SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 20 May 2016, 12:15
Conquer Life.

Bush Center W100K Mountain Bike Ride

Any mountain bikers in here? If you are or know anyone who is active-duty, retired, medically retired, or honorably discharged and has been wounded or injured (including documented invisible wounds, such as TBI or PTS) in post 9/11 military service and is an intermediate to advanced mountain biker – It's time to apply for the W100K! Applications are due July 10!

This is an amazing opportunity put on by the Bush Center's Military Service Initiative and includes the opportunity bike, joke and share some good laughs with former President Bush. It is an experience you will never forget. More info below. Feel free to PM me with questions, if you wish.

Travel and other costs are covered by the Bush Institute.

W100K: http://www.bushcenter.org/explore-ou...s/w-100-k.html

MSI: http://www.bushcenter.org/explore-ou...nitiative.html

Quote:
About the W100K

Every year, approximately 20 servicemen and women wounded in the global war on terror join President George W. Bush for a 100-kilometer mountain bike ride. Part of the Bush Institute's Military Service Initiative, the W100K highlights the bravery and sacrifice of warriors and recognizes organizations that support America’s veterans.
For wounded warriors from America’s military, spending a weekend riding mountain bikes in the Warrior 100K will offer an opportunity to meet other veterans, share meals, share life stories, as well as ride and cross the finish line with their former commander-in-chief.

APPLICATIONS OPEN FOR THE 2016 W100K
The 2016 W100K will be held September 29 - October 1, 2016 in Crawford, Texas. Intermediate to advanced amateur mountain bikers injured in post-9/11 military service are invited to apply.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 16 May 2019, 14:27
Conquer Life.

2019 Applications are open

Read more and apply at this link

Quote:
The 2019 W100K will be held November 8 and 9. Applications are open through July 31, 2019.

Criteria for consideration to be selected:
  • Be wounded or injured in post-9/11 service (this includes visible and invisible wounds)
  • Be active-duty, retired, or honorably discharged
  • Be an intermediate to advanced mountain bike rider

The events amplify and draw attention to the service, sacrifice, and resilience of post-9/11 warriors and their families, particularly the issues they face in making a successful transition to civilian life.
This is a great opportunity to meet fellow vets (SOF and conventional), make some lifelong friends and watch GWB 43 pop a wheelie... seriously, the dude can ride.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 16 May 2019, 17:13
Been There Done That

Are you going to be there this year?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 19 May 2019, 03:20
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Are you going to be there this year?
No, I won't be able to make it out this year. But there will be some top-notch folks joining. You should consider it man, it's a good time.

Related Socnet thread for anyone who is interested in joining or sharing with a friend: link

Old 19 May 2019, 05:22
Confirmed User

If you haven't been wounded is that a disqualifier?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 19 May 2019, 15:27
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
If you haven't been wounded is that a disqualifier?
No; you do not have to have been physically wounded.

I was never physically wounded, but had some really shitty combat experiences that led me to a bad spot a few years ago. This program combined with real hard work and actually following professional advice changed my life in a big way. Same for many others.

Happy to answer any questions via PM or public if you wish.

Old 19 May 2019, 19:05
Authorized Personnel

I'm too fluffy and husky for this. Seems like a great event.
Old 20 May 2019, 06:33
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
I'm too fluffy and husky for this. Seems like a great event.
Hey bro, the leader of the pack is 72y/o and on medicare :P If you're too fluffy to keep up with him, maybe some mountain biking is exactly what you need

Seriously though, you'll be fine. They usually sort of split into groups of varying levels of experience and fitness and everyone has a really good time.

Besides, I'm sure Dubya would love to see ya again!

Our new posting rules