SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 April 2019, 00:10
I've got a gun too, mf'er

It was Ovi's 4th career fight. Basically a fight between 2 guys who have no idea how to hockey fight. Unfortunately for Svechnikov, Ovi is a 6'3", 235 guy who doesn't know how to hockey fight. I'd rather fight Wilson than Ovi.

Carolina has outworked the Caps through all 4 games. Hopefully the Caps will show up for game 5.

I expected the Isles to beat the Pens, but not with the sweep. My bracket had Boston crushing Tampa in the second round. Very impressive performance by Torts' guys in CBJ.

Pulling for VGK and STL in the West.
And COL, who are about to knock out another 1 seed and be the first to advance.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 20 April 2019, 20:43
Confirmed User

I admit I know very little about hockey officiating, but I do know a thing about personalities. It's clear that Ovechkin gets defferential treatment, just like Tom Brady, just like any great pitcher, just like LeBron.
Old 21 April 2019, 18:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
It was Ovi's 4th career fight. Basically a fight between 2 guys who have no idea how to hockey fight. Unfortunately for Svechnikov, Ovi is a 6'3", 235 guy who doesn't know how to hockey fight. I'd rather fight Wilson than Ovi.

Carolina has outworked the Caps through all 4 games. Hopefully the Caps will show up for game 5.

I expected the Isles to beat the Pens, but not with the sweep. My bracket had Boston crushing Tampa in the second round. Very impressive performance by Torts' guys in CBJ.

Pulling for VGK and STL in the West.
And COL, who are about to knock out another 1 seed and be the first to advance.
Well, they sure as shit showed up for Game 5. I'll be there at game 6. The tix on SeatGeek kept going up in real time during game 4 as it became clear the Canes would win. Cost me $200 a seat for nosebleeds. We had over 19K fans in the house for game 4- which eclipsed even the stanley cup run in '06. Seems 10 years without playoffs have fired things up in Raleigh. They have been blocking off a street for each game downtown for festivities so far.
19 Oct 2017
Old 21 April 2019, 19:19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Well, they sure as shit showed up for Game 5.
That is a no shitter.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 April 2019, 22:28
Life is simple, not easy.

The end of the 1 OT of this VGK vs SJS game was crazy. We head to the 2 OT still tied 1-1. NHL Playoffs are crazy good times. Wow!
Old 21 April 2019, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
The end of the 1 OT of this VGK vs SJS game was crazy. We head to the 2 OT still tied 1-1. NHL Playoffs are crazy good times. Wow!
There was about 90 seconds there with around 2 minutes left that was on fire.

6-0 was exactly what I wanted for my birthday. My actual material present was Game 2 tickets, which was a win, but nothing like Game 5.
Canes and their fans will be fired up for Game 6. Hope the Caps bring their A game on the road this time. The way these two teams play, first goal is very important in this series.
- Bootsy Collins
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 21 April 2019, 23:05

Oof, what an awful goal for VGK.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 21 April 2019, 23:08

2-1 SJS beats VGK in 2OT. Series tied 3-3, after we had a 3-1 series lead.

Now it is down to 1 game on their home ice. 59 shots and we just couldn't close them out.

On to San Jose and the Shark Tank.
We got this!
Old 22 April 2019, 21:39

With that half-assed effort, Caps would have needed some luck to win. That overturned goal was their last chance.
Watching them not give 100% is so frustrating. I'll never understand why teams aren't as desperate to win a series as they are not to lose.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 22 April 2019, 23:01
Been There Done That

CANES!!! Wooooo!

Mr. Game 7 leads the crew up to DC on Wed.
19 Oct 2017
Old 22 April 2019, 23:58
Confirmed User

Preds were last during the regular season on the power play and went 0-15 in the series. That was an exciting OT period and I hate they lost, but Dallas outplayed them and deserved it.
Old 23 April 2019, 11:11
Been There Done That

I think this 1st round is a testament to how great this sport is. You have two of the favorites swept, and now you've got 4 other series going to game 7. The parity between teams and the fact that once the playoffs start, nearly anything can happen.

Compare that with basketball or baseball, where you know your team is doomed from the get-go and you pretty much know who is going to be playing for the title, especially when it comes to NBA.
19 Oct 2017
Old 23 April 2019, 11:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
CANES!!! Wooooo!

Mr. Game 7 leads the crew up to DC on Wed.
Odd are in the Hurricanes' favor.

My nephew's boss has tix about two rows behind the Canes bench; he's been taking my nephew to the playoff games. Before two weeks ago my nephew had no knowledge of anything hockey. He's all-in now.
Old 23 April 2019, 11:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Odd are in the Hurricanes' favor.

My nephew's boss has tix about two rows behind the Canes bench; he's been taking my nephew to the playoff games. Before two weeks ago my nephew had no knowledge of anything hockey. He's all-in now.
When I picked Canes in 7 on a hockey message board, due to their history with Game 7 heroics (2006- beat Sabres and Oilers in 7, 2009- beat Devils and Bruins in 7), and Caps history with choking in game 7 (with the exception of the previous season, of course), I got my balls busted as "nobody is still on the team from that era".

I do believe that teams fall into certain patterns of behavior, however. The "Cardiac Canes" tend to be mediocre during the regular season, and on the rare occasions that they make the playoffs they go buck wild, while other teams (Caps and Sharks, notably) are unstoppable in the regular season but then something happens in the playoffs.

The Caps are the better team- but the Canes have their mojo, their hard working rookies, and Rod Brind'Amour, who has turned out to be an amazing coach.
19 Oct 2017
Old 23 April 2019, 12:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
When I picked Canes in 7 on a hockey message board, due to their history with Game 7 heroics (2006- beat Sabres and Oilers in 7, 2009- beat Devils and Bruins in 7), and Caps history with choking in game 7 (with the exception of the previous season, of course), I got my balls busted as "nobody is still on the team from that era".

I do believe that teams fall into certain patterns of behavior, however. The "Cardiac Canes" tend to be mediocre during the regular season, and on the rare occasions that they make the playoffs they go buck wild, while other teams (Caps and Sharks, notably) are unstoppable in the regular season but then something happens in the playoffs.

The Caps are the better team- but the Canes have their mojo, their hard working rookies, and Rod Brind'Amour, who has turned out to be an amazing coach.
Brind'Amour has me watching again. He's a helluva coach, and is setting the foundation for continued success.

I agree re: 'patterns'. When they make the playoffs, they let it all hang out. This is a fun team to watch.
Old 23 April 2019, 23:14

Yep. Both teams bring their A game, Caps are the odds-on favorites.
But the Caps have only brought their A game once in the first 6 (admittedly it was an A+ game, but that hardly makes up for a bunch of B- and worse efforts), which definitely favors the Canes.
The narrative is going to be excruciating.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited by Baildog; 23 April 2019 at 23:23.
Old 24 April 2019, 00:28

I see the NHL has piss poor playoff officiating just like the NFL. That call against VGK shouldn't have been 2:00 let alone 5:00. In that penalty time SJS flipped the script from down 3-0 to up 4-3.
Old 24 April 2019, 06:17

Damn.
Went to sleep at the end of the second period. Wow.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 24 April 2019, 21:41

Laziness and arrogance just don't win many hockey games. Another half-assed effort from the Caps so far. You can't play one period and then just coast the rest fo the game. First line is the only line that kept playing after the first.
Wonder if they'll look in the mirror at any point.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited by Baildog; 24 April 2019 at 21:50.
Old 24 April 2019, 22:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
Laziness and arrogance just don't win many hockey games. Another half-assed effort from the Caps so far. You can't play one period and then just coast the rest fo the game. First line is the only line that kept playing after the first.
Wonder if they'll look in the mirror at any point.
Regardless of the outcome, you cant take away from either team- it is clear they have both played their hearts out. Carolina does this to teams- they take them deep, and then finish them in OT. Like the "Shock at the Rock" or "The Miracle at Molson". I just hope they still have the same Cardiac Cane mojo of last decade in them.
19 Oct 2017

Our new posting rules