SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 30 January 2017, 21:16
BTDT

Flight school.

I was in Korea in 1962-63, assigned to the 1/12th Cav, 1st Cav Div. At a morning company formation we were informed that a Helicopter would be landing on the parade ground, and that anyone who wanted to fly in that Helicopter, just needed to take a small test. I was eager to fly in a Chopper, which in this case happened to be an (OH-23D). So I took their test which I enjoyed, although the pictures of a railroad yard, from the top down with myriad variations of tracks going everywhere, and instructions to get from A-Z the most efficient way possible was pretty complex. I finished early, and the CWO behind the desk told me to sit back down and finish the test, that he was not giving a ride to anyone who did not complete the test. I assured him that I had finished. He put some form of paper with holes corresponding to the correct answers over my test, and asked me if I had taken the test before. Not possible. I eventually got the first ride, which was Beautiful...

So, two or three days later I was informed that I needed to get my shit together and report to the Div Cdr, asap. What had I done now? I didn't have a clue. The answer was obvious, but not to me. I kept thinking of all the shit I had pulled. My Div Cdr was MG Clifton F. von Kann, who had recently been CG of Ft Rucker, Mother Rucker home of Army Aviation. I reported to My CG still clueless, he stood up and shook my hand, telling me that I had achieved the highest test results thus far in the 8th Army on that test. That he was ready to pull strings, and insert me into an upcoming Flight Class, I needed to agree to go then and there. He had assumed that my Battle Group CO had informed me of his intentions. He had not. I was married at the time, and I couldn't sign up for a 6 year OBV w/out discussing it with my wife.

After returning to the States, I Eventually talked her into my going to Flight School. At that point, it was a long, difficult process. I think it took me a year and a half to be accepted. When I arrived at Ft Wolters, I was told that I would be going through the Fixed Wing course. I didn't want that, I wanted Helicopters, and I wanted to fly gunships in VN. So, I was required to sign away the fixed wing course. I was told that most people wanted the FW course.

My class started with 143 WOC's, approx a year later we graduated maybe 37. We took a written test just about daily, beginning at Ft Wolters Tx. With anything below a 70% on an exam being a flunking grade which required a face to face with your Tac Officer, if your performance was marginal, you could be sent packing. These test scores were cumulative, over the entire time in Flight School. Bust another test, and appearing before board of Officers was mandatory, with a good chance of being sent packing. Bust a third test, and you were gone, period. During the Ft Rucker phase of Tng, our tests were scored by a computer, which malfunctioned during the last two weeks of FS. At that time we had a few guys on the bubble, two busts. One of these gentlemen whose father was a 2, or 3 Star Air Force type was the commencement speaker at our graduation. I believe 2-3 people were stopped from walking across that stage, his son being one of them.

My arrival in VN, was, Hot, Humid. Waay hot, and Waay Humid, Brutal, and after deplaning we were left standing on the hot tarmac, which was ugly hot. The planeload of us were formed up and loaded into Buses to end up in a large tent at Camp Alpha. I don't recall any senior Officers with us at that time, they were undoubtedly in another tent, perhaps w/airconditioning.

I had one individual, an E-5, real sharp looking kid who obviously took pride in his uniform, who was noticeably fucking with me, staying in my shit for no obvious reason. So I called him over and told him that if he wanted to "f" with me, to get out from behind his clipboard, grow a set of balls, and I would meet him outside w/out any rank on my collar (Wobbly One wasn't much rank in the first place). He stormed out, and pretty soon a Lieutenant came in wanting to know why I was f'ing with his Sgt, "who had a hard enough job as it was". I smarted off with "Yeah carrying a clipboard in a war zone, that's tough indeed". He was not happy w/my response, and may have gotten his CPT involved, either way I was soon talking to a CPT.

"Does anyone know where this is going?".

The CPT explained that the young, sharp looking E-5 had just washed out of Flight School, and had immediately volunteered for VN...

Hell, if I had washed out of FS, I would have had the ass too. He didn't dislike me, he greatly resented the fact that I was wearing the wings that he never would.
Old 30 January 2017, 21:23
Newbie shooter

more please.

(thank you)

/ I'm far from the most successful here, but if you wanted to write a book I'd love to help fund it...
Old 30 January 2017, 21:27
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
more please.

(thank you)

/ I'm far from the most successful here, but if you wanted to write a book I'd love to help fund it...
Thank you. That's very nice.
Old 30 January 2017, 21:32
Been There Done That

Really appreciate your time on this and the other thread sharing your stories, your struggles. Thanks for keeping history alive for us.
Old 30 January 2017, 21:33
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Really appreciate your time on this and the other thread sharing your stories, your struggles. Thanks for keeping history alive for us.
Love you too, Brother.
Old 30 January 2017, 21:46
Been There Done That

All too common, still today. Flunkees hiding behind a clipboard. Good story.

Karl Childers
Old 30 January 2017, 23:01
Authorized Personnel

Awesome.
Old 31 January 2017, 00:38
RIP Cass and SOTB

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Our new posting rules