SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old Today, 09:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
See my previous post about how the canon was formed.

I get it. Youíre a faith guy and heart Paul.

Those of us who donít will be fine. Guess one day we will find out if he was false or not.

Not believing Paul = no harm no foul since thereís a belief in Jesus.

Believing Paul and not doing works? Uh oh...
You know, those of who believe Paul, also believe Jesus, right? I think we're OK . I also know Catholics, although they believe some things differently, also believe Jesus is the son of God who died and was resurrected, so that covers them as well.
Old Today, 09:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTx View Post
I'm no expert, but what about Joel Osteen and John Hagee?
Good point. Osteen reaches more people in a weekend than all of the early apostles and church reached in hundreds of years, and he says all you have to do is recite his silly prayer and youíre saved. Thatís Paul based theology.

But Jesus and James say otherwise. Are they really saved? Just for repeating his prayer and going to his church? He never preaches works that Iíve heard.
Old Today, 09:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Good point. Osteen reaches more people in a weekend than all of the early apostles and church reached in hundreds of years, and he says all you have to do is recite his silly prayer and youíre saved. Thatís Paul based theology.

But Jesus and James say otherwise. Are they really saved? Just for repeating his prayer and going to his church? He never preaches works that Iíve heard.
Well, not really....

Don't know much about Hagee, but Osteen preaches a cheap grace/prosperity message; popular on the surface, but theologically flawed. Now where his followers fall I have no clue.
Old Today, 09:43
Been There Done That

So, does anyone ever wonder if the Angels decision to be labeled "Elect or Evil" is still an ongoing decision for some, and not something that was decided once and for all millenia ago.

We see in Job how satan still had access to God's court even though he was the enemy, then there is Revelation 12:4 and 7. Did Luke 10:18 occur r during the time that the 72 were spreading the gospel. And has Gabriel who announced the future birth to Mary, somehow changed sides and presented Islam to Mohammed as is reported ?
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old Today, 09:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Well, not really....

Don't know much about Hagee, but Osteen preaches a cheap grace/prosperity message; popular on the surface, but theologically flawed. Now where his followers fall I have no clue.
Can't stand either one of those charlatans.

Joel Osteen house is situated in Houston in a wealthy suburb known as River Oaks. The house cost him $10.5 million, and Joel and his wife also own a second $2.9 million mansion in Tanglewood, Houston

I have an issue with this. Not saying a minister needs to live in a shack, but this is the other extreme.

I guess all those Christians I met living in poverty in Nepal and Honduras just must not be praying hard enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Today, 09:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
As I mentioned before I was saved in 2015 and am full of gratitude and humility that God called me. I believe he has been calling me for twenty years but I finally answered his call.

Now he has placed on my heart a calling to help the poor in my city - I'd say this has been on my heart for the last year or so but I've never acted on it. Perhaps a "soup kitchen" mission here in Vegas, or working with folks who are addicted, or perhaps meeting with a fellow usher who has a group where each person cooks a dish every Tuesday morning to feed the homeless. This has been on my heart for a year and I'm going to act on this finally. I can't ignore God any longer regarding this calling.

But one of the commandments God has placed on my heart - the Great Commission in Matthew 28:16-20 - is something I've never done. There is an art to this and it is more nuanced than perhaps I'm ready for but I would like to bring someone to Christ. Even if it is just an invitation to one of our services.

Has anybody brought someone the Christ before?
Only when asked one on one. For example, when asked how I was dealing with a rough situation.

ďTyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.Ē
― Thomas Jefferson
Old Today, 14:53
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTx View Post
I'm no expert, but what about Joel Osteen and John Hagee?
I consider Joel Osteen a pseudo-Christian pastor and I don't think his message is Christ centered at all. I am certainly not alone in my thinking that he is a prosperity gospel preacher - everything is going to be fine and you'll have great success, yada yada yada. I have nothing against him personally, but I wouldn't recommend him to any Christian. I remember John Hagee from the late 80's when he was on T.V. I don't watch or read him and don't have any opinion one way or the other.
Old Today, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post
Only when asked one on one. For example, when asked how I was dealing with a rough situation.
Yeah I would never walk up on someone and start freaking them out with "can I give you my testimony?"

I would handle it the way you would, and ask them to attend one of my services no strings attached.
Old Today, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
The counter argument to this though is does that make radical Islam the truth then, so so many are willing to die for that faith as well? There have been many Buddhist monks as well who have given their life willingly for their faith also.
I am still researching this question because I think it is a good one. I am not an apologetics philosopher but I do want to defend my faith.

In the meantime I am going to try to answer this question through research:

Does Islam or Buddhism have a history of its first/earliest members being "put to the sword" for refusing to deny their faith?
Old Today, 17:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Thatís Paul based theology.
Just because Olsteen misuses Paul's writings doesn't mean his teaching is based on Paul's teaching.

You can make Jesus' words, out of context, teach worse doctrine than Joel Olsteen ever uttered.

Our new posting rules