SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 December 2018, 14:28
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
your post
Fraud, waste, and abuse are a standard feature of bureaucracies but are the home territory of government bureaucracies. The larger outfit or the bigger the budget, the more mission creep will set in and the more waste that will accompany it. The feature more common to the military than to police agencies is an entrenched hierarchy of flag officers in the Pentagon who will shield their own fiefdoms from any cyclic downsizing, thus ensuring that any cuts are more likely to affect those who work in the field that those who live in offices.

Any adjustment in forces that does not address that problem first is guaranteed to decrease combat unit efficiency while magnifying problems that stem from bureaucracy. I had hoped that having Mattis as SecDef could lead to some improvement in the Pentagon's drag on performance in the field, but neither party in Congress wants to cut funding to anyone's district. A true restructuring of the military along the lines of most of the recommendations in this thread would first require an act of an unwilling Congress or an overthrow of the existing government. I doubt either will occur.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 December 2018, 13:00
Confirmed User

I wouldn't be in any rush to restructure the branches until we get a real DOD audit. And when DLA really passes a thorough audit hold Congress accountable itself or at least show some kind of gesture of taking responsibility by cutting pet pork contracts that are decades old.

Acquiring new weapon systems at a faster rate is an old problem that has to change. But just is old is autopilot resupply orders for stuff that isn't in service, going to be leaving the service, while there are shortfalls in supply for parts, gear, etc. that is actually in demand.

They need to prevent ordering and continuously stockpiling wiring harnesses for HMMWV's, I heard a figure that we had something like enough to last us another 20 years.

In addition to a more accurate audit, a real confidential tip line, with bonuses and percentage of money saved or recovered from theft, change of practice or whatever change is made. Incentivize waste and fraud from a loss prevention standpoint.
Old 10 December 2018, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
I Incentivize waste and fraud from a loss prevention standpoint.
Snitches get stitches and wind up in ditches. In the military, you get transferred to some place like Thule, Greenland.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 December 2018, 18:55
Confirmed User

procurement - something like this French agency, Direction générale de l'armement, the French governmental organization for defence procurement. THEY CAN SAY NO TO FRENCH LEGISLATORS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct...e_l%27armement

military officers - The British system of Sandhurst - one year wonder or the Israel way, the officers come from the enlisted rank. (Israel Air Force pilots are picked after a beating circle and the winner go on....)

Health. done - Defense Health Agency | Health.mil
https://health.mil/About-MHS/OASDHA/...-Health-Agency
The Defense Health Agency (DHA) is a joint, integrated Combat Support Agency that enables the Army, Navy, and Air Force medical services to
Old 10 December 2018, 19:02
Confirmed User

DOD Audit Done! most flunk IT

DoD Completes First Full Financial Statement Audit; Findings Will Directly Benefit Readiness
https://dod.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1692138/dod-completes-first-full-financial-statement-audit-findings-will-directly-benef/

DCAA and DCMA passed!?!?!?!
https://defensesystems.com/articles/2018/11/16/dod-audit-tech-woes.aspx

https://www.defenseone.com/topic/defensebudget/?oref=d-article-topics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
I wouldn't be in any rush to restructure the branches until we get a real DOD audit. And when DLA really passes a thorough audit hold Congress accountable itself or at least show some kind of gesture of taking responsibility by cutting pet pork contracts that are decades old.

Acquiring new weapon systems at a faster rate is an old problem that has to change. But just is old is autopilot resupply orders for stuff that isn't in service, going to be leaving the service, while there are shortfalls in supply for parts, gear, etc. that is actually in demand.

They need to prevent ordering and continuously stockpiling wiring harnesses for HMMWV's, I heard a figure that we had something like enough to last us another 20 years.

In addition to a more accurate audit, a real confidential tip line, with bonuses and percentage of money saved or recovered from theft, change of practice or whatever change is made. Incentivize waste and fraud from a loss prevention standpoint.
Old 10 December 2018, 20:29
BTDT

The military is a tool of the state. First you need to define what role you want the US to have internationally. Then tailor the military to meet that goal. Having a discussion about what the military should be without defining the role is pointless. A gun suitable for concealed carry isn’t what you need for deer hunting in Pennsylvania, shooting skeet or winning a 1000 yard match. The military is no different. If we are content to be isolationist and let Russia and China have a bigger international presence, we can get by with less (for a while). If we want to be able to take on several major powers and/or be the world’s protector, we need substantially more.
Old 10 December 2018, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila175 View Post
The military is a tool of the state. First you need to define what role you want the US to have internationally. Then tailor the military to meet that goal. Having a discussion about what the military should be without defining the role is pointless. A gun suitable for concealed carry isn’t what you need for deer hunting in Pennsylvania, shooting skeet or winning a 1000 yard match. The military is no different. If we are content to be isolationist and let Russia and China have a bigger international presence, we can get by with less (for a while). If we want to be able to take on several major powers and/or be the world’s protector, we need substantially more.
Amen. The happy medium between those two extremes seems hard to find.

Old 11 December 2018, 13:09
BTDT

Not only do the tools need to match the job - we also need to keep in mind that the military is made up of citizens.

If you have fucked up citizens - you are ultimately going to end up with a fucked up military and all of the reorganization in the galaxy will not help. Our current citizenry doesn't have the collective stomach to live such a reality.

Heinlein's society sounds great to a Sci-Fi movie buff - but our society is made up of people that want a caravan of illegal immigrants to get free admission as well as free room and board.
...and instead of calling them "civilians" we have senior members of congress demanding that they be given carte-blanche citizenship.

Heinlein society indeed -I imagine the "Sgt Zim" would have a fucking stroke if he existed in modern day America.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 11 December 2018, 13:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
DOD Audit Done! most flunk IT

DoD Completes First Full Financial Statement Audit; Findings Will Directly Benefit Readiness
https://dod.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1692138/dod-completes-first-full-financial-statement-audit-findings-will-directly-benef/

DCAA and DCMA passed!?!?!?!
https://defensesystems.com/articles/2018/11/16/dod-audit-tech-woes.aspx

https://www.defenseone.com/topic/defensebudget/?oref=d-article-topics
Most people think they failed the audit.
Old 12 December 2018, 13:33
Confirmed User

Relevant article about military culture, missions, and funding; also a glimpse into what could happen again:

https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...ea_114023.html
Old 12 December 2018, 14:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Relevant article about military culture, missions, and funding; also a glimpse into what could happen again:

https://www.realcleardefense.com/art...ea_114023.html
Thanks that was a good read.

I don't see Space Force happening, the administration seems open to a "Space Corps" within the Air Force. There are some in congress that want to bring back a version of US Space Command, which would require amending Goldwater-Nichols, unified commands are capped at 10 and that's a contributing factor that brought us to where we are now IMO.
Old 12 December 2018, 18:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Not only do the tools need to match the job - we also need to keep in mind that the military is made up of citizens.

If you have fucked up citizens - you are ultimately going to end up with a fucked up military and all of the reorganization in the galaxy will not help. Our current citizenry doesn't have the collective stomach to live such a reality.
I have to agree. I have a strong sense that everyone should serve without exception — especially the children of politicians. The Swiss system makes sense to me. Pare down the active duty side and draft everyone and you stay in the reserves until you are 60. It probably doesn't work both with the quality of our culture, but it seems like it would be a positive influence.
Old 12 December 2018, 19:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
everyone should serve without exception
I think universal military service won't work in America for two reasons. For one, it would be cost-prohibitive to get everyone through boot camp and some sort of individual job training. Heck, just buying uniforms for everyone would cost a shit ton of money. Secondly, I believe that (like Heinlein argued) you can't force people to place society before their own personal interest. Some people are just going to be takers, not givers.

I do like the ideal of universal service; maybe it can be extended to community-type deals like environmental conservation work in parks and forests or teaching in challenged areas.

Our new posting rules