SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 27 January 2016, 11:03
Confirmed User

F-22 with historic Maloney's Pony insignia

Knowing practically nothing about USAF fighter squadron history, I found this story interesting. From a complete outsider's perspective, it also seems as though the USN aircraft tend to maintain the distinctive markings and lineage from their squadrons more so than the USAF.

Quote from the story: "But as Maj. David Schmitt, 411th Fighter Test Squadron assistant director of operations, explains “when the squadron became a Raptor squadron, they did away with (Maloney’s Pony) because it’s a stealth aircraft, they didn’t want anything on the side of it so that tradition stopped.”

So, being marginally literate and barely able to dress myself is it a leap of logic to deduce markings on a stealth aircraft degrade it's capability in some fashion?

Cool that this unit kept the tradition alive.

http://theaviationist.com/2016/01/26...rst-in-combat/
Old 27 January 2016, 15:42
Confirmed User

I doubt that it is cost effective to make the radar absorbing paints in all the colors used to create the logo. Maybe they can mix absorbing paint or base with the right colors.

I wonder if vinyl would work.
Old 27 January 2016, 18:45
Been There Done That

It's not the paint, it's risk aversion and political correctness. I guarantee there was some debate on relative merit; then someone in the food chain said "screw it" and had it painted on the fuselage.

The Air Force has tail fin identification like the image below:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...yr9swr8xyi.jpg

So, it' ain't the technology delaying it... ;-)
Old 27 January 2016, 20:06
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
It's not the paint, it's risk aversion and political correctness. I guarantee there was some debate on relative merit; then someone in the food chain said "screw it" and had it painted on the fuselage.

The Air Force has tail fin identification like the image below:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...yr9swr8xyi.jpg

So, it' ain't the technology delaying it... ;-)
+3 Spot on
Old 27 January 2016, 21:27
Preparing to defend

There's 22's here now. Living under the App/Dep end of the APRT has it's advantages. And disadvantages.

All that I've observed have the gray emblems, but they blend in so well they are sometimes very hard to tell.
Old 27 January 2016, 21:29
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN47 View Post
it also seems as though the USN aircraft tend to maintain the distinctive markings and lineage from their squadrons more so than the USAF.

Ya think?

More true than you know unfortunately. The AF leadership talks a good game about heritage, but we are in the midst of a full on campaign to eradicate it at the moment.
Old 28 January 2016, 14:49
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
It's not the paint, it's risk aversion and political correctness....So, it' ain't the technology delaying it... ;-)
Yup, The coatings employed on the F-22 are stealth by design, and they have different shades. Making the traditional markings would be as simple as employing a lighter gray over the darker gray. Hell, They could do it in DOT orange, and still maintain the radar signature of a hummingbird. PC fuckery at it's finest.

Our new posting rules