SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 19 August 2019, 09:38

How often do you clean your handgun

I have a SIG.365(no problems)& usually clean her after "every"range visit!I shoot at least once a week(retired & have the time).Have some friends that compete & they have NOT cleaned their guns after "months"of competing!!I asked "why not" are ya'll just lazy! They said their guns were more accurate by not cleaning! I don't understand this!!
Jim
Old 19 August 2019, 11:02
Confirmed User

I have shot pistol competitively for over 30 years, and I habitually clean them after being fired, whether that was one round or 200. Every once in a while I run into some dude that "never cleans his guns" because of some ignorant notion about accuracy. They are also the people 100x more likely to have a FTF, stovepipe, stuck mag, or unneeded tap-rack-bang drill. Their taped-together outfits and low personal-grooming standards coincide with the poor condition of their handguns. No respectable competitor I have ever met shot with dirty guns.

My dad beat into me a long time ago the concept of all gear, dogs and guns being cleaned and attended to before going to bed. That has carried over to the care of my weapons as an adult, both in and out of the military. Carry weapons get cleaned when I start to notice dust bunnies in the barrel, or if they get wet or excessively sweaty.

V/R,
Danny
Old 19 August 2019, 15:32
Been There Done That

It's a philosophy that goes back to the sniper / long range community in regards to the cold bore shot. For long range matches a competitor may choose not to clean their rifle until the match is over. Some people will fire a spotter round to foul the barrel after cleaning. I can't see any reason that it would apply to a handgun.

Last edited by Shark0311; 19 August 2019 at 15:40.
Old 19 August 2019, 17:57
Freelancer

When I used to own guns, I'd clean them after shooting or once a month.
Old 19 August 2019, 18:05
Red Headed Stepchild

Every 5 years whether they need it or not.
Old 19 August 2019, 18:08
Moving Target

I clean after everyday of shooting.
Old 19 August 2019, 18:13
On the Extract Bird

I generally clean them after any single day of firing. If I am going to be firing for two or three days or so, I will clean them when I am done with a light oiling in between shooting days.
Old 19 August 2019, 18:51
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Clifton View Post
I have a SIG.365(no problems)& usually clean her after "every"range visit!I shoot at least once a week(retired & have the time).Have some friends that compete & they have NOT cleaned their guns after "months"of competing!!I asked "why not" are ya'll just lazy! They said their guns were more accurate by not cleaning! I don't understand this!!
Jim
Should ask if they wear the same shirt and pants each competition too. Sounds suspiciously like Superstition. Nothing inherently wrong with that, just sounds like it to me.
Old 19 August 2019, 19:07
Make a desert and call it peace.

I clean my carry guns every other week or so. Usually right after I get rained on, and/or worked my ass off sweating like a pig. Get the lint, dust and filth out of everything. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 19 August 2019, 19:14
Legal Immigrant

Use it - clean it.
Don't use it - clean once a week.
Old 19 August 2019, 19:18
Been There Done That

I have a couple of Glocks. I didn't know they required cleaning? Aint boogered up once.

The shotguns are more prone to sit and get the humidy. Surface rust will grow like mold.

Karl Childers
Old 19 August 2019, 19:19
Authorized Personnel

Clean a lot more often than shoot, it's more like fondling.
Old 19 August 2019, 19:42
Confirmed User

Carry gun gets broken down and inspected weekly regardless of use. If dirty they get cleaned and oiled. Other guns that aren’t in the carry rotation get cleaned when I feel like it. Typically i’ll do a couple guns at a time with a cold beer.
Old 20 August 2019, 05:31
Confirmed User

You may clean it even if not used....
But you MUST take the habit of cleaning it each time you shoot it!
The simple fact that your life may depend on it should suffice to chase away any laziness to do it!

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 20 August 2019, 06:54
BTDT

If I only shoot a couple mags on a quick 'pop in' indoor session, I just leave it - any extended session and I will clean. It's obviously never 'wrong' to clean, but I do think it's not required as often as some people think, with a quality firearm. There's currently a BCM AR at 5,010 rounds without cleaning on the Military Arms Channel on YT.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 20 August 2019, 07:20
Administrator

Obsessively over cleaning your handgun is ridiculous.

The goal is to keep you weapons in the condition they need to be, so they function and have longevity. It's not about a white glove inspection.
Old 20 August 2019, 07:50
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post

The goal is to keep you weapons in the condition they need to be, so they function and have longevity. It's not about a white glove inspection.
^^^^This^^^^

Plus it is a bit of a PITA. Got better things to do.
Old 20 August 2019, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post

Yep, I have been shooting Production class on a national/international level with a Glock 17 for many years and I clean it periodically and before matches most often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glock.jpg (216.4 KB, 229 views)
Old 20 August 2019, 08:18
Authorized Personnel

Interesting premise... not cleaning guns due to accuracy. I can’t speak to that aspect. I’m not that much of a technical gun guy but not sure how not cleaning would add to accuracy. Maybe psychosomatic(you believe it, therefore it is) what ever helps you put lead on target...

I shot IDPA for a few years using a 1911 and my Glock 9mm. They were different categories so I could shoot both at the same match.

My 1911, I would clean after every match. It jammed a lot due to my use of aftermarket mags. Also, since I had wrist injuries, the recoil was also a culprit. Keeping it cleaned and oiled helped negate the jams. I have since bought good mags and changed my grip a little and now don’t have jams

My Glock, I hardly ever cleaned. Not because I was lazy or anything other than it never jammed. I shot all types of cheap ass ammo using aftermarket mags. My daughter, son and I went to an IDPA comp one day. We used the same pistol. We shot about 200 rounds apiece thru it. I then went another few comps before cleaning. It never jams-ever.

Now, I shoot every week(not competitions) and clean them every time. Not because I think they need them but because I have the time.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 20 August 2019, 08:44
Confirmed User

Re: Not cleaning improves accuracy...

False. What it DOES do is change your POI. For example, I cleaned a muzzleloader for a friend since he had neither the time or tools to do so. This barrel was literally caked from years of not cleaning. The owner boasted about how accurate it was, and I "better not do anything to change that". I told him prior to me cleaning it that he needed to take it back to the range after I was done to re-zero, and he asked why.

Well, with a constricted bore where the actual bullet does NOT properly or evenly engage the rifling, your POI will be different than with a clean gun. With a clean gun, your results will be more consistent, whether it drills holes at 100yds already or not. Until your rifling wears out of course.

Back to the muzzie barrel...This sucker was IMPOSSIBLE to push a proper brush through, too damn tight. I soaked her in Dawn soap and boiling water, and it removed 90% of the fouling, then the brush moved in with ease(side note, do NOT do this with a weapon that fires anything but black powder).

I properly cleaned the barrel, scoped it to check how bad the pitting was(another reason not to leave corrosive ass powder in the bottom of the barrel for extended periods), then gave it back to him. Well, he didn't heed my advice about re-zeroing, and shot 6" low(according to him) on a nice buck. Clean miss.

Moral of the story: Clean the damn things.

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke

Our new posting rules