SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 July 2018, 19:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I've never been claustrophobic at all. But fuck that shit. All of it. Fuck it all to death.

I'm all about saving people that need to be saved, but crawling through something like that, while underwater, in the pitch black ---- Yeah hey kids look here's the deal......we're gonna be pumping air in here for y'all and getchya food and water, but I hope you got some card games you can play because it looks like you're gonna be here a while.
Hate to sound harsh, but I kind of agree with you. You kids and your coach were dumbasses disregarding the warning signs - now one rescue member is dead. Food, air, water hauled to you on a rope for several months until the water subsides and you can crawl your asses put the same way you got in. If that is an option. I am sure this option is being considered.

If not an option then rescue away, and prosecute the coach. Don't care if he has been honorable with the kids since in the cave, but they should have never been in that spot to begin with. I once had a medic in Iraq that had an ND with his 9mm and blew the jaw off one of our Sri Lankans. The medic did a great job after the ND administrating emergency trauma care, getting him on a medevac, etc. He still got fired and sent home though for his initial ND fuck up.

Last edited by leopardprey; 7 July 2018 at 19:26.
Old 7 July 2018, 19:16
Life is simple, not easy.

Some schematics I found. The "Tham Luang Cave Complex" schematic shows one of the openings they need to pass through is > 1M (0.72M).

And 3 hours for underwater swimming, with little to no visibility, with a group of boys who most, if not all, don't know how to swim. I do not understand what air pockets would do to the water level if they drill down, but I have read that is the risk of drilling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DhTJSjhU0AEHcy1.jpg (57.7 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg DhcCpeJVAAAvw8U.jpg (27.3 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg DhVvnyqUcAAPq8W.jpg (41.6 KB, 410 views)
Old 7 July 2018, 19:45
Authorized Personnel

I'm mostly okay in confined spaces, until I start thinking. Once, in a training class, I was the victim. I was in an APR mask, immobilized in an LSP and Sked, getting dragged through a tunnel so small my shoulders were rubbing on the sides. Not a fun 15 minutes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Like some here, the older I got claustrophobic set in. Now I need a damned Valium for MRIs.
I have fallen asleep in the machine...
Old 7 July 2018, 20:06
Confirmed User

They'd know whats ahead of them on the way out as they crawled through it all previously on the way up. The kids look so scrawny they might squeeze through easier than the bigger body Brit divers who found them in the first place?
Old 7 July 2018, 22:11
The atomic zit

Last edited by Stretch; 7 July 2018 at 22:14. Reason: Double tap
Old 7 July 2018, 22:13
The atomic zit

Dangerous,

Recently found out my father is claustrophobic...

But in the MRI tube, all he needs is his GF holding onto his toe. YEMV...
Old 8 July 2018, 01:39
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Some schematics I found. The "Tham Luang Cave Complex" schematic shows one of the openings they need to pass through is > 1M (0.72M).

And 3 hours for underwater swimming, with little to no visibility, with a group of boys who most, if not all, don't know how to swim. I do not understand what air pockets would do to the water level if they drill down, but I have read that is the risk of drilling.
Take a clear plastic cup and push it upside down into a sink full of water until 3/4 of cup is submerged. Note where the water level inside the cup is (hint: it will be lower than the surface of the water in the sink). Now poke a hole in the top of the cup and watch what happens to the water level in the cup (the water level in the cup will rise to the same level as the water surface outside the cup). That's what may happen in the cave if they drill into it.

Essentially, when any liquid is added to an area of fixed volume, it will compress the air in the container until the air pressure and water pressure are equalized. That's the current situation in the cave--water pressure and air pressure are at equilibrium. But add more water and the air will compress more (the air bubble will decrease in volume), or lower air pressure by poking a hole in the top of the bubble, and water will flow in until gas and water pressure reach equilibrium again. Problem is, equilibrium once you open a hole in the cave is essentially 1 atmosphere of pressure, which means that a vacuum will exist that suck water into the air bubble.
Old 8 July 2018, 01:52
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
I'm amazed they manage to squeeze thru any opening given the size of their balls.
That's signature line stuff right there!

I pray for these kids, families and rescue personnel. Everyone involved at the site are doing what only a handful in the entire world can do. Nothing but prayers and respect.

I will not be surprised if there are volunteers to stay with the coach and kids should it come down to the worse case scenario and monsoon rains start falling.
Old 8 July 2018, 02:16
Livin' On Blues Power

Bryan Suits is saying the Thais have moved the press perimeter back 1 mile and have started the rescue to swim them out. Full face masks. Thais brought in several dozen dive teams trained up to do this rescue.
Old 8 July 2018, 04:37
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
prosecute the coach
Having both parents as retired qualified teachers, I agree.

One of duties of the teacher is to never endanger lives and well-being of kids that he has in his care. To think ahead, plan ahead and keep the kids away from trouble. This obviously applies to anyone who has kids under his care.

We are all human and do make mistakes - however, taking kids to such a deep cave complex that has warning signs and could turn into a death trap, all of this during monsoon season - it's IMO way too much and someone could call it maximum irresponsibility, if not stupidity.
Old 8 July 2018, 07:56
Authorized Personnel

Multiple news outlets reporting first 2 are out.
Old 8 July 2018, 09:41
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
Multiple news outlets reporting first 2 are out.
CBS is now reporting 4 kids out. Great news.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/th...es-2018-07-08/

Last edited by ramzmedic; 8 July 2018 at 09:49.
Old 8 July 2018, 09:48
I really don't care

Accidental double tap.
Old 8 July 2018, 09:57
Life is simple, not easy.

Thank Azatty. Appreciate the explanation.

Four boys out per Thai Navy SEAL's. Good news!
Old 8 July 2018, 10:33
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
CBS is now reporting 4 kids out. Great news
I pray they outrun incoming rain. Still eight minors plus coach to be rescued. Fingers crossed.
Old 8 July 2018, 10:53
I really don't care

Six out! Halfway home!

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/first-tw...way-right-now/
Old 8 July 2018, 13:02
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Sounds like they are progressing at a pretty good pace, last report I heard after they reported 4 boys had come out was that they were going to regroup and refit and might not make any more attempts for 6-8 hours.

Looks like they decided to push ahead, which is great news. As each rescue is completed, they get a better idea of what pitfalls presented the greatest challenge and are better prepared for each attempt.

Considering the rain is starting to fall, and the oxygen levels are dropping rapidly, they probably figured it best to get on with things as quickly as possible after each trip.
Old 8 July 2018, 18:31
Confirmed User

The news is reporting that the rescue was conducted by 13 foreign divers supported by five Thais and the same 13 will be doing all the rescues.
Old 8 July 2018, 18:45
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

That makes sense, continuity and what surfers like to call "local knowledge" will make each successive rescue safer, although given all that's transpired over the past couple of weeks the margin for error is still pretty slim.

chiseling out the various chokepoints and passageways appears to have paid huge dividends.
Old 8 July 2018, 19:38
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
chiseling out the various chokepoints and passageways appears to have paid huge dividends.
After seeing the photo posted of the guy getting through the small space, hell yeah. Make that whole larger!

Question for any spelunkers, cave divers, etc.

Is it legal for a rec diver to enlarge a passage? If you're slivering through a channel and you find a small hole with air blowing out of it, can you enlarge the hole to go investigate it? Are there divers' codes or accepted sport standards that keep that from happening? It seems that if it was legal to do it the caves with such small passages would have been taken care of already by energetic and curious divers.

My guess is you steel balls types prefer the passage to remain as Mother Nature made it. For rec diving, not emergencies.

Our new posting rules