SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 June 2019, 10:58
Appalachian RidgeRunner

Converting MFF jumps to Civilian license

After retirement of 6 years, I'm starting to get the itch to jump again. For someone that did not log a civilian book, but has a digital AF record of every jump location, altitude, etc.., is there a feasible way of converting that to a current license?
Old 10 June 2019, 11:19
Administrator

Box should be able to answer that one for you. Shoot him a PM.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 10 June 2019, 11:52
Appalachian RidgeRunner

Thanks, Sharky..

The thoughts that run through your mind during a mid life crisis..
Old 10 June 2019, 12:16
In Vino Veritas

Take your log book and orders to the DZ and do a check dive. I finished Yuma and met my team during sustainment training. Between the basic course and training I had right at enough for a B license (50 jumps). I had to BS that I had a few lame requirements but I did the check dive and got my B license, easy day. Of course this was at Eloy where they know who we are.
Old 10 June 2019, 12:51
Been There Done That

Was wondering about this myself. I never researched it but getting the same bug as Ridge Runner. I miss it. There is a local airstrip that has a club here. Just afraid the opening shock will snap my polytraumatic body in two.

Karl Childers
Old 10 June 2019, 12:52
BTDT

Sweet - nothing like making the "flock" bigger. Directly to the point from the USPA 'SIM'- License qualifications made during military training jumps that meet the BSRs may be properly recorded on the application for that USPA license and verified by the appropriate USPA official.

I'll offer a few things out here in the open instead of sending a PM to just one person: (I'll call it my "recruiting attempt" to get more MFF jumpers interested in jumping in Bermuda shorts and Tevas)

First things first - you have to join the USPA to get licensed:
https://uspa.org/register

A lot of Military jumpers shy away from sport jumping because of the enduring perception that sport jumpers are mostly dope smoking hippies with a blue skies black death attitude. Just like everything else, much of that depends on where you go - there are undoubtedly some places that play fast and loose with "safety" but most places are very particular about how they mitigate the risks associated with skydiving. The USPA is particular about licensing because USPA licenses are recognized around the world by the World Air Sports Federation.

Once you have joined USPA you will have to document the required training on a couple of proficiency cards as well as taking written tests for the licenses you want.

A License = 25 Jumps / 5 group jumps with 2 or more participants /written test / completed and signed A-License proficiency card.

B License = 100 jumps / 30 minutes of accumulated free fall / landed within 33 feet of target center on at least 10 jumps / 10 formation jump with at least 5 of those jumps having 3 or more participants / live water training (a military water jump meets this requirement) / completed the canopy proficiency card / pass the written test

C License =200 jumps / 60 minutes of accumulated free fall / landed within 7 feet of target center on at least 25 jumps / 50 formation jump with at least 10 of those jumps having 4 or more participants / pass the written test

D License = 500 jumps / 3 hours of accumulated free fall / landed within 7 feet of target center on at least 25 jumps / 50 formation jump with at least 10 of those jumps having 4 or more participants / 2 night jumps / pass the written test

Download and fill out the following USPA forms:
https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/Form_LicenseApp.pdf
https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/For...ProfandApp.pdf
https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/For...ciencyCard.pdf

Any current USPA Instructor can sign/verify the blocks on the A-License Proficiency Card. An Instructor can sign blocks on the canopy card but an Examiner or Safety&Training Advisor must validate the canopy card.
Any USPA Instructor can administer and document B and C License written tests. D-License tests must be done by an Examiner, S&TA, or USPA Board Member.

I recommend that anyone making the transition to sport parachuting STUDY the appropriate section of the Skydivers Information Manual BEFORE taking the written tests. MFF jumpers fail the written tests ALL OF THE TIME because they apply MFF rules instead of USPA and FAA rules. Feel Free to PM me if you are curious about Drop Zones in your area.

Please activate all ropes and cables prior to impact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Just afraid the opening shock will snap my polytraumatic body in two.
Even the worst modern sport canopies open softer than the old MT1-XX or MC-4 canopies.
While they are all a lot smaller than military rigs, they alsofly with greater efficiency and responsiveness. The MT1-XX AND MC-4 are both 370 square foot canopies - students at my drop zone are taught on 200-280 square foot canopies depending on their suspended weight.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield

Last edited by Box; 10 June 2019 at 12:58.
Old 10 June 2019, 13:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Sweet - nothing like making the "flock" bigger. Directly to the point from the USPA 'SIM'- License qualifications made during military training jumps that meet the BSRs may be properly recorded on the application for that USPA license and verified by the appropriate USPA official.

I'll offer a few things out here in the open instead of sending a PM to just one person: (I'll call it my "recruiting attempt" to get more MFF jumpers interested in jumping in Bermuda shorts and Tevas)

First things first - you have to join the USPA to get licensed:
https://uspa.org/register

A lot of Military jumpers shy away from sport jumping because of the enduring perception that sport jumpers are mostly dope smoking hippies with a blue skies black death attitude. Just like everything else, much of that depends on where you go - there are undoubtedly some places that play fast and loose with "safety" but most places are very particular about how they mitigate the risks associated with skydiving. The USPA is particular about licensing because USPA licenses are recognized around the world by the World Air Sports Federation.

Once you have joined USPA you will have to document the required training on a couple of proficiency cards as well as taking written tests for the licenses you want.

A License = 25 Jumps / 5 group jumps with 2 or more participants /written test / completed and signed A-License proficiency card.

B License = 100 jumps / 30 minutes of accumulated free fall / landed within 33 feet of target center on at least 10 jumps / 10 formation jump with at least 5 of those jumps having 3 or more participants / live water training (a military water jump meets this requirement) / completed the canopy proficiency card / pass the written test

C License =200 jumps / 60 minutes of accumulated free fall / landed within 7 feet of target center on at least 25 jumps / 50 formation jump with at least 10 of those jumps having 4 or more participants / pass the written test

D License = 500 jumps / 3 hours of accumulated free fall / landed within 7 feet of target center on at least 25 jumps / 50 formation jump with at least 10 of those jumps having 4 or more participants / 2 night jumps / pass the written test

Download and fill out the following USPA forms:
https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/Form_LicenseApp.pdf
https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/For...ProfandApp.pdf
https://uspa.org/Portals/0/files/For...ciencyCard.pdf

Any current USPA Instructor can sign/verify the blocks on the A-License Proficiency Card. An Instructor can sign blocks on the canopy card but an Examiner or Safety&Training Advisor must validate the canopy card.
Any USPA Instructor can administer and document B and C License written tests. D-License tests must be done by an Examiner, S&TA, or USPA Board Member.

I recommend that anyone making the transition to sport parachuting STUDY the appropriate section of the Skydivers Information Manual BEFORE taking the written tests. MFF jumpers fail the written tests ALL OF THE TIME because they apply MFF rules instead of USPA and FAA rules. Feel Free to PM me if you are curious about Drop Zones in your area.

Please activate all ropes and cables prior to impact...

Even the worst modern sport canopies open softer than the old MT1-XX or MC-4 canopies.
While they are all a lot smaller than military rigs, they alsofly with greater efficiency and responsiveness. The MT1-XX AND MC-4 are both 370 square foot canopies - students at my drop zone are taught on 200-280 square foot canopies depending on their suspended weight.

I hereby nominate you and Tracy to form and head up the SOCNET Parachute Demonstration Team. We have plenty of pilots, airplanes and dudes like you who are jumping anyway....LOL
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 10 June 2019, 14:34
Appalachian RidgeRunner

Quote:
enduring perception that sport jumpers are mostly dope smoking hippies with a blue skies black death attitude.
Well hell, that was the only reason why I was tryin' to get back in. Missed the damn train again...
Old 10 June 2019, 14:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I hereby nominate you and Tracy to form and head up the SOCNET Parachute Demonstration Team. We have plenty of pilots, airplanes and dudes like you who are jumping anyway....LOL
I hope Doc Donovan isn't a member. He sucks at grouping.

At what point in your licensing category above do you meet the requirement for JM in jumping USPA?

Karl Childers
Old 10 June 2019, 16:58
BTDT

Someone with a USPA"A" license is able to spot for himself and give another jumper a gear check.
Someone with a "B" license and 100 jumps can pursue a USPA Coach rating - "Coach" is the first instructional rating in the USPA hierarchy.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 11 June 2019, 05:02
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I wasn't an MFF guy, just a service academy parachute team guy a long time ago. I stopped jumping a while back for a combination of reasons, but mostly because going down to the local DZ and jumping with the rando dudes there didn't really compete with jumping with my team buddies.

Just throwing it out there...a SOCJUMP wouldn't be a bad idea. I'll dust off my D license
Old 11 June 2019, 08:11
BTDT

Some of the most memorable jumps I have been on were just plain old "SpecOps Rounds" done during HALO train ups.
Just a 'wild geese' exit and everybody builds a round. If you get in - you get in - if you dont you dont.
If you dont get in - you suck
If you went low - you suck
Who ever lands farthest out - you suck

An identical jump at a civilian DZ would have been referred to as a "Zoo" and some folks would have been irate that they wasted a lift ticket on such buffoonery.
But for team guys - a boogie load during a HALO train up after jumping a ruck sack all day long was like a gift from the gods. Somehow you could could spend 30 minutes dirt diving something as mindless as a big round only to have six or seven people actually get in and dock safely and then spend the rest of the day "debriefing" over beers.

One minute of free fall - hours of conversation. Totally worth the price of admission.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 11 June 2019, 12:31
Been There Done That

I might not fit in with those folks Box. My best exit is the "'Cannonball".

Karl Childers
Old 11 June 2019, 19:45
Been There Done That

Need to knock some dust off my license, but I'd be down to jump with you all!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Old 11 June 2019, 21:07
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

USPA membership kit, log book, and helmet en route. Unfortunately, I still have to lose another 15 pounds before I can jump at the USPA-affiliated DZ, and they won't let me use my MC-4. I've lost 45 since January, so 15 more by August when I'm on leave is do-able. I hope.

Edited to add: If any of you are coming to the PI, I've got the hookup (pun intended) with the military skydiving community in the Philippines, and a private DZ to go along with the military DZs. In fact, an acquaintance of mine who is a Major in the Scout Rangers jumped this morning with a foreign unit (not specified) providing the aircraft.

Here he is somewhere over DZ Musang this AM with a couple of new friends:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64290486_2656545144375152_4702144188664250368_n.jpg (44.1 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by kpel308; 11 June 2019 at 21:16.
Old 11 June 2019, 21:47
Drawing my cutlass

Will someone please hook these brothers up with a Caravan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cessna.208b.n208nj.arp_-790x508.jpg (27.9 KB, 151 views)

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 June 2019, 21:52
Administrator

All over some of this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gasp.jpg (29.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 103.jpg (12.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 11 June 2019, 21:53
Been There Done That

No Casa's please.

Karl Childers
Old 11 June 2019, 22:00
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
No Casa's please.
Fine. Here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 640px-US_Army_C-212.jpg (75.1 KB, 149 views)

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 June 2019, 22:13
Been There Done That

I think Frog started in a C-47. That'll work for me.

Karl Childers

Our new posting rules