SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 June 2019, 23:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Anyone got a hot air balloon?
I have a powered paraglider. I just fly where ever I want. There are a lot of balloons here in ABQ.... they get really excited when I fly around them.....
Old 13 June 2019, 04:33
In Vino Veritas

When did USPA go to 100 jumps vs 50 for a B license?
Old 13 June 2019, 06:52
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Old 13 June 2019, 08:06
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Birds. Havenít heard about who is stealing that.
We have members who own airplanes. I just haven't outed them yet... LOL
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 13 June 2019, 10:07
Old Scroll

HH6 had a C license, but quit jumping a while after she gave up the Harley. She gave all of her gear to the (same size as her) Polish Catholic priest with Alopecia who was jumping a few years ago at Orange.

As we get older, risk aversion starts to kick in more and more. I sold my Harley 19 years ago. I'll be happy to keep the bug juice jug filled with icy cold wet stuff down on the ground.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 13 June 2019, 10:38
Appalachian RidgeRunner

You could always count on good ol' Ralph in Oregon to get you a last minute pay jump. He was a Korean War veteran, and as long as you gave him 24hr notification, he would fly.

As a newb to the Portland team, and a SLJM, MFFJM, Non standard, etc.., I thought the guys were screwing with me that this was the aircraft we were going to use?! How did I go from Hercs, Chinooks, Skyvans, and C-17's, to..... this. A Cessna 172 that had to be jumped from a car battery.

Ralph had ripped the co-pilot seat and instruments out, and the door was on the passenger side; the hinge was at the top, and you had to swing it up to open. With Ralph as pilot, the max you could get in was (4) total.

The runway was full grass strip, right next to his house, and the departure end had telephone poles/wires that required him to pull a steep angle right after take-off. Some type of buzzer would sound off inside the cabin everytime he would pull pitch... wtf.

No one briefed me that you had to hold the jump door closed, or it would fling open midflight. Ever have a Korean war vet yell at you because you didn't hold the jump door closed??

Couldn't wait to get out of that thing.

Old 13 June 2019, 10:49
BTDT

Quote:
Still 50 jumps for a B' but with B and 100 jumps and you can attend a USPA Coach rating course

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFpj View Post
.....Couldn't wait to get out of that thing.
My first paid skydiving gig was out of planes like that. I've been at a couple of DZ's that may as well have put wings on a 74 Ford Pinto - I think Cessna aircraft are built out of old soda cans, duct tape, bailing wire, and rubber bands - but they will probably outlast mankind.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield

Last edited by Box; 13 June 2019 at 11:05.
Old 13 June 2019, 10:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFpj View Post
You could always count on good ol' Ralph in Oregon to get you a last minute pay jump. He was a Korean War veteran, and as long as you gave him 24hr notification, he would fly.

As a newb to the Portland team, and a SLJM, MFFJM, Non standard, etc.., I thought the guys were screwing with me that this was the aircraft we were going to use?! How did I go from Hercs, Chinooks, Skyvans, and C-17's, to..... this. A Cessna 172 that had to be jumped from a car battery.

Ralph had ripped the co-pilot seat and instruments out, and the door was on the passenger side; the hinge was at the top, and you had to swing it up to open. With Ralph as pilot, the max you could get in was (4) total.

The runway was full grass strip, right next to his house, and the departure end had telephone poles/wires that required him to pull a steep angle right after take-off. Some type of buzzer would sound off inside the cabin everytime he would pull pitch... wtf.

No one briefed me that you had to hold the jump door closed, or it would fling open midflight. Ever have a Korean war vet yell at you because you didn't hold the jump door closed??

Couldn't wait to get out of that thing.
Sounds about right for your average Cessna DZ. Must have made close to 1k jumps out of 172s and 182s over the years, there's easier platforms for AFF and tandems - exits can be pretty interesting, especially for the main side instructor.
The buzzer you heard most likely was the stall warning.

Beats jumping out of an ultralight into a clearing at an estimated altitude of a little over 2000k ft and praying for the opening not to snivel.
Old 13 June 2019, 13:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
We have members who own airplanes. I just haven't outed them yet... LOL
Well then.... whenís manifest?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 13 June 2019, 13:38
Appalachian RidgeRunner

I got med support covered if I get a free jump at COB..
Old 13 June 2019, 21:52
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

My friends use a stripped-out Cessna, as well. No door to hold closed. If you like old school, they also have some REALLY old school: UH-1D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56381601_10157526900219467_3489561387837947904_o.jpg (23.7 KB, 154 views)
Old 13 June 2019, 22:09
Been There Done That

I love helo jumps. Favorite was from CH-47 at 14,000. It was almost hovering. Got 3 in that day.

Always wanted to bail off the platform of a Skycrane. Was manifested once but no jump.

Karl Childers
Old 14 June 2019, 02:36
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

The incident in my avatar was from a Slovakian Mi-8. Great jump, until the last 1/10th of a second.
Old 14 June 2019, 23:04
BTDT

Quote:
I just looked at the USPA SIM, it's 50 jumps for the B license. You need 100 with a B to do night jumps (fuck that).
Old 14 June 2019, 23:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
I just looked at the USPA SIM, it's 50 jumps for the B license. You need 100 with a B to do night jumps (fuck that).
Come on, you know that's where the fun is, jumping on a darkened DZ at night, with close to no illum. So dark you can't even make out the tree line until you are real close and drop your ruck and it hits the ground before the lowering line bottoms out.

Yeah, you're right fuck that, we are retired (well I am at least!).
Old 15 June 2019, 03:12
Appalachian RidgeRunner

Quote:
So dark you can't even make out the tree line until you are real close and drop your ruck and it hits the ground before the lowering line bottoms out.
Broke my back out at Eglin Ranger Camp once on a night MFF. Had a malfunction, cut away, then had a line over on the reserve.

As I was cruising through the atmosphere at what felt like mach speed, I was only thinking of 2 things in accordance with the checklist- how the hell do you know your descent rate is at night?!, and man, I hope I don't get one of those pine trees up the arse...
Old 15 June 2019, 03:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Always wanted to bail off the platform of a Skycrane. Was manifested once but no jump.
I've been fortunate to have a few Skycrane jumps. The coolest part is the slow speed. At jump altitude, it appeared to be stationary so it felt like jumping off a very high ledge to me.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 15 June 2019, 14:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
I've been fortunate to have a few Skycrane jumps. The coolest part is the slow speed. At jump altitude, it appeared to be stationary so it felt like jumping off a very high ledge to me.
Absolutely. Same w/Chinook at 14,000. Not much forward speed. I guess that would be very similar to a BASE jump.

Never done a balloon jump either. That would be awesome.

Karl Childers
Old 15 June 2019, 14:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
[...]BASE jump.[...]

Never done a balloon jump either. That would be awesome.
Why not do both? This was out of a balloon, 1600ft - It's dark down in the basement. I'm obviously more risk averse these days.

https://vimeo.com/342475492

Thank you for considering my application for the S&TA position at the SOCNET DZ.
Old 15 June 2019, 15:28
Been There Done That

That's fucking awesome. I've heard guys who have jumped them static line say they can hear the rubber bands pop while the static line does its thing.

Karl Childers

Our new posting rules