SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 13 January 2019, 16:58
Combat Arms Veteran

Iraq vs Afghanistan Conditions?

Hi all. It has been forever since I had posted on this site so just giving a quick background on me...I was prior infantry with a few deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan both as mil and contractor. After my first security gig in Iraq I wanted to change my career field and now I am doing Intel Analysis and have been so for quite some time. My last deployment was to Afghan in 2013 and Iraq in 2011.

My question is how has the living conditions changed since then? I have heard anywhere from 30 man open bay style tents to one man wet CHU's.

Sorry if this info is already out there but alot of what I have found on Youtube and the net is pretty outdated.
Old 13 January 2019, 17:48
exquisitus asinus

All depends on the contract and the location..

there are guys living/working in wet CHU's.. guys living and working in dry CHU's... guys in tents.. and guys in multi-room villas...

really just depends on who you are working for (both the company and the customer).. where you are working (not just the country.. but the actual location in the country).. what you are doing... and at what level you are doing it..

there really isnt a fixed answer to your question..

My best advice is to ask very specific questions of any recruiter and/or hiring manager you might speak to.. and let them know whats important to you.. hopefully they will be honest with you and let you know exactly what it is you would be looking at in terms of living conditions and quality of life, etc..
Old 15 January 2019, 11:29

I am working in Kabul right now. We live in hardened buildings, two to three men per room. The DFAC is good, but monotonous. The air quality here is about what you would expect, which is to say, abysmal. You will spend your first month or so coughing pretty much nonstop. There is a small gym, but as the compound is fairly small and getting more heavily populated as time goes on, there is nowhere to run or jog except the treadmill. I've only been here a short while, but I hear that the other camps have a variety of amenities, such as small exchanges, better food, single occupancy rooms and whatnot.

I cannot comment on Iraq, as I have not been there since 2005, other than to pass on some hopeful hearsay about the contract gigs in Irbil being very desirable. Can't confirm or deny, so your mileage may vary.
Old 15 January 2019, 16:24
Been There Done That

Air quality is much worse in Afghanistan than in Iraq.

Afghanistan gets much colder in Winter.

Roads are worse in Afghanistan.

Chinese food is better in Kabul than in Baghdad.

Overall, both places suck.
Old 16 January 2019, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Air quality is much worse in Afghanistan than in Iraq.

Afghanistan gets much colder in Winter.

Roads are worse in Afghanistan.

Chinese food is better in Kabul than in Baghdad.

Overall, both places suck.
Lol I must be crazy cause I love being in Afghanistan 😂
Old 17 January 2019, 10:34

DOS has better LSAs, you get a room to yourself. Wet chus in Baghdad are the type you share the bathroom but you have a sink and vanity in you're room
Old 26 January 2019, 14:57
Combat Arms Veteran

Im taking an interest in the ANASOC G2 Intel Trainer position with Engillity (now SAIC). Anyone on this contract? I have some questions.

Our new posting rules