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: png 10-Quick Soft Buff.PNG (748.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 20 July 2017, 01:40
Violent Social Worker

That looks awesome. Also, you could be a had model.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules