SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 27 June 2017, 08:25
Been There Done That

Boxing only, eh? I won't be spending money on a 1 to 2 round fight. If it goes further it will only be for show.
Old 27 June 2017, 09:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Oh, I am sure there is a lengthy clause concerning this situation should it arise...(Ali, if I remember correctly did the same styled stunt once upon a time, long ago and far away)
Ali got in the ring with "Gorilla" Monsoon and got locked up before he knew it and beat a fast retreat. Afterward, Monsoon was asked what he thought of the situation. He replied "That guy wouldn't know a wrist lock from a door lock!" or words to that effect.
Old 27 June 2017, 17:50
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

In looking up Gorilla Monsoon, I learned one more interesting piece of trivia from the world of wrestling that I never knew.

"Kayfabe", a little bit of code between those in the business of professional wrestling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe
Old 28 June 2017, 13:15
Been There Done That

My opinion, which doesn't mean shit is as follows. If CM wins it's by KO or TKO, if FM wins it's by points. Diaz out weighs FM by about 30 lbs come fight night and was landing some solid shots on CM with MMA gloves on no less and couldn't knock out CM. I don't think FM has enough for the KO.
Old 29 June 2017, 08:40
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhes160 View Post
My opinion, which doesn't mean shit is as follows. If CM wins it's by KO or TKO, if FM wins it's by points. Diaz out weighs FM by about 30 lbs come fight night and was landing some solid shots on CM with MMA gloves on no less and couldn't knock out CM. I don't think FM has enough for the KO.
If nothing else is said about this fight, I think that this comment holds true. FM is good and undefeated because he is hard to hit; not because he is a power puncher.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 29 June 2017, 13:40

What I would like to see, and it would require a time machine, would be to travel back and pick up FM in his prime, then continue on to the early 80s so that he could fight Hagler, Hearns, Duran and most importantly, Leonard.

Those would be some interesting bouts.
Old 29 June 2017, 14:11
Been There Done That

I have the 24x7 UFC channel. They have some show called "UFC Knockouts" or something close. Every non-leg strike knockout on the episode I watched was the result of the fighter not protecting his chin.

I watched both televised MMA evets this past weekend. All the things that are at best no-nos in boxing and often fatal flaws were on display - hanging jabs, unprotected chins, going straight back, not moving the head, etc.

I really respect a lot of the commenters on here but still cannot connect the dots from striking in a league where such errors aren't ruthlessly punished to having a chance by striking against one of the best boxers in the world.

Puncher's chance? Remember that Maidana didn't beat Floyd on the judge's scorecard in their first fight (which I thought Maidana clearly won) and throws harder than CM or ND.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 29 June 2017, 14:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
What I would like to see, and it would require a time machine, would be to travel back and pick up FM in his prime, then continue on to the early 80s so that he could fight Hagler, Hearns, Duran and most importantly, Leonard.

Those would be some interesting bouts.
FM would have beaten them all, except Leonard--both are very similar-styled boxers, and THAT would be a fight all the way to the cards. I'd love to have seen it...
Old 29 June 2017, 14:54

I totally disagree with that, I don't think FM ever fought boxers with the pure punching power of all 4.

I think he probably could have beat Duran, would give Hearns a run for his money but get totally beat by either Hagler or Leonard.

Of course, we'll need that time machine to settle the question once and for all.
Old 29 June 2017, 14:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
If nothing else is said about this fight, I think that this comment holds true. FM is good and undefeated because he is hard to hit; not because he is a power puncher.
The worst thing CM can do is rush FM...Mayweather will pick him apart as he's backing away. Conditioning I don't see as a problem, but it's like taking a great softball player and putting him in a baseball league--a lot of similarities between the two sports, but a totally different ballgame when you step up to the plate...and FM is on the mound.
Old 29 June 2017, 15:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
I totally disagree with that, I don't think FM ever fought boxers with the pure punching power of all 4.

I think he probably could have beat Duran, would give Hearns a run for his money but get totally beat by either Hagler or Leonard.

Of course, we'll need that time machine to settle the question once and for all.
I'll agree that Leonard 'likely' would have won on a split--Hearns in his prime, a good run. Hagler and Duran, probably not. But I agree, it's all opinion and we'll never know--but damn, think of the match-ups throughout boxing history--Tyson vs Marciano, etc.
Old 29 June 2017, 15:05
Been There Done That

...and for the record, I am not a huge FM fan, but the fucker has good hands, quick feet, and his head is always a moving target. He's hard to tag...record speaks for itself.
Old 29 June 2017, 15:19

He's a very good boxer, no doubt about it. He became a more defensive boxer as his career went on, which probably accounted for his record and longevity.

I actually think he would have had a better chance prior to his metamorphis to that bobbing and weaving, moving target. His younger, more aggressive self would have probably stood a better chance, but we'll never know.

One of the reasons I didn't get too interested in his big fight with Manny was because they waited too long, it would have been more compelling when they were both about 5-10 years younger.
Old 29 June 2017, 16:00
#AllLionsMatter

Lightbulb If he can't knock-out CM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
...and for the record, I am not a huge FM fan, but the fucker has good hands, quick feet, and his head is always a moving target. He's hard to tag...record speaks for itself.
He'll just T-off on his head for embarrassment...
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 29 June 2017, 16:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
He's a very good boxer, no doubt about it. He became a more defensive boxer as his career went on, which probably accounted for his record and longevity.

I actually think he would have had a better chance prior to his metamorphis to that bobbing and weaving, moving target. His younger, more aggressive self would have probably stood a better chance, but we'll never know.

One of the reasons I didn't get too interested in his big fight with Manny was because they waited too long, it would have been more compelling when they were both about 5-10 years younger.
Totally agree on all points...
Old 29 June 2017, 16:47
Shakin' the bush Boss

My original statement remains in effect.

Quote:
I'd like to see them both get a mouthful of glove, at least it would shut them up for a minute.
Old 1 July 2017, 14:37

I only saw the report last week, but it appears that the promoters for the fight announced the date and where the bout would take place before they checked with the actual venue to inquire about open dates there.

Turns out T-Mobile arena had already been booked by Ice Cube's startup Big 3 basketball league. Although as I read a report online, it actually appears that Dana White is the one who announced that it would be at T-Mobile.

How much action, in terms of promoting the fight, is Dana White and UFC getting, if any? The way Mayweather was talking, it sounded like he was going to be left out in the cold.
Old 1 July 2017, 17:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
How much action, in terms of promoting the fight, is Dana White and UFC getting, if any?
The way I understand it FM's TMT will own the promotion of the entire undercard.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 1 July 2017, 20:57
Confirmed User

McGregor talked his way into a huge payday for a fight he will have no chance to win. Forbes said he may walk away with $75 mil. I read a couple articles before that said $100+ mil.
Old 1 July 2017, 22:39

May weather may make that, I doubt McGregor will get that much.

I've heard the figure of $25 million tossed around for him, still a better payday than if he'd just stuck to MMA fights.

Our new posting rules