SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 June 2019, 18:23
Confirmed User

Belgian Malinois as family pet

Looking to get a dog that will be great as a security dog and will also be part of the family. I grew up with two German shepherds and love them. But I am curious if anyone has had a malinois and could share their thoughts in this scenario - good choice? Bad choice?
Old 9 June 2019, 18:45
Road Scum

Several friends have mals as working dogs. They integrate well into a family at the end of the day. I would say training is key. They are a high energy/drive breed.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 9 June 2019, 18:47
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Looking to get a dog that will be great as a security dog and will also be part of the family. I grew up with two German shepherds and love them. But I am curious if anyone has had a malinois and could share their thoughts in this scenario - good choice? Bad choice?
As long as you know what you are getting into, not an issue. I love them, but...an acquired taste. Very different that GSDs. They are dumb as a sack of hammers, very high endurance, pain threshold that is...well, they just don't feel pain. Prone to fixations on odd things. Stubborn as ten old mules. You must be able to exercise a Malligator every day, or their oddball behavior gets more oddball. Great working dogs, not such great pets.
Old 9 June 2019, 18:49
Been There Done That

You need to talk to Mixedload.
Old 9 June 2019, 18:58
Been There Done That

Mr. Hank says, “Maliwhat? ......snort, please,....snort, sigh..”.

Get a Boxer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6C06546-8689-4850-8E01-C58489A550F5.jpg (22.9 KB, 368 views)
Old 9 June 2019, 19:35
Living The Grunt Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
As long as you know what you are getting into, not an issue. I love them, but...an acquired taste. Very different that GSDs. They are dumb as a sack of hammers, very high endurance, pain threshold that is...well, they just don't feel pain. Prone to fixations on odd things. Stubborn as ten old mules. You must be able to exercise a Malligator every day, or their oddball behavior gets more oddball. Great working dogs, not such great pets.
So you're saying they like to play with knives, machetes, saw blades, and things like that as play toys....

Seriously, I've always heard they were on the "not-so-bright" side of things, but made great working dogs. Go figure....
Old 9 June 2019, 19:37
killjoy

We went through a similar thread a year or two ago.
Short answer was no. Sticking with a GSD is the consensus.
Old 9 June 2019, 19:39
Living The Grunt Life

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Get a Boxer.
I love Boxers. I think they are one of the absolute best breeds out there.
Old 9 June 2019, 19:39
Freelancer

Hit up Milkbone skivvies.
Old 9 June 2019, 20:16
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
So you're saying they like to play with knives, machetes, saw blades, and things like that as play toys....

Seriously, I've always heard they were on the "not-so-bright" side of things, but made great working dogs. Go figure....
They are awesome working dogs. Mine is a retired working dog, MilkBoneSkivies hooked me up with him, and I love that dumbass dog. He is hard as woodpecker lips, and still hits like a truck when I'm training with him and we use the sleeve. But...as I wrote, an acquired taste. I've always had GSDs before. GSDs are much more stable, and a lot smarter.
Old 9 June 2019, 20:17
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Great working dogs, not such great pets.
My wife has trained GSD for Schutzhund and is very good with dogs, training, etc. She spends hours a week watching various training videos to make up for the fact that we don't have a dog right now. "Always learning". She would agree with you wholeheartedly about Mal's, (or even "real" GSD), and to paraphrase her, "unless you have a LOT of time to spend on the dog, DON'T."

She also subscribes to the idea (and I tend to agree) that it's a mistake to rely on a dog to protect you. She would tell you that what you really want is a dog that will alert you to potential problems so YOU can protect yourself. This can be most dogs, and now you would be free to pick a breed that can best integrate with your life. There are plenty of dogs in the pound that are deserving, they are there only because of the people who have owned them. If I have learned one thing from her endless holding forth on this subject, it's that 90% of the time it's the owner's fault, not the dog. To put it another way, think of it as beginning a new hobby that you are not going to quit for the life of the dog unless you are the kind of heartless MF'er who is going to drop the animal off at the pound because you were not equal to the task or didn't know what you were getting into.

FWIW, a guy named Jeff Gellman is one of her favorite trainers, lots of stuff on Youtube. I've been "forced" to watch more than a few of them and he seems to do really well with dogs that other people can't get anything out of.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 9 June 2019, 21:53
Been There Done That

Well, from what Bob says I can tell you I have found out this to be true of my Boxer.

He is very good at alerting me. Loud bark. A sixth sense. Then he lets me handle/investigate.

Allow me to try to convince you to get a boxer over Malinois.

Becomes very much part of the family. Gentle with older people - my elderly parents and playful with children. Never shown any aggression around kids or other people.

Except a few times. Zombie and Slashers coming to the door on Halloween, he growled like never before and thought he may attack (anyone comes to the door looking like that other than on 31 October, have at them!). And once playing in back yard with young nieces and nephews the gas meter guy came into the yard. Hank did not attack but immediately put himself between the kids and the gas guy, took a tight strong fighting stance and growled and barked - basically standing his ground and saying don’t come near these kids!

He is goofy, introverted at times, independent, and very smart. Very well trained for the most part. 90 pounds of pure muscle.

I sleep well knowing Hank will alter me, and his size and deep loud bark would scare off most.

He is 1/2 German/Euro Boxer and 1/2 American Boxer. But he has all the personality traits and physical looks of his Euro Boxer Father. If you want a boxer get a German/Euro one over an American one in my opinion. They will weigh about ten pounds more, not as jumpy, more utility, and they love to chew on wood. Hank is always finding a stick to munch on. They have a bit shorter snout, wider chest and not as tall.

I swear a boxer sometimes exhibits human characteristics. What turned me on to Boxers is one of my best friends has One, as does his 93 year old mom. I I saw how well they interacted with his elderly mom, and at the same time how well they were with his small children.

He needs a good walk every morning and evening and needs to spend about 10-15 minutes hard play with a ball. He is really good at fetch with his small soccer ball. Do that and he chills the rest of the day. And Bo era love a good tug of war.

Last edited by leopardprey; 9 June 2019 at 22:07.
Old 9 June 2019, 23:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
You must be able to exercise a Malligator every day, or their oddball behavior gets more oddball. Great working dogs, not such great pets.
This is incredibly true. The mental stimulation is key. Don't fall for the whole idea that it's a smaller, less hairy, GSD. It's a completely different breed. I have a CZ Working Line Shepherd. He has a fantastic on/off switch but if I don't do much with him over the course of a few days he starts turning into a massive pain in the ass.

Having a job where I average 220ish hours a month at work, not counting my commute, I can barely keep up with his needs. He needs to be tracking, doing obedience, have time to play tug, be loved on, run a few miles a week etc and if I can get him into any kind of protection training...he sleeps like a baby.

I'm juggling his needs with my wifes, my kids, finishing school, my job...

Now read the above and amplify the dogs needs well beyond what I wrote out. Malinois are not bred to be pets. The Maligator name doesn't just come from Instagram posts of a cool guy letting his dog take a chunk out of a third world booger-eater...it's primarily from the insanely destructive nature these dogs easily descend into when they're not constantly engaged.

Mals also, as Gavin said, tend not to necessarily be the brightest creatures out there. They're goofballs but they can also be very nervy. Imagine being around an overcaffeinated crossfitter. I've met some wonderful Mals when I worked abroad and I loved those dogs...but they also worked and worked and worked before I got to play tug with them at the end of the night or morning.

With that said, I'm going to be dead serious here and save both you, your family, and the dog some heartache:

The fact that you asked that question shows that you aren't ready for a Malinois. It may sound harsh but don't try to prove me or anyone else wrong. They're not for novice handlers. Most Malinois rescues won't even consider someone who hasn't owned one before because of the crazy commitment you have to make to them.

I'd instead recommend you pass on the dog, and very carefully assess your true willingness to be the best human you could be for that type of a dog. In terms of whether or not retired working dogs make good family pets...you're going to get varying opinions based on personal anecdotes. In my limited experience, never having been a K9 handler, nor an accomplished dog sports handler, I will say that there's really only two kinds of working dogs for families: Those who are happy to be with the family and those who only want to be with their handler.

A good breeder can help with that decision a lot (they will pick a dog for you - run the other way if they allow you to pick your own) and if you happen to come across a good fit...you'll know it.

As I'm finishing up this post, I'm going to grab my beast and take him for a run this evening. It's hot, so we'll keep it short, but it'll allow me to sleep in my bed again since my wife's been...uh..."challenged" with him today.

If there's anything I can do to help you find a good dog please PM me.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 10 June 2019, 00:31
Confirmed User

Thank you all for the great feedback. Mixed Load - no feelings hurt here at all. It’s one of the reasons why I asked the question here; I knew I would get the best advice for the right reasons. You are correct- I am not able to be a proper owner for that type of dog. Looks like I will be checking out shepherds and boxers to start with...
Old 10 June 2019, 00:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Get a Boxer.
Great photo LP !
Old 10 June 2019, 00:35
What could possibly go wrong?

I’ve handled dogs and also ran the K-9 unit. Short answer is same as all the above...’Noids do not make good family pets. However if your a prior dog handler and are maybe retired and have the time to work the dog everyday.......maybe...but there are better family dogs to be had
Old 10 June 2019, 00:51
Amaint de Merde

Mal story from a buddy at work. His partner survived a dirtbag stabbing him two years ago and is as crazy as ever. A few years back he had driven to the city to meet up with a US Attorney for a case. He parked on the upper floor of the parking garage across the street from the courthouse. He was going to let his Mal out to get some exercise before his meeting.

He turned his back and his Mal bounced out of his rig and promptly jumped off the side of the parking garage. My buddy was freaked out (naturally thinking his dog just committed suicide) and rushed to the side to see a dazed Mal stumbling around on the street several floors below. He ran down to find him wandering around looking like he didn’t know what happened. One broken leg and 2 missing teeth.

Another buddy from work has a deserted track of road by his house that he can do 7 mile loops on. He takes his dog there and does 7 plus miles with it following next to him while he drives.

They’re odd dogs!
Old 10 June 2019, 04:34
Been There Done That

Good post Mixedload.....as I was one of those with the impression they were just smaller GSDs.

It always amazes me that some people get a breed of dog, a big mean looking dog like a GSD, Rottweiler, Doberman, Great Dane, etc.. and yes even a Boxer cause the dog looks “cool” or us a cute puppy. Without really doing the research on the breed, willing to put the time in training or exercising the dog, , realizing the problems, etc.
Old 10 June 2019, 05:37
Authorized Personnel

USMC_3M

You've already had all the advice I'd have given you. To beat the dead horse. Creeping up on two decades of "doing dogs" I wouldn't have a Malinios for myself, even if given a choice for a working partner. Worked a fuzzy cousin of the Malinios in Iraq (Tervuren) who was an awesome working dog, but took more effort than any GSD I've ever worked and those pooches are the "milder" of the Belgian herding breeds.

As was also sagely stated, dogs aren't protection but a deterrent, a time buffer so you can prepare. If you want scary looking but lovable, tractable and mid level maintenance wise look for a well bred Doberman. Has all the qualities of a no shit people eater to the bad guy, but would be just as happy sleeping on the couch with your 7 yr old (or watching you in the bathroom lol).
Old 10 June 2019, 07:16
Authorized Personnel

My neighbor has a Belgian Malinois. They are great as long as they are worked. I feel bad for this one because it isn't worked every day, so it has ended up with attitude problems and is a bit spazzy.

Our new posting rules