SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 23 February 2016, 11:33
Preparing to defend

Gulf War

25 years ago tonight, I flew across the border into Iraq with members of 1/5SF. How surreal the next 100 hours would be, with multiple missions deep into bad guy land. What awesome soldiers we supported.

One day, I will scan my pics from that little vacation and post them.
Old 23 February 2016, 15:04
A/1/75

Yes Please do!

Charlie
Old 23 February 2016, 18:00
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
25 years ago tonight, I flew across the border into Iraq with members of 1/5SF. How surreal the next 100 hours would be, with multiple missions deep into bad guy land. What awesome soldiers we supported.

One day, I will scan my pics from that little vacation and post them.
Remember that G.I. you flew over, the one taking a dump who looked up and waved at you?

That was me!

Definitely, post up some of your pics. 25 years ago, how time flies.
Old 23 February 2016, 19:12
BTDT

I have the opposite memories...rode across the border on a truck with 1st Brigade, 82nd, after sitting in the sand since early August and heard exactly two shots fired, an AD from a sister company in the attack position, and a 203 AD from someone in battalion at a temporary halt a day or so later...not my fondest times or memories.

Would love to see some pics of SF doing SF things at war from that era.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 23 February 2016, 19:37
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
I have the opposite memories...rode across the border on a truck with 1st Brigade, 82nd, after sitting in the sand since early August and heard exactly two shots fired, an AD from a sister company in the attack position, and a 203 AD from someone in battalion at a temporary halt a day or so later...not my fondest times or memories.

Would love to see some pics of SF doing SF things at war from that era.
Like calling in airstrikes on the back of an Egyptian Tank in PT greys. (It was really hot)
Old 23 February 2016, 20:33
BTDT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Like calling in airstrikes on the back of an Egyptian Tank in PT greys. (It was really hot)
Yes Sir, like that!

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 23 February 2016, 22:43
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
TFG, our mutual acquaintance who retired in 2014, got to get promoted from WO1(IIRC, maybe 2) to CPT overnight there to work with Syrians with his Team.

One day just before the air war started, in his Team's hooch at KKMC, he said that his Team was sent back from the Syrians cause they didn't need them to fight this war.

Didn't see him for a while, as when the air war started, our Bn. was busy doing CSAR and some other things. When I did see him, just before ground war, ran into him in the mess hall at KKMC. During the conversation I asked about the Syrians. Turns out after the AF started pounding the shit out of everything to their front, they sent an emergency call for the Team/Teams to please,come quick, please, come back!

From after war beer drinking with him, he shocked the shit out of me with the number of Syrian tanks that broke. He said he initially thought they were destroyed enemy vehicles, but they were his own! LOL

My fondest memory of KKMC though, was that beautiful sheep caged outside the mess hall!
Old 29 February 2016, 15:49

Some photos from the Gulf War

The next few posts will feature a number of photos taking both before and during Operation Desert Storm.

First up is a Huey flying north along Highway 8, pretty close to the deck as I recall. It seemed lower when I was there, actually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Huey on the deck- Hwy 8.jpg (23.0 KB, 298 views)
Old 29 February 2016, 15:51

Here's a Kiowa approaching our position near the border of Iraq probably about a couple of weeks before the ground war started.

It belonged to the 24th Division Cavalry troop, I'm pretty sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kiowa Scout helicopter near the border of Iraq.jpg (27.7 KB, 300 views)
Old 29 February 2016, 15:58

The top photo is the Bradley Scout Vehicle in which I accompanied the troop commander and crew of the cavalry unit I was temporarily attached to across the border sometime around February 10 on a recon. I took this picture about an hour after I'd taken my first shower in about 7 weeks with a shower bag attached to the side, and about 3 hours or so prior to the mission.

Not sure exactly how far we pushed into Iraq, mission duration was approximately 7 hours as I recall. And I can say with certainty that the Scout version of the Bradley is really only meant to accomodate its crew, although in a pinch you could probably stuff quite a few G.I.s in there like it was a clown car.

The bottom photo was taken the morning after we crossed back into Iraq, the 2 Abrams that provided overwatch. I'm not sure if there were any aviation elements taking part, such as a Kiowa or Cobra. I imagine they were up and ready to respond if we made any contact, I really was just along for the ride in the event we were able to capture somebody.
Old 29 February 2016, 16:09
Preparing to defend

Got a friend that flew Kiowas for Cav in 24th. 24th done good.
Old 29 February 2016, 16:24

jdog, you flew over it so you definitely could see just how desolate it was up there. Every time I see a picture of Mars, I think of many areas up around the border and in Iraq.

Here's another one taken shortly after we arrived at our last staging area near Rafha, not too far from the border. That's me on the left, we're just finishing up digging a position just deep and long enough to lay down flush with ground (or as near to it as we could).

That was a bitch, it was some kind of shale that was practically impervious to a shovel or entrenching tool. As for my buddy on the right, you can tell he is a southern boy. Cold just did not agree with him, and it was pretty chilly that afternoon. I was right in my element, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (35.4 KB, 290 views)
Old 29 February 2016, 19:58
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
TFG, our mutual acquaintance who retired in 2014, got to get promoted from WO1(IIRC, maybe 2) to CPT overnight there to work with Syrians with his Team.

One day just before the air war started, in his Team's hooch at KKMC, he said that his Team was sent back from the Syrians cause they didn't need them to fight this war.

Didn't see him for a while, as when the air war started, our Bn. was busy doing CSAR and some other things. When I did see him, just before ground war, ran into him in the mess hall at KKMC. During the conversation I asked about the Syrians. Turns out after the AF started pounding the shit out of everything to their front, they sent an emergency call for the Team/Teams to please,come quick, please, come back!

From after war beer drinking with him, he shocked the shit out of me with the number of Syrian tanks that broke. He said he initially thought they were destroyed enemy vehicles, but they were his own! LOL

My fondest memory of KKMC though, was that beautiful sheep caged outside the mess hall!
I was the mayor of KKMC for a while. I had some Finance detachment, I gave a cool bed and hot showers to the LTC that ran the Theater Area Support Group and had my own platoon of MP's. I never got out to the Syrians, but pretty much ran the rest of the line. Me and my suppressed M3......... Those were the days.
Old 1 March 2016, 11:30
Doc McNasty

I was with 1st Force, and was collocated with an SF team (515) for a month, living in the border posts in Saudi and babysitting some targets about 5km away. The very 1st night I was there, me and the team medic pulled a Saudi SF guys' tooth (it didn't turn out well). He ended up being my patrol buddy/freaky sadiqi for the rest of the time, after he got back from the dentist in Riyadh.
Old 2 March 2016, 00:01
Confirmed User

No DOD Gulf War Commemoration

there is the Vietnam War Commemoration http://www.vietnamwar50th.com/

And there was the Korean War commemoration committee at korea50.army.mil (web site down)
Old 2 March 2016, 09:37
Preparing to defend

Just thinking about that time.

I was outside the wire most every night, and a lot of times, behind Iraqi lines.

NOT. A. SINGLE. POWER. POINT. BRIEFING. GIVEN.

I wonder how we survived.

Made up for it the next decade, though.
Old 3 March 2016, 22:21
Confirmed User

1st Bn 1st Marines Scout Sniper Platoon task force Papa Bear. Those burning oils wells were hot and a bit messy to live in the middle of for four days. The Iraqis that were left behind as a rear guard were a bit annoying as well and slowed our push to Kuwait International Airport by about an hour.
Old 5 March 2016, 04:16
Been There Done That

1st Plt A Co 1/75, attached to B 1/75. Pounding sand at Arar airfield waiting for Norman to get us in the fight.

Karl Childers
Old 5 March 2016, 11:17
Preparing to defend

Arar was a desolate, desolate, place. Went there just a couple times. Our brothers from Campbell , whom you were probably with, played up there. Anderson's crash was a blow. Were you there that night?
Old 5 March 2016, 14:29
Been There Done That

Where are the pics you promised?

Our new posting rules