SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 22 September 2015, 17:09
היה אישם עשה משהו

Yom Kippur 1973

Yom Kippur in Israel always brings up memories of the nearly being overrun at the beginning of the war in 1973. Much has been written, and I especially recommend (in English) Avigdor Kahalani's memoir 'The Heights of Courage'.

But someone probably not much known about outside Israel is Lt. Zvika Greengold. EVERY armored soldier and pretty much every combat soldier my generation or older in Israel knows his story. Truly a model of courage and determination and 'never quit'. The linked article is a bit bombastic; but I think he has his facts pretty much right. I hope it will interest one or two of you to look further at this man's story.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/greengold.html

Our house is just minutes down the road from Nafah Junction. Rough terrain. It boggles my mind how this guy and his sidekicks (when he had any) shuttled around in the dark, finding Syrian targets.
Old 22 September 2015, 18:29
Old and Grumpy

This was recently featured in "Greatest Tank Battles" on one of the history channels. The Lt. Was not mentioned. What was interesting was that the Syrian tanks had night vision optics while the Israeli tanks didn't.
Old 22 September 2015, 19:46
היה אישם עשה משהו

I found this more informative and normal article by an American officer:

http://www.ciar.org/ttk/mbt/armor/armor-magazine/armor-mag.2001.ma/2golan01.pdf

Our new posting rules