SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 24 April 2019, 22:16
The atomic zit

Looks like overtime for the Canes and the Caps.

Next up is 20 minute periods, ad nausea. I searched and could not tell if this is a sudden death situation. Who knows more than I do about current hockey rules?
Old 24 April 2019, 22:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Looks like overtime for the Canes and the Caps.

Next up is 20 minute periods, ad nausea. I searched and could not tell if this is a sudden death situation. Who knows more than I do about current hockey rules?
Jesus christ, yes it is sudden death.
19 Oct 2017
Old 24 April 2019, 22:26
The atomic zit

He got nothing to do with it!

That’s what I remember. I’m kind of sucking hind tit since I don’t have a superduper NHL package.
Old 24 April 2019, 23:06
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Regardless of the outcome, you cant take away from either team- it is clear they have both played their hearts out. Carolina does this to teams- they take them deep, and then finish them in OT. Like the "Shock at the Rock" or "The Miracle at Molson". I just hope they still have the same Cardiac Cane mojo of last decade in them.
Carolina has played well.
The Caps came out great, then stopped moving their feet and went into passive mode, hoping to win 2-1. They made some effort at teh end of regulation, but all-in-all after 80 minutes on the clock, I'd say the Caps have put in about 30 minutes. It's so frustrating to watch.
Carolina owned the first OT. they have nothing to lose; whereas the Caps go back to abysmal failure if they lose this tonight. Almost completely wipes out last year.

At this point, you have to figure if the Caps win it's pure luck (hell, the fact they took it to 7 is pure luck ... They really did not show up for this series).
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 24 April 2019, 23:32

What a pathetic effort. Not the biggest choke job (of the last 2 days, even), but still, Choking Dogs.

Fucking LOSERS.
- Bootsy Collins
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 25 April 2019, 08:18
Confirmed User

Holy SHIT what a game. The Canes looked a bit shell-shocked in the first period, but when they got their shit together, they played extremely well.
Old 25 April 2019, 08:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
Carolina has played well.
The Caps came out great, then stopped moving their feet and went into passive mode, hoping to win 2-1. They made some effort at teh end of regulation, but all-in-all after 80 minutes on the clock, I'd say the Caps have put in about 30 minutes. It's so frustrating to watch.
Carolina owned the first OT. they have nothing to lose; whereas the Caps go back to abysmal failure if they lose this tonight. Almost completely wipes out last year.

At this point, you have to figure if the Caps win it's pure luck (hell, the fact they took it to 7 is pure luck ... They really did not show up for this series).
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the Canes are one of the youngest teams in the league, and the Caps have a lot of older dudes. When you are in the 2nd OT, those young legs make a big difference.

Anyway- on to Long Island to face my hometown team. Already being called a "traitor" by old friends, despite the fact that I've lived in NC for twice as long as I did on Long Island. 😡
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 69144210-B5EE-44D7-99C0-28CB88BEBFA2.jpeg (20.3 KB, 125 views)
19 Oct 2017
Old 25 April 2019, 10:14

Quote:
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the Canes are one of the youngest teams in the league, and the Caps have a lot of older dudes. When you are in the 2nd OT, those young legs make a big difference.

Anyway- on to Long Island to face my hometown team. Already being called a "traitor" by old friends, despite the fact that I've lived in NC for twice as long as I did on Long Island. 😡
They let off the gas about 40 minutes before the first OT even started. I think it was strategy more than conditioning. Just like in Games 1, 2, and 6 (in particular), Caps came out playing "Caps hockey," the way that has worked for them, and then once they got the lead, pumped the brakes and switched to a strategy of trying to hold the puck along the boards below the cirlcle and behind the net, without ever getting it out in front of the net. Totally passive at both ends of the rink. They played it out the same way throughout the entire series. It was just luck that they won games 1 and (especially) 2. They learned nothing whatsoever from either last year or from Game 5.

It makes me worry that a) Trotz actually made a difference, and b) regardless of whether he did or not, the narrative will now be that he did, and they are back to being chokers.

It is the fact that they so obviosuly underperformed (again) that makes it aggravating. I didn't necessarily expect them to actually go back-to-back, but I hoped to see some indication that last year wasn't a fluke. All-in-all, this was a disgusting all-around effort (although certain individuals played extremely well ... can't blame the first line) that undoes a lot of the good feeling that finally came last year after 30 years of abject futility.
Should have known better. At least I won't have to spend money on finals tickets this year.

At this point, I'm left rooting for the Blues to beat the Isles in the Cup Finals.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 25 April 2019, 10:29
Life is simple, not easy.

Both Stanley Cup teams from 2018 are out in the 1st round. I guess as a newcomer to NHL playoffs I should get used to the fact that it is a crazy time and anything can happen.
Old 25 April 2019, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Both Stanley Cup teams from 2018 are out in the 1st round. I guess as a newcomer to NHL playoffs I should get used to the fact that it is a crazy time and anything can happen.
This year is totally nuts.
  • Record-setting Lightning team ... swept ... by a team that has literally never won anything, in its entire existence.
  • Perennial darlings Pens team ... swept, with Crosby held to 1 meaningless assist.
  • All 4 division winners ... golfing after the first round, while all 4 wild cards advance.
  • Both defending Conference champs ... totally blow it in OT of Game 7s that never should have happened in the first place.

Craziness.

I actually heard someone on the radio complaining about all the upsets, saying the NBA is much better, where you pretty much know in advance exactly who is going to win.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 25 April 2019, 10:42

About the only thing that went to script was Toronto losing to Boston.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 25 April 2019, 11:27
Policeman Officer

Quote:
I've declared a buddy who moved to NC from Mass excommunicado over this issue. How the fuck can he support the Whalers.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 April 2019, 02:20
Livin' On Blues Power

I hate the guppies beating Vegas but my blues need payback for 2001 and Owen Nolans shot from center ice. Its like the Cubs goat thing, it has to be exorcised for the Blues to win the cup

Bobby Eyebrows (Fabbri) is back for the Blues, 2 ACLs in less then 2 years and he still the fastest on the ice. Got a goal tonight.

Marchand is such a POS. I love the Bs but hate that guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dear_baby_jesus_win_cup_will_ferris.jpg (32.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 26 April 2019, 08:43
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
Its like the Cubs goat thing.
My buddy and former roommate is a Cubs and Blues fan and he said the same thing. So I suppose I'm pulling for STL since VGK is eliminated.
Old 26 April 2019, 13:19

I'm so disgusted I actually watched the NFL draft rather than hockey last night.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 26 April 2019, 18:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I've declared a buddy who moved to NC from Mass excommunicado over this issue. How the fuck can he support the Whalers.
The Hurricanes have been along longer at this point than the Whalers ever were, you old prick.
19 Oct 2017
Old 26 April 2019, 19:48

Quote:
The Hurricanes have been along longer at this point than the Whalers ever were, you old prick.
Yeah, but the Whale still has a cooler logo.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 26 April 2019, 21:23
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Not in this house!!!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 27 April 2019, 15:15
Livin' On Blues Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
My buddy and former roommate is a Cubs and Blues fan and he said the same thing. So I suppose I'm pulling for STL since VGK is eliminated.
This is not possible in this universe. No Blues fan would root for the Cubs. Its like crossing the streams.
Old 27 April 2019, 18:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
Yeah, but the Whale still has a cooler logo.
Nonsense. This is our new logo, BTW.

We do however play in the Whalers uniforms twice a year against the Bruins, which drives a lot of people crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: png A611CBE6-58AE-4167-8BF8-AC79E05409A0.png (933.5 KB, 80 views)
19 Oct 2017

Our new posting rules