SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 December 2018, 12:05
Combat Dorito

Who the F$%k is Scott Campbell

Got notified of this by a coworker. This appears on the TAD Gear website.

“Almost exactly ten years ago, I wandered onto Bagram Air Force base looking to tattoo people that really needed tattoos. I was frustrated with what tattooing had become in pop culture. I felt like my oldest friend was being beaten to death by reality shows and Hot Topic. I wanted to go as far as I could in the other direction and put my hands to use serving a real, primal emotional purpose. I figured Bagram was a good place to hang out with, and offer my services to, people who's shit was truly hitting the fan. It took me about 12 hours of wandering the base to run into a rescue unit known as the the PJ's (Para Jumpers).

I was immediately humbled by their tired eyes, and they've been a huge part of my life ever since that day. MSgt. Roger Sparks was the first of the PJ team I met, and when I shook his hand, he had only been back on the ground a few minutes from Operation : Bulldog Bite. (You can and should google the operation, it was a complete shit show, and he and the team were still covered in American blood and guts since it was their job to fix people and things when things go wrong.) Anyway... Roger walked me into their barracks as if i was family, and I tattooed him and the whole team day and night for the next week. I ended up leaving them my tattoo gear to play with and helped Rog learn how to properly tattoo when he got back stateside. He tattoos daily up in Anchorage Alaska, where he is based and does mountain rescue with the PJ's there. He has dragged my civilized ass all over the Alaskan backcountry, and taught me how to do countless manly things that I missed out on growing up. He's inspired me in many ways over the years. This collaboration being one of them...." - Scott Campbell
Old 19 December 2018, 12:16
Six Minutes!

I don't know who Scott Campbell is, but I know that Roger Sparks is legit. I went to his Silver Star ceremony, and he jumped out of my jet.

He does also have a tattoo shop up here.
http://www.rogersparks.net/

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 19 December 2018, 13:09
Unemployed Stunt Double

Seemed like there was a big effort to keep folks from wandering on to Bagram Air Base. Hescos, wire, interlocking fields of fire, ISR, the whole shebang. Scott Campbell is the real deal, I suppose, if he wandered past all that.
Old 19 December 2018, 13:31
Been There Done That

Dammit, my bsckscatters must of missed one!
Old 19 December 2018, 14:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
I don't know who Scott Campbell is, but I know that Roger Sparks is legit. I went to his Silver Star ceremony, and he jumped out of my jet.

He does also have a tattoo shop up here.
http://www.rogersparks.net/
I did a deployment with him in 98-99 when he was a Recon Marine. Solid dude, all 6'8" of his ass.
Old 19 December 2018, 17:02
Take care

This is legit. My PJ buddy got a tat from him of highly specific PJ symbol that those outside their community rarely know about. With all due respect to them, I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, so it isn’t my place to share it on the interwebs. But he did tell me this story and I have seen the tat on his ass... bunch of crazy fucks. Good warriors and great men, God Bless Em’.
There are amateur documentaries on YouTube. Here is Roger talking about it (skip to 2:48min in): https://youtu.be/7BvwWHzbJUY

And here’s another spot on Roger, what a warrior and great dude like everyone here said. I do not know him personally, I haven’t had that honor.
https://youtu.be/EZkhURfGn9k
Old 19 December 2018, 17:05
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
I have seen the tat on his ass...
You got some splainin to do, Lucy!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 19 December 2018, 17:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
.....and I have seen the tat on his ass...
....There are amateur documentaries
You know how I can tell you're gay?? :)
Old 19 December 2018, 17:13
Been There Done That

that tat's no big secret, especially considering that they paint it on everything they touch.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 19 December 2018, 17:14
Confirmed User

Thread in the PJ forum about MSG Sparks is here
Old 19 December 2018, 19:26
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
And here’s another spot on Roger, what a warrior and great dude like everyone here said. I do not know him personally, I haven’t had that honor.
I hope & think Mr. Sparks is getting the catharsis he needs.

You ain't alone MSgt.
Old 19 December 2018, 19:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
This is legit. My PJ buddy got a tat from him of highly specific PJ symbol that those outside their community rarely know about. With all due respect to them, I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere, so it isn’t my place to share it on the interwebs. But he did tell me this story and I have seen the tat on his ass... bunch of crazy fucks. Good warriors and great men, God Bless Em’.
There are amateur documentaries on YouTube. Here is Roger talking about it (skip to 2:48min in): https://youtu.be/7BvwWHzbJUY

In that first video, Jimmy Conrad appears. He’s a good buddy and former US Men’s National Team soccer player.

As to the tattoo, it’s not secret, nor solely a PJ thing. “Must be presented when requested” was our version of the tradition. Only obtained after rescuing someone in danger of losing life or limb.

Last edited by Rotor Strike please; 19 December 2018 at 19:38.
Old 19 December 2018, 20:01
Take care

Well I’ll let someone else spill the beans on what it is. As stated, I don’t feel it’s my lane to disclose. I don’t think I’ve ever heard/seen/read about it until I saw it for myself. I feel like I was read in to their tradition.

As far as gayness goes... I didn’t request him to present it... haha.
I just thought he was kidding and thus, it was presented as proof. High on the glueteus, so maybe 1/3 as gay as you guys think. It’s a great story none-the-less, but I guess I walked right into that one.

Last edited by justamedic; 19 December 2018 at 20:07.
Old 19 December 2018, 20:10
Six Minutes!

Yeah, they tag just about anything they can with that symbol(s).

I took a couple of 212th guys (210th back then) out on a real world rescue in our Army Guard UH-60 several years ago. The Pave's were all broke at the time IIRC. In the 3-4 hours they were in and around my helicopter on the mission, they tagged it in 4 places. It's a real PITA to get those stickers off of CARC paint.

As far as MSG Sparks, I didn't really know him, just saw him around. Kind of hard to miss a 7 foot dude in flippers lined up to jump off the ramp.

Old 19 December 2018, 20:26
Unemployed Stunt Double

This thread has adequately addressed the super-secret tattooed asses of PJs that some members have ogled...but hasn't got at the question that matters...who the f$%k is Scott Campbell, anyway?

Oh, and, those of you that like to admire tattoos on men's asses, it's cool. I don't judge.
Old 19 December 2018, 20:28
Red Headed Stepchild

Roger is a great human being. He's doing really well, and his tattoo skills are kind of unbelievable. Super talented. I am another who believes that he should have received the AF Cross instead of the SS.

He is kind of hard to miss, but believe it or not there is another guy in the 212th who is just about the same height, if not a little taller. There's another guy (also a badass) who we think of as the world's shortest PJ. When they are all standing together, it looks like a photoshop.

Campbell:
https://www.jber.jb.mil/News/News-Ar...ace-from-ptsd/
https://www.reddit.com/r/caseyneista...n_afghanistan/

There is plenty more if you google Scott Campbell and Casey Neistat.
Old 19 December 2018, 20:31
Six Minutes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_...(tattoo_artist)

From Roger Sparks' website:

Quote:
My passion for tattooing overtook me in November of 2010 while deployed to Afghanistan. Directly after experiencing a weeklong period of intense combat I was approached by three men about a film project. The three men were famed producer Casey Neistat, photographer/writer David Kuhn and an extremely tallented tattoo artist named Scott Campbell. They were attempting to capture the relationship of combat and tattooing in a documentary format. At first I did not know what to think. There was something deeply sincere about our interaction. I agreed initially thinking the distraction would give us space to digest recent events.
http://www.rogersparks.net/about-3/

Old 19 December 2018, 22:00
Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Seemed like there was a big effort to keep folks from wandering on to Bagram Air Base. Hescos, wire, interlocking fields of fire, ISR, the whole shebang. Scott Campbell is the real deal, I suppose, if he wandered past all that.
Quote:
but hasn't got at the question that matters...who the f$%k is Scott Campbell, anyway?
Wandered was a phrase... not literally; he travelled to Bagram with a film crew to tattoo servicemen. He’s a tattoo artist.

Our new posting rules