SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 20 March 2019, 10:45
Hard to Kill

Portable Jump Packs - Who has one?

I am wanting to add these portable jump packs to the cars/go bags. While I understand the basics of electricity, both AC and DC, I know there is some new technology out there that makes these a better piece of kit. Who has one? How does it work? What should we look for? Are any chargeable by solar or have solar built in?
Old 20 March 2019, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am wanting to add these portable jump packs to the cars/go bags. While I understand the basics of electricity, both AC and DC, I know there is some new technology out there that makes these a better piece of kit. Who has one? How does it work? What should we look for? Are any chargeable by solar or have solar built in?
While I can't answer the primary question, I have been researching these as well and can throw in on the secondary question. I have seen some with solar, but I recommend having your own solar array. I keep a Goal Zero panel in my kit, and use it to recharge devices and battery backups.

A number of jump packs use USB recharging and will charge off my goal zero solar panel.

From personal use and reading about them, devices with built in solar panels are ok but won't charge nearly as fast. I would recommend staying away from devices with built in panels unless you are going for extremely compact and won't mind waiting for 1-5 days depending on conditions to charge something as powerful as a jump pack.
Old 20 March 2019, 12:08
Confirmed User

Portable Jump Packs - Who Has One?

I use one at work, but it is a legacy sealed lead acid type. It works, but it is big and heavy compared to the lithium-ion packs.

Since you asked about new technology, you probably are interested in learning more about the newer lithium-ion packs. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, get one that has a large enough capacity to start the biggest vehicle you think you might ever need to jump start.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-portable-jump-starters-4140286

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-10/
Old 20 March 2019, 12:45
Confirmed User

My Dad has one of those lithium ion ones from harbor freight that he has used to jump a 580 case with.
Old 20 March 2019, 12:48
Been There Done That

I have one of the lithium ions. it's ok, and would work on the first shot most of the time. if not... probably not. lately, it's more miss than hit, and I'm not sure why unless it's a battery reconditioning issue. I've had it a couple years, and newer models might be better. using a USB via 120v wall outlet could take up to several hours on a recharge (reading a 4 bar charge status). charging off solar... I could see that taking days. I'd definitely look at a more robust stand alone solar system as a primary charging system.

it would charge off a 14v system, with a 12v adapter, assuming the vehicle's charging system was operational. similar recharge times as 120v.

I'd have to find it to give you a name brand.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 20 March 2019, 13:49

TFG, here is what I use:

https://www.bioliteenergy [dot] com/products/solarpanel-10-plus

Charges a phone in about an hour and a half or less. Charges battery bank in a day. Has its own built in battery which holds enough juice to charge a phone a couple times.

https://toughtested [dot] com/products-power-rugged-weatherproof-8000-mah-dual-usb-battery-pack

Tough as heck. Built in flashlight. Dirt and water resistant. Charges a phone a few times. Only con: it takes a while to charge.

What I am researching:
https://toughtested [dot] com/jump-starter-power-bank
https://toughtested [dot] com/pocket-jump-starter-power-bank

What I used and returned:

https://www.rei [dot] com/product/137651/powertraveller-solar-adventurer-slimline-solar-powered-charger
Utter garbage. Maybe it took days to solar charge. It didn't work for me in the field after I drained the initial charge I put on at home.
Old 20 March 2019, 16:41
Shakin' the bush Boss

I have one in every vehicle. I use the cheap ones from harbor freight. Have used them extensively. Good for about 3-4 years, then the batteries take a shit. Good for multiple starts. I charge them about every 6 months of after a couple of uses. Mine also have USB, light and air pump. I always get style points when I break one out or my 18V impact wrench when somebody has a flat.

Not sure if they make one in digi-cam or with a picatinny rail.
Old 20 March 2019, 17:21
Another pool cleaner

TFG, I have the MicroStart XP-10.

Have used it to jump my land cruiser.

It has USB ports and small jumper cable attachment.

It stays charged via cigarette adapter.

I would get the updated HD version.

I have no experience in using a solar charger.
Old 20 March 2019, 18:27
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I use one at work, but it is a legacy sealed lead acid type. It works, but it is big and heavy compared to the lithium-ion packs.

Since you asked about new technology, you probably are interested in learning more about the newer lithium-ion packs. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, get one that has a large enough capacity to start the biggest vehicle you think you might ever need to jump start.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-portable-jump-starters-4140286

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/micro-starts/xp-10/
I found the lifewire sight this AM, It has some good information.
Old 20 March 2019, 19:20
Red Headed Stepchild

Haven't clicked all the links but mine seems to work fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYSWyHDpfU
Old 20 March 2019, 22:09
Been There Done That

I have one and it will not crank my dodge truck but will do my daughters Toyota and my 4 wheeler. I use mine for camping, light, charge phone, 110 power outlet. It is not solar.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 21 March 2019, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I have one in every vehicle. I use the cheap ones from harbor freight. Have used them extensively. Good for about 3-4 years, then the batteries take a shit.
Lithium cells don't like sitting for months, at full charge. Something like 80% is a lot easier on cells.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and don't mind fabricobbling
the case, you can probably replace the (LiPo?) original battery
with 18650's for $20 or less.
Old 21 March 2019, 05:10
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
TFG, I have the MicroStart XP-10.

Have used it to jump my land cruiser.

It has USB ports and small jumper cable attachment.
This is what I carry in the side bag of my bike. Used it three times, the wife left her bike's key on overnight, a Jeep Cherokee that had been sitting for months. Jumped both right off. Also charged a couple of iphones after a days ride. Don't know how long it holds a charge, time will tell on that one.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 21 March 2019, 08:37
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegnr View Post
I have one and it will not crank my dodge truck but will do my daughters Toyota and my 4 wheeler. I use mine for camping, light, charge phone, 110 power outlet. It is not solar.
The 110 is always interesting as I am in the process of putting 110 volt inverters in everything 12 volt. My Land Cruiser has a built in 110, but the tractor is next on the list. Which one do you have that has a 110 plug?
Old 21 March 2019, 10:17
Authorized Personnel

I've found that a long run with cheap a air/batt combo will/can burn out the little compressor.
Old 21 March 2019, 11:57
Been There Done That

Anyone have a recommendation on a solar cell trickle charger for a car battery? My truck sits for long periods of time when I travel overseas. Don’t need a full jump starter, just something to fight off the drain placed on the battery by my alarm system. I’d like to be able to place the cells on the roof rack, then run the wires to the battery or cigarette outlet plug.
Old 21 March 2019, 16:22
Been There Done That

Here is one I have been using for a while. I also have 5ea of them on work cars/trucks that we park for long times.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-...-1-spons&psc=1

For $36.00 you can not go wrong. I put them in the window and plug them in the lighter. Depending on the model some will not back feed through the lighter. All of mine are old enough they all work...
Old 21 March 2019, 21:36
Been There Done That

The power pack I use is a cobra CJIC 250. It has the 110 plug, Jump Start and air compressor. Believe it also has a USB plug. We use them a lot at tournaments for table lights during sign in.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 21 March 2019, 22:43
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Here is one I have been using for a while. I also have 5ea of them on work cars/trucks that we park for long times.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-...-1-spons&psc=1

For $36.00 you can not go wrong. I put them in the window and plug them in the lighter. Depending on the model some will not back feed through the lighter. All of mine are old enough they all work...
* Like* Also comes with the two Alligator clamps for Ciggy-lighters that aren't active during Key off mode.
Old 22 March 2019, 07:54
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegnr View Post
The power pack I use is a cobra CJIC 250. It has the 110 plug, Jump Start and air compressor. Believe it also has a USB plug. We use them a lot at tournaments for table lights during sign in.
I have one similar to this that I keep in my car now. I also move it around the farm when I don't want to haul the conventional 110 volt battery charger and extension cord around. The compressor is a plus.

Our new posting rules